U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM
 
4,367 posts, read 3,559,442 times
Reputation: 2926

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
You would be wrong.

This is not a kit, nor a one-off prototype. Neither of those vehicles have all the advantages of an Elio, and have a couple that the Elio does not have.

Just because something is similar, does not mean it has been done before. That is what innovation is. Are either of those things planned for mass production with a sticker price under 7k?

Should we ignore this because the Peel P50 and the Peel Trident existed? They are both 3 wheel production cars, FAR closer to the Elio than what you posted.
I meant that the three-wheeled "car" concept is not new. You did mention earlier, though, that the Elio has a safety rating measured by car standards. I would think that would decide whether or not it is embraced by the mass market. If not, it may just be another failed prototype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,946,011 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I meant that the three-wheeled "car" concept is not new. You did mention earlier, though, that the Elio has a safety rating measured by car standards. I would think that would decide whether or not it is embraced by the mass market. If not, it may just be another failed prototype.
Okay, we are on the same page. The three-wheeled car is not new, but this iteration with these features is something unprecedented. (At least for mass production.)

I bet the market embraces it, gas prices keep going up. They might not, but if the pre-order buzz is any indication, this company will get huge overnight when they finally start rolling cars out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
27,651 posts, read 17,695,676 times
Reputation: 15714
Given the money coming it...I have to wonder how long it will be before the owners of Elio skip town for a nice island with no extradition treaty to the US...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 09:00 AM
 
10,573 posts, read 15,659,488 times
Reputation: 11926
RESERVATION AGREEMENT

This Reservation Agreement between the person or entity identified below as you and Elio Motors, Inc., located at 2942 North 24th Street - Suite 114-700, Phoenix, AZ 85016, U.S.A., or its affiliate identified below as Elio Motors, Inc., is for your reservation of a Elio vehicle with us.

1. Reservation
By entering into this Reservation Agreement you hereby confirm that you wish to reserve a Elio vehicle (prototype can be viewed on our website).

2. Nature of Agreement; Non-Binding Reservation Payment
The Reservation Payment is NON-REFUNDABLE and provides you with the benefits in Section 4 below depending on the level of your payment. This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment plus a bonus equal to 50% of the payment will be credited against the purchase price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 AM
 
10,573 posts, read 15,659,488 times
Reputation: 11926
^^^^^^ Speaks for itself, aye, mates? 1. It IS non refundable. 2. What will happen, it'll be sold via dealers. Dealers will jag the price sky high to make THEIR profit.
Like wise man said - IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. Forget all this. At least, have my Elio shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,946,011 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
^^^^^^ Speaks for itself, aye, mates? 1. It IS non refundable. 2. What will happen, it'll be sold via dealers. Dealers will jag the price sky high to make THEIR profit.
Like wise man said - IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. Forget all this. At least, have my Elio shirt.
If they do that, they crash their business. There is almost NO market for these things if they cost more than 10 grand.

The only way that they could be attempting this is if they were attempting to get rich off of reservation money.... which adds up to less than they have invested.

I suppose that what your saying could happen, but it would be the most literal business suicide I have ever heard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,972,695 times
Reputation: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
RESERVATION AGREEMENT

This Reservation Agreement between the person or entity identified below as you and Elio Motors, Inc., located at 2942 North 24th Street - Suite 114-700, Phoenix, AZ 85016, U.S.A., or its affiliate identified below as Elio Motors, Inc., is for your reservation of a Elio vehicle with us.

1. Reservation
By entering into this Reservation Agreement you hereby confirm that you wish to reserve a Elio vehicle (prototype can be viewed on our website).

2. Nature of Agreement; Non-Binding Reservation Payment
The Reservation Payment is NON-REFUNDABLE and provides you with the benefits in Section 4 below depending on the level of your payment. This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a vehicle and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a vehicle. If and when we notify you of the availability of the vehicle and you wish to proceed with the purchase, such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio). In the event a purchase is made, your Reservation Payment plus a bonus equal to 50% of the payment will be credited against the purchase price
Sounds like you can make a $100 donation to cause and in return they notify you first when they are ready to be sold.

Not saying it is bad - just saying whatever money you gave them should be looked at as a donation to the cause until proven otherwise. (sorta like crowd funding)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM
 
10,573 posts, read 15,659,488 times
Reputation: 11926
Yeah... ^^^^^ I'll keep that shirt untouched. If all this flops, it'll become a collector item.
I don't think they will grab "donations" and run away. Even at $1000 ones, there is less than 20 000 folks that signed up, it's not much to grab and run.
It is typical capitalist lawyers bs. Send us money we promise you NOTHING. And you sign for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,972,695 times
Reputation: 2153
Just to be clear, I hope that it does not flop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 23,652,636 times
Reputation: 10581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
^^^^^^ Speaks for itself, aye, mates? 1. It IS non refundable.
Seems to me they've got a legal issue on their hands already, because as of today, July 4, 2014, their "I Want In" reservations web page says that the reservations deposits, even at the $100 level, are refundable. The FTC has a big problem with slippy slidey things like this.

https://reservations.eliomotors.com/...eV0JsacJHw_wcB

Quote:
2. What will happen, it'll be sold via dealers. Dealers will jag the price sky high to make THEIR profit.
That isn't what it says. Notice the word "or" in that sentence...
"such sale and purchase will be governed by a separate and legally binding Purchase Agreement between you and us or between you and another authorized dealer (Elio)."
All that says to me is that they've confronted the reality that a number of states prohibit motor vehicle manufacturers from selling directly to consumers. They have to use local dealers, supposedly to insure that customers have a local company to go back to for warranty issues.

Quote:
Like wise man said - IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. Forget all this. At least, have my Elio shirt.
It may or may not be. It remains to be seen how this will unfold. Personally I would not "invest" in this kind of deal, but now that you have, you might as well just relax and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top