U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 23,639,239 times
Reputation: 10580

Advertisements

Beijing isn't the only big city with an air pollution problem. It's also not the only one temporarily banning cars in order to deal with the issue. Will Los Angeles be next?

Just one more reason for people to consider EVs.

I thought this was particularly interesting...

Quote:
As pollution levels climb above 80 micrograms of particulates per cubic meter, Parisian pollution problems are being blamed on the high number of diesel vehicles on French roads.

In the 1960s, the French government and industry made the decision to move to diesel, which was deemed less polluting than gasoline at the time.

As a result, the country taxed it less heavily than gasoline, and the major French automakers turned their attention to producing diesel engines.

Unfortunately, this has since proven an unwise move. Until the latest generation of diesels, equipped as they are with particulate filters, urea injection and other emissions-scrubbing systems, diesel emissions have been much more harmful than their gasoline counterparts.

Half Of All Cars Banned From Paris Roads Over Smog; Electric Cars Exempt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM
 
7,281 posts, read 8,884,402 times
Reputation: 11420
No, Los Angeles will not be next.

There are far more reasons to use bicycles than electric cars. They are far more efficient, have much less impact on the environment and offer exponentially more health benefits. With public transportation systems, bicycles have a better place than EVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM
 
2,349 posts, read 3,926,983 times
Reputation: 2202
No surprise, yet another environmental agenda in which the poorer people become a victim of. And environmentalist wonder why there is such opposition to even basic things; because every "solution" always harms people with lesser financial means, while those with financial means get to continue life as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 23,639,239 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No surprise, yet another environmental agenda in which the poorer people become a victim of. And environmentalist wonder why there is such opposition to even basic things; because every "solution" always harms people with lesser financial means, while those with financial means get to continue life as usual.
I think this is is an illogical response. They should ignore the air pollution problem because some people are poor? Makes no sense.

And did you miss the part about the free buses and subways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 PM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,969,444 times
Reputation: 2153
I don't think LA will be next, but you never know. If pollution/smog got bad enough something will have to happen.

At least the article mentioned that the latest round of diesels are cleaner...

Walking and biking can't be the only answer. Some of us can't do either anymore - and definitely not in bad weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 PM
 
2,349 posts, read 3,926,983 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think this is is an illogical response. They should ignore the air pollution problem because some people are poor? Makes no sense.

And did you miss the part about the free buses and subways?
It is not illogical at all. The more well off people will have two cars, or means to rent a car, while the less well off are stuck with what they have. The wealthier are not inconvenienced by such things which again, places more burden on the poor.

This goes for taxes and every other ill conceived environmental idea.

And as I stated, environmentalists wonder why there is always opposition to the most trivial things when it comes to the environment; because every idea imposes a burden on the poor while it does not impact the wealthy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 8,884,402 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is not illogical at all. The more well off people will have two cars, or means to rent a car, while the less well off are stuck with what they have. The wealthier are not inconvenienced by such things which again, places more burden on the poor.

This goes for taxes and every other ill conceived environmental idea.

And as I stated, environmentalists wonder why there is always opposition to the most trivial things when it comes to the environment; because every idea imposes a burden on the poor while it does not impact the wealthy at all.
Quite true because average income earners aren't the ones buying electric cars mostly. Ask anyone who owns a Tesla what their other car is and I'm betting it isn't an economy car with a high MPG rating.

Could EV cars be mass produced on the scale of Civics or something like that? Sure but there wouldn't be as much profit in it. Follow the money.

From Al Gore to almost any other prominent environmentalist, notice where their revenue streams comes from? Not producing much but from telling everyone else what they should be doing, all the while they tweet from 50,000 feet aboard ozone damaging private jets. Then they trade or buy carbon credits, one of the biggest shams ever perpetrated on societies. Carbon credits, the Bitcoin for environmentalists that allows them to live unrestrained by the very impositions they want others to suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 23,639,239 times
Reputation: 10580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
From Al Gore to almost any other prominent environmentalist, notice where their revenue streams comes from? Not producing much but from telling everyone else what they should be doing, all the while they tweet from 50,000 feet aboard ozone damaging private jets. Then they trade or buy carbon credits, one of the biggest shams ever perpetrated on societies. Carbon credits, the Bitcoin for environmentalists that allows them to live unrestrained by the very impositions they want others to suffer.
Iccckkk. Another ideogical rant without any connection to reality, dragging in the usual off-topic references! Take it to the Politics & Other Controversies forum, please!

If you examine the actual issue at hand in this thread... an air pollution crisis in Paris due to vehicle traffic... then the obvious temporary solution is to get vehicles off the road, which this mandate does.

The exceptions for EVs and hybrids is obviously to promote the use of those far less polluting technologies. What a powerful PR message that presents! And public transportation gets a big boost too, reminding everyone that they do not need to drive alone in a private automobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
 
7,281 posts, read 8,884,402 times
Reputation: 11420
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Iccckkk. Another ideogical rant without any connection to reality, dragging in the usual off-topic references! Take it to the Politics & Other Controversies forum, please!

If you examine the actual issue at hand in this thread... an air pollution crisis in Paris due to vehicle traffic... then the obvious temporary solution is to get vehicles off the road, which this mandate does.

The exceptions for EVs and hybrids is obviously to promote the use of those far less polluting technologies. What a powerful PR message that presents! And public transportation gets a big boost too, reminding everyone that they do not need to drive alone in a private automobile.
Like what you say isn't filled to the gills with ideology? Lack of planning isn't a crisis. That is what environmentalists prey upon though, sensationalism, another crisis and agenda driven ideologies.

Talk about out of touch with reality. More of the same swallow camels and choke on mice.

The "...everyone that they do not need to drive alone" comes straight out of guess what? An ideology. Can you figure out which one? Hint, needs testing.

Just who gets to choose which of the everyone gets to drive alone and which do not? Ideology indeed. Sooner or later, this was going to come out, finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 04:32 PM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,969,444 times
Reputation: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is not illogical at all. The more well off people will have two cars, or means to rent a car, while the less well off are stuck with what they have. The wealthier are not inconvenienced by such things which again, places more burden on the poor.

This goes for taxes and every other ill conceived environmental idea.

And as I stated, environmentalists wonder why there is always opposition to the most trivial things when it comes to the environment; because every idea imposes a burden on the poor while it does not impact the wealthy at all.
Just so I understand this, you would rather there NOT be any environmentally friendly vehicles out there, because right now the poor can't afford them?

This is true about all aspects of life, not just environmental ones. The poor always have it worse off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top