U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times

Advertisements

Yesterday's official announcement about Google's plans to develop solar power and wind power are certainly intriguing. Most of these plans seem to entail massive wind farms and then facilities to convert the energy into steam. I'm not quite sure that I understand how the steam will get to homes (pipes, maybe?), or if this energy resource would only be available to new developments built for this purpose.

How do you think these concepts will affect city planning? I think this has potential to cause a paradigm shift in suburban development, at the very least.

Opinions?

By the way, if you don't know what I'm talking about I've cut and pasted a news clipping about this below. There is plenty of other articles on the web about it, too. This is pretty exciting (IMO):

Google Plans to Develop Cheaper Solar, Wind Power

By Ari Levy

Nov. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Google Inc., whose corporate motto is ``don't be evil,'' created a research group to develop cheaper renewable energy sources, focusing on solar, wind and other alternative forms of power.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2007 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: [cut - too much of the article reposted]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 AM

32,260 posts, read 54,969,343 times
Coincidence^

Im a shareholder in Google and learned about this development a little while ago. From what I understand, they were exploring ways to make the company more energy efficient and now its bloomed into a model that could be implemented on a much larger scale.

Interesting to see how this all pans out.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM

331 posts, read 1,480,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Investors might worry about the company's ``long-term focus'' and questioned whether the project was a good fit for the company, said Jordan Rohan, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets in New York. Mountain View, California-based Google makes 99 percent of its revenue selling advertising.

``What the heck are they doing? It boggles the mind,'' said Rohan, who advises buying Google shares. ``The company is blessed with the best business model on the Internet. This makes me worry about Google's priorities.''

This shows how smart Google is and how dumb the "investment community" is. Google knows darn well that their entire business is based on the use of electricity, which can only decrease as finite energy resources become scarcer and more expensive. It's in their best interest to have long term sources of relatively cheap electric power so people can maximize their log-on time. Google can afford to hire the best damn engineers on the planet to work on this, so I suspect it can succeed.

The financial community, which only looks as far as next quarter's earnings, just doesn't get this.

I think it's time to finally buy those Google shares. . . .

Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,984,877 times
Sell your shares NOW!!! This will tank this company if they do anything more than a concept study.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM

32,260 posts, read 54,969,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Sell your shares NOW!!! This will tank this company if they do anything more than a concept study.
LOL..thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living