Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 02:17 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new car and because I have chemical allergies or sensitivities Ive been ill in the car even on short trips.. Ive now invested in an air ioniser to wear in the car, but has anyone tips for getting the chemicals out the car fast..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 03:56 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Leave windows open to air out the car, obviously. Don't know it helps or not, but you can try sprinkling baking soda all over the cloth seats and carpets then vacuum it up in a few days. Baking soda helps absorb the odors (chemicals). Same with activated charcoal but baking soda is pretty inexpensive.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I hate to say it, but I doubt that an ionizer will do much about the outgassing that new synthetic materials do. They are most effective against smoke particles.

Some car detailing places have an ozone deodorizing service which MIGHT help. I'd talk to them, see what they have to say...

Old 03-23-2014, 06:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I don't know if ionizers work too well. I used to have a plug in car charcoal filter machine which did help but the new filters were really expensive. You know what works best? If I have to drive in a place that has air pollution I wear a simple charcoal filter mask. I feel silly wearing it and I do pull it off if the traffic stops so no one will see me but it does beat getting a killer headache from bus exhaust! The best solution was to live right next to the ocean.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Air it out as much as possible - Open windows, limit driving with the air on recirculate. Does your car have a cabin filter?

Changing it out for a custom cut charcoal filter might help too. It's tough to say whether you can do it or not until you try it.

The glues and plastics will outgas for awhile so even spraying "febreeze" will only partially help, along with the baking soda trick. And then steam cleaning the car a few times should also help.

At least if you can air it out as soon as you get in it and then put the A/C on Fresh Air in, it will be better.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 AM

Cant use Febreze either, it affects me badly but Ill take onboard all your tips... I dont think the UK cater much for this problem so cant see anyone being able to do the job of cleaning out the smells of the new car..I was also reading about carbon sheets, would they also help as well as airing the car well... its not just the upholstery its the roof inside the car and all the synthetics, its driving me crazy and I keep putting off even short journeys... an older car was an alternative but then the owners might have smoked or wore perfumes and that would defeat the purpose for me anyway...... a house by the sea wow how Id love that...

Old 03-24-2014, 07:02 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Cant use Febreze either, it affects me badly but Ill take onboard all your tips... I dont think the UK cater much for this problem so cant see anyone being able to do the job of cleaning out the smells of the new car..I was also reading about carbon sheets, would they also help as well as airing the car well... its not just the upholstery its the roof inside the car and all the synthetics, its driving me crazy and I keep putting off even short journeys... an older car was an alternative but then the owners might have smoked or wore perfumes and that would defeat the purpose for me anyway...... a house by the sea wow how Id love that...
If you lived over here, you'd just park that car out in the summer heat for a while and it would bake the chemicals out! They actually spray stuff in cars to give it the (yuck) "new car" smell. I used to drive to the sea to be able to breathe for one day out of the year but finally I got the chance to live here--and I really do appreciate the clear air. When I go inland I practically choke on the air.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Outgassing can continue for years. I agree that (1.) You would have been better off with a used car - you can tell if it has been smoked in pretty easily), and (2.) that for now your only real solution is a face mask. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you were pulled over for wearing a mask. Cops get bored and nutso from time to time.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Outgassing can continue for years. I agree that (1.) You would have been better off with a used car - you can tell if it has been smoked in pretty easily), and (2.) that for now your only real solution is a face mask. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you were pulled over for wearing a mask. Cops get bored and nutso from time to time.
know what you mean..... I aired the car most of the day today and wiped down the inside to try and take some of it away... I tried to get a Phillips purifier but they dont seem to be stocked here in many places ..if any.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
A couple other quick thoughts. Car windows used to have "wings" that directed outside air on the driver's face on hot days. For slow speed local trips, you might be able to figure out how to cut an insert (perhaps from foam core board?) that would slip in the window track and have an angled section to do the same thing.

Ozone can ruin plastics quickly.
The other odor absorbers are;
charcoal - if you can't find any, most home water filters have granulated charcoal in them. Just take one apart.
baking soda - will take some odors, especially acid ones.
vinegar - works the opposite of baking soda and can be pungent and encourage rust and corrosion.
chlorophyll - often has other odors connected with it though.
water - a wet filter or a mist can grab a lot of odors. Not sure if you want a garden fountain in your new car?

Some vehicles come with cabin air filters. It may be possible to upgrade those. Check with the dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living