U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I graduated high school in the 80s. My elementary school teachers were hippy environmentalist wannabes. When they were teaching us, they were pushing us to save the trees and stop using paper bags and paper cups. They were celebrating the switch to plastic and styrofoam to save the trees. Saving the trees was the big thing back then. Most areas of the country didn't have paper recycling in those days. Some areas of the country still burned their garbage in a barrel because of a lack of trash pickup (I had to do this as a kid until we moved).
You and I are about age. I vividly remember the huge annual neighborhood paper recycling dives of my youth. Our Cub Scout troop in cooperation with the HOA would rent a couple of full-size trailers from a local trucking company. People would save their newspapers all year in anticipation of the event, and both trailers would be packed to the roof by the end of the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 PM

5,044 posts, read 5,040,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You and I are about age. I vividly remember the huge annual neighborhood paper recycling dives of my youth. Our Cub Scout troop in cooperation with the HOA would rent a couple of full-size trailers from a local trucking company. People would save their newspapers all year in anticipation of the event, and both trailers would be packed to the roof by the end of the weekend.
We're all about the same age... except I grew up in Texas where we welcomed any opportunity to burn trash and pour oil over the landscape as if it were.... liquid black gold...

Old 02-06-2014, 05:29 PM

My goodness I'm embarrassed by the typos in that last post, but I'm glad you understood the gist of my post in spite of them.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,097,348 times
Hopefully not. I like cheap products.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 PM

5,044 posts, read 5,040,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Hopefully not. I like cheap products.
Ah, you're from Texas... you just demonstrated my last point

Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM

9,760 posts, read 8,093,553 times
Quote:
And where was this? I was in the Cub Scouts and we never did any of that. We were camping and learning things in the woods. Locally, we didn't have curb side trash pickup until almost the 1980s. Many rural parts of the nation didn't have curb side trash pickup during those days. Only the city and suburban communities had curb side trash pickup back then. The only recycling in our areas was glass bottles and cans. Paper recycling came later for us and even then, it mainly picked up cardboard boxes from businesses. People back then recycled newspapers by using them to start fires in their fireplace, line bird cages, paper sculptures, or paper on floor for dogs.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 AM

In the large scheme of things, it's amazing to think about how quickly the disposable mentality has taken over the world. Recently there was a post in the economics forum in which complaints were made about the cost of paper towels. I suggested that the poster purchase a set of cotton diapers for about the same cost as a large bag of paper towels and launder them between uses. If I hadn't thought it would put him over the edge, I'd have mentioned that old clothing can also be cut up for rags. That's what I use rather than paper towels for cleaning up the rare mess that can't be washed out.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-07-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And where was this? I was in the Cub Scouts and we never did any of that. We were camping and learning things in the woods. Locally, we didn't have curb side trash pickup until almost the 1980s. Many rural parts of the nation didn't have curb side trash pickup during those days. Only the city and suburban communities had curb side trash pickup back then. The only recycling in our areas was glass bottles and cans. Paper recycling came later for us and even then, it mainly picked up cardboard boxes from businesses. People back then recycled newspapers by using them to start fires in their fireplace, line bird cages, paper sculptures, or paper on floor for dogs.
Southwestern Ohio in the late '70s, and, yes, we had curb-side trash service. The boys also spent plenty of time in the outdoors, but service has always been a part of the Scouting movement, and this was one of the ways our neighborhood scouts gave back to the community. I remember it being a big deal and lots of fun. Dozens of scouting families volunteered their time and vehicles to transport the bundled newspapers neighbors set out on the curb for collection. The newspaper drive must have happened during the summer, because I remember it being blazing hot in the back of the trailer.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-07-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,536,189 times
Quote:
If I hadn't thought it would put him over the edge, I'd have mentioned that old clothing can also be cut up for rags. That's what I use rather than paper towels for cleaning up the rare mess that can't be washed out.
Yup. I know a guy who has made a very nice business for himself for many years by bulk buying donated worn and torn clothing that can't be sold normally, from various charities, washing it and trimming it to useful sizes, then selling them to car mechanics and others who need wipedown rags.

Reuse sometimes means creating a new use for something old that would otherwise just be discarded.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:54 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,941,768 times
I do things like that too. I mainly need rags for taking the wax off the car. Just gotta be careful I don't have a rough piece of clothing so it doesn't scratch the paint.

Repurposing items is great, rather than tossing them out.

I also donate all my "good" clothes to charity. I give to local charities that I know put them to good use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living