Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Illuminating cities with sustainable smart lighting systems | Guardian Sustainable Business | Guardian Professional

I'm starting to see a handful of stories. With municipal budgets everywhere seeing constraints, you would think this would be a great short term expense to reduce annual expenses to take on. My town of 46,000 people spends about $600,000/yr on electric for street lights (according to my mayor - i didn't verify myself). If dimmable lights can save 50%-75% of that, that's a huge amount of money for a modestly sized town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
LED are a better investment

Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LED are a better investment
If you read the article, it's about computer controlled LED street lighting.

Since LED "replacement bulbs" have become available that do not require special fixtures, many cities have been replacing conventional bulbs with them as the old conventional ones burn out, spreading the higher initial cost over several years time, and reaping the cost benefits of longer life and lower energy costs. "Dawn to dusk" sensors have been around for a long time. The next step... the kind of individual light control being used in Eindoven... seems unlikely to be adopted quickly in the US due to the budget restraints so many cities and states are facing today.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
I'm not sure what the difference is, but this is an article i read a few months ago: Clever? Smart Street Lamps Light Up Only When Needed | Innovation | Smithsonian

One problem i know my dad's company (PPL) noted with LED lights is that the heat from a normal street light helps melt the ice on it, and with an LED, the ice may build up in areas like PA or other cold areas in winter time. Might create some added maintenance that didn't previously exist. Just a thought.

I'd love to see towns at least switch to LEDs, but if it makes sense, i'd hope they jump straight to these higher tech types to save even more electricity.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:56 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Interesting that the waste heat of a incandescent/halogen/sodium vapor bulb, isn't necessarily waste heat during the winter up north.

I find that the ROI for me to personally put in timers or dusk to dawn switches barely works out. I do it and have done it, just don't think I ever see that money back. Mainly because the Dusk to Dawn or timers don't last long enough. What does end up working out is replacing incandescent with CFL or LED. Now I only have one place where CFL/LED do not work and it is my only incandescent bulb left. I even have to use a rough service bulb for it to last....

I will love the day LED bulbs compare costwise to CFLs. THat is my next project, slowly replacing all CFLs with LEDs so I don't have to throw out mercury.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:12 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Not if you want your city to assume liability for accidents, crime etc....We'be already had this excersize. The insurance company said no....

Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I'd love to see towns at least switch to LEDs, but if it makes sense, i'd hope they jump straight to these higher tech types to save even more electricity.
Another big area of savings is in reduced labor costs to replace burned out lamps due to LED's much longer life. The switchover to LEDs started first with traffic control signals, for this very reason, plus the built in "fail safe" feature that in a cluster of LEDs, several individual diodes could die of old age without losing the entire signal, and thereby signal the need for replacement in a safe way.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-13-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Another big area of savings is in reduced labor costs to replace burned out lamps due to LEDs much longer life. The switchover to LEDs started first with traffic control signals, for this very reason, plus the built in "fail safe" feature that in a cluster of LEDs, several individual diodes could die of old age without losing the entire signal, and thereby signal the need for replacement in a safe way.
You want to take on the IBEW You'll never reduce the labor cost for Utility Linemen who are responsible for maintaining street lights.....If the city does not have it's own Utility and Linemen then they are contracting outside line services typically from IBEW pole rats.....

Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
My54Ford - It will be a phase out. It should take a long time in any major area to get the benefit of reduced need for labor to change light poles. I don't think it will be like electric meter readers. Those folks lost their job within a couple of years once the new self reporting meters started being installed.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
My54Ford - It will be a phase out. It should take a long time in any major area to get the benefit of reduced need for labor to change light poles. I don't think it will be like electric meter readers. Those folks lost their job within a couple of years once the new self reporting meters started being installed.
My point is that the IBEW won't let a utility reduce the number of linemen they have regardless of the number of light bulbs on the system. As for the meter comment..We have selfreaders and we still have the same amount of people on staff as we had when we walked the line....In fact I can't think of a utility I deal with that reduced field staff in the last 10years Now many of the City staffs have been reduced but not the Utility guys.....Like me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living