U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,970,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This car reminds me of a German economy car from the post WWII era called the Messerschmitt KR200 or the Kabinenroller (Cabin Scooter) that preceded the VW to the American market. It had three wheels - two in front - tandem seating for two, a 250 cc engine, and a bubble canopy like you might have seen on a Messerschmitt fighter plane. I used to see one in my midwest hometown when I was a kid.

I think Jay Leno has one, and I've seen one not too long ago parked in front of a business as a kind of static display ad, but i don't know if its working or not.

Messerschmitt KR200 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That car was actually more dangerous than the BMW Isetta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 AM

10,554 posts, read 15,639,330 times
Curious...
Why does it smell of scam? As I could not find any solid point of connection with what they offer. It's all "may be, potentially, eventually" and so on. Of course, those who live next to ex - Hummer factory may go and check on it, but it may be just a shield on the wall and guard that won't let you in.
Too good to be true...

Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Elio Motors – It Just Might Be For Real, So to Check it Out, TTAC Rolls Consumer Reports Style and Puts Skin in the Game | The Truth About Cars

Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 AM

27,610 posts, read 17,675,866 times
Gas 2 | Bridging the gap between green heads and gear heads.

Fact or Fiction? 3-wheel, $6,800 Elio praised, panned | The Weekly Driver

Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM

3,147 posts, read 2,944,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Curious...
Why does it smell of scam? As I could not find any solid point of connection with what they offer. It's all "may be, potentially, eventually" and so on. Of course, those who live next to ex - Hummer factory may go and check on it, but it may be just a shield on the wall and guard that won't let you in.
Too good to be true...
So what you are saying is, if it is not a scam, you are interested? Ha ha. Honestly, to me, it looks 100% real. I don't think Pepboys would ruin a profitable national chain to participate in a scam. Of course, it could be argued that they have been scammed too, but I would like to think that they would do some verifying before signing on for such a large partnership.

Also, the articles posted above seem to indicate that this may actually launch as planned.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM

I am saying, it's more than half price of CanAm trike for much more of a vehicle. Of course I am interested.
It simply has all red flags of scam. Non refundable deposits, no production yet, not physical sales location, not even good vehicle description and specs. I found it's gas, direct injected, 8 gallon tank, seats 2, 5'6'' fatso can get into the rear seat, has miniscule cargo space that can be enlarged by tossing the rear seat out, safety cage design, 60+Hp motor 3 cyl, 0-60 less than 10 seconds. Not even sure if it's manual trannie.
So I just signed up for one. Reason being, 100 bucks it's not that much money to lose. But, in case they do start selling them to those in line, on 20 2015, those cars will be instant collector thing. Before company flops.
Btw, they have 4 tiers of deposits, going all the way up to 1000. Out of $100, 50 bucks goes towards the vehicle purchase. A T-shirt, of course.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:52 PM

OK< update on this.
$100 worth T-shirt is on its way to my residence.
That's the only thing I am getting so far.
I could not even find any mentioning that Elio will be secured for me, or "line" number ticket, or anything else relevant to the car itself in my account with them.
Also, I could not find any price guarantees for Evio too.
Just letting you know, folks.
Gamble is on.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:49 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,642,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It simply has all red flags of scam. Non refundable deposits, no production yet, not physical sales location, not even good vehicle description and specs...

...So I just signed up for one. Reason being, 100 bucks it's not that much money to lose.
Curious about this... at the top of the "I WANT IN" page, where you place your deposit, it clearly states:

Quote:
Confirmed Spot Ahead of the Public - Refundable

Welcome to "I Want In". From here, the sooner you sign up for your refundable reservation from the following levels, the sooner you’re on the reservation list, and that much closer to driving your Elio.

Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle
So why do you think the deposit is non-refundable when the website says it is?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Because I could swear, I read "non refundable" on their site. And I just re-read it again and everywhere, and it says "refundable".
So I'll take that back, and express my apologies. Fair enough?
Also, there's this:
Elio Motors is one of those automotive startups that raises all sorts of flags that makes some people think that it’s a scam, or at least on shaky financial ground. Almost every bit of news from Elio has been greeted with some skepticism, understandably (here, here, and here). They’re planning on selling a three wheel vehicle with a composite body that gets amazing gas mileage. Those facts alone remind people of the Dale scam, and the failed Aptera venture. Also, they’re taking deposits on a vehicle whose design has not been finalized, a year away from production, and that evokes memories of Preston Tucker, who had his own problems. Then there’s the financing plan that Elio says will allow people currently driving beaters, the working poor if you will, to get a new car with a warranty just for what they’re currently paying for gasoline. When you buy the $6,800 tandem two seater reverse trike, whatever balance there is after your trade-in and/or deposit is applied will go on a credit card. Monthly payments will be required to pay down the balance but the way Elio is pitching it, when you use that credit card to buy gasoline (and some other purchases) instead of being billed for the actual cost of the gas, you’ll be billed 3 times that amount and the difference between the actual price and the billed price will be used to pay off the car.
Why 3X the price of gas?

And so far, I have seen NOTHING from them saying I actually placed deposit for the car. Or price it will be sold to me. Or my "line" number. Or anything even remotely mentioning any payment plans etc, above mentioned. The only thing it shows in my account with Elio is T-shirt bought.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 PM

Also, to correct myself, I did find specs pages. All 3 of them. 55 Hp. 0-60 9.6 sec. They claim to have seated 6'6'' basketball player and 5'6'' 365 female inside. Comfortably. I found all interior specs. Vehicles will have power windows, power door, AM/FM stereo, a/c, heater, and 2 choices of transmission, manual or automatic. 84 mpg is "to be achieved". And so on.
JUst to counter my own remark that I could not find specs. I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or