Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:57 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, most. Not all. The National Electrical Code is "suggested law" and while widely adopted, is not part of the local standard everywhere.

For those who haven't followed the details...
I think it would be fair to say all grid connected houses come with 240/208 standard. I don't know of any other utility supply voltage. Note that 120 is a derived voltage from that phase voltage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I would never pay to dry my clothes when the air does it for free. There is never any item of clothing that I absolutely must need in an hour, so clothesline in the nice weather outside and a drying rack for the winter inside.

So the clothes dry over night, big deal.....

I could care less what inventions they dream up to dry clothes.
I will still dry them on a line forever.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I would never pay to dry my clothes when the air does it for free. There is never any item of clothing that I absolutely must need in an hour, so clothesline in the nice weather outside and a drying rack for the winter inside.

My girlfriend and I do the same. However, it is easy for us because we have lots of space in the basement and we don't go through a lot of clothes. If we had five kids and lived in an apartment, our approach might no longer be viable.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Using a spin dryer and clothes line works super fast. Spin dryer probably isn't the right term, probably just marketing. Water extractor seems to describe how they work much better. They spin the clothes much faster than the spin cycle in a washing machine, they come out nearly dry. In about 20 minutes outside, most everything is completely dry. Jeans take perhaps an hour or so.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:49 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Using a spin dryer and clothes line works super fast. Spin dryer probably isn't the right term, probably just marketing. Water extractor seems to describe how they work much better. They spin the clothes much faster than the spin cycle in a washing machine, they come out nearly dry. In about 20 minutes outside, most everything is completely dry. Jeans take perhaps an hour or so.
I was looking into one of these, they are a washer/dryer in one, but they also state they will not dry your clothes 100%, I would guess maybe 70-80%. All in one easy compact unit. Then you would just take them out and let them dry on their own and that's it. However, energy savings would probably be pretty small.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Then you would just take them out and let them dry on their own and that's it.
If I have to hang clothes I'm going to hang them right out of the washer. What's the point of putting them in the dryer if you are have to hang them anyway. How is that supposed to work with clothes like socks?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I've hung stuff up and find that I have to use fabric softener and I don[t have to use it in the dryer. Any tricks?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:27 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I've hung stuff up and find that I have to use fabric softener and I don[t have to use it in the dryer. Any tricks?

I found with towels, if you buy better towels and not cheap one, they will be soft right off the line, as opposed to cheap towels that will feel like sand paper.

I clothesline towels in the summer outside and rack them in the winter inside. I do not use fabric softner on towels, as they coat the fibers and believe it or not, take away from the absorbtion when you get out of the shower / bath.

I have 16 bath towels from bed bath & beyond and they are great, they feel soft and smell nice when they come off the line.

fabric softner is one of the most toxic chemicals out there, I do not ever use it anymore.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I have to hang clothes I'm going to hang them right out of the washer. What's the point of putting them in the dryer if you are have to hang them anyway. How is that supposed to work with clothes like socks?
The spin dryer is named poorly. It is just an extractor like those used in large scale commercial laundries just scaled down. If you wear those travel type shirts like ex-officio, hang them out and on a warm day, dry in about 15 minutes tops, ready to wear.

As for socks, it works very well. They go in just like any other clothing. They come out nearly dry. Hang them on the line, short time later, dry. Not damp...dry.

Because it removes nearly all the water from the clothes, they dry very fast compared to just hanging them out to dry directly from the washing machine. They go into the spinner only for 15-30 seconds, the amount of water extracted is pretty amazing. That extracted water can then be used in landscape/garden irrigation. The added benefit is that some clothes will then dry softer as opposed to becoming board hard. Also, because the water is extracted, no matter how good the rinse cycle is in the washing machine, nearly all detergent residue is also extracted along with water. I was very skeptical at first until I saw it first hand.

You read the marketing of this kind of thing and think it is all mumbo jumbo, then find it really does work and work very well.

The electric motor tops out at about 750 watts, runs for 15-30 seconds per load and its done.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
As for socks, it works very well. They go in just like any other clothing. They come out nearly dry. Hang them on the line, short time later, dry. Not damp...dry.
Mack I'm not concerned about the time it takes clothes to dry, if I have to go through the effort of hanging a sock on the clothesline I don't see the point of putting it in the dryer first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living