Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,482,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We really like our Prius. It comfortably carries five adults. I routinely load it up with livestock feed, and it has done very well driving on ice and snow.

I do like motorcycles, but obviously they do not work as well for hauling others or stuff.
We like our Volt too. Can't seat 5, but there are only 4 of us. And I don't have livestock, unless you count the kids. I do get their food from the grocery store in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:04 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,866,456 times
It's pretty ugly. If, or should I say when gas prices jump to $15/gallon I'd rather have a Civic Hybrid or a Prius.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Of course when gas goes to $15 a gal. The Civic Hybrid or Prius will be $60k cars.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,328,648 times
It's not for me, but it seems to be what some people are looking for. Though the Elio is still a year or more away from having a vehicle to deliver, their website currently reports that 15, 840 people have put down cash deposits against future order positions and a certain amount of discount on the final purchase price.

It's not an unprecedented marketing proposition... a friend of mine bought a Smart Car that way in California years ago, and he was quite happy with how it all worked out. And Tesla has done well with a similar approach. But the road back to the future is littered with automotive flameouts, so I personally wouldn't be in a hurry to put money down on a vehicle that isn't even in production yet.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Ohh even if I wanted it, no way I am putting down money right now....

Not on a startup company.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,489,342 times
I would so totally do something *like* this.

I have been designing my own version of this, based off of the T-Rex Aero 3s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJC_AnsfWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavkGcEZD-8

(First clip is pictures, second clip is driving.)

I also like the V13R:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJPV83SQJiM

The problem with both of them is that I want a fully enclosed cab, radio, etc... creature comforts. I also want to be able to drive it in the rain/cold. This Elio car is similar to what I am designing, but mine is a little more fun/performance orientated. The one I want to build would not have the same gas mileage but would probably be able to do 50+ MPG.

These cars, a long with 4 wheeled city cars, are the future. I see people driving around GIANT SUV's just to commute, alone. As the economy worsens, more people will realize that it is ridiculous and expensive to have that kind of person and cargo capacity just to carry one person from location to location. Sure, have your SUV or large sedan, but save it for the long trips/shopping/etc... but people really should use the appropriate style of vehicle when commuting alone or with one other person.

That said, I would not buy the Elio. I would suggest other people do, but I have the skills to build something similar, and I am too picky to buy a production one. Overall, yes on the concept though!

(People who are afraid of cars like this need to ride a motorcycle or small roadster and realize it is NOT that scary... these things are engineered to withstand crashes, but crashes aren't necessarily going to be more likely. If somebody doesn't look and hits you merging, they would have hit you had you been driving a MAC truck.)

Old 05-01-2014, 09:49 AM

37,300 posts, read 61,096,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
... The problem with both of them is that I want a fully enclosed cab, radio, etc... creature comforts. I also want to be able to drive it in the rain/cold. This Elio car is similar to what I am designing, but mine is a little more fun/performance orientated. The one I want to build would not have the same gas mileage but would probably be able to do 50+ MPG.
Already have all-weather vehicles that get 50+ mpg.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Already have all-weather vehicles that get 50+ mpg.
Cool story bro. Can they do 0-60 in under 4 seconds? Do they look like supercars? Can they be built for under 10k in cost?

Do they drive like this?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 AM

37,300 posts, read 61,096,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Cool story bro. Can they do 0-60 in under 4 seconds? Do they look like supercars? Can they be built for under 10k in cost?
Mine does 0-60 in 10 seconds, cost $24k.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Mine does 0-60 in 10 seconds, cost $24k.
See, apparently you missed the part of my post that you quoted where I said I want to build a more performance/fun orientated vehicle. Your car cost over twice as much as what I would build, and is 3 times slower...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living