Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

I think I would buy one just to try it out.

It gets 84 miles to the gallon on the highway. That means you can go from Detroit to New York City on a tank of gas – or drive from Shreveport LA to Dallas and back – then back to Dallas again – and still have about 110 miles left before a refill. How is that possible?

Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 01:21 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I think I would buy one just to try it out.

It gets 84 miles to the gallon on the highway. That means you can go from Detroit to New York City on a tank of gas – or drive from Shreveport LA to Dallas and back – then back to Dallas again – and still have about 110 miles left before a refill. How is that possible?

Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle
Put a cowling on this: Can-Am Spyder: 3-Wheel Motorcycles for Touring, Sport-Touring, & Sport | Can-Am Spyder US

Watch their perpetual motion vehicle comparison. They are appealing to the clueless.

They don't mention if the vehicle will be classified as a car or scooter or anything else so I'm wondering about things like airbags and such.

After that trip you mentioned, you'd probably end up looking like a pretzel.

I wonder how many people will actually get one for the price they are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy a vehicle like this one? Elio-renault.jpg  

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Elio is classified as a motorcycle, but it does have 3 airbags and seat belts. Until it is independently tested - who knows how "safe" it is.

You are probably safer in this, than on a motorcycle or a can-am. All of the Can-am's I have seen are permanent open top "motorcycles", this is at least closed. For $6800 (new) - probably one of the cheapest ways to get from A to B. If the specs are correct it is 14 feet long, which is as long as my Volt is...

The first reason I would not get it for a LONG time, is because the company may not be around for long. Then how do you fix it. Also, everyone else better be driving smart cars or fiats around you though... The same reason, even if I could afford a viamotors truck I wouldn't get one of those just yet. Tesla, to me, has passed the staying around test.

If I had to drive a really long way on the highway often, I *might* consider going to look at it as a commuter car. Hard to say whether I would or would not get it, without seeing it in person. Until recently, I always used to look at large vehicles. Now that I Am older and wanting to save commuting money, smaller and more fuel efficient is the order of the day.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:12 PM

The older I get, the safer I want the car to be.

I thinking that getting hit in one of these won't be much different than getting hit in a tin can, most pickup trucks would probably end up on top of it and even a Honda Fit would probably push it into the next county.

Sort of like the Smart car that got smashed between two trucks, looked like a grilled cheese sandwich with ketchup on it.

The thing to watch out for would be bicycles, one of them hits you and it's over.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,017 times
No way! You couldn't pay me to take it!

Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The older I get, the safer I want the car to be.

I thinking that getting hit in one of these won't be much different than getting hit in a tin can, most pickup trucks would probably end up on top of it and even a Honda Fit would probably push it into the next county.

Sort of like the Smart car that got smashed between two trucks, looked like a grilled cheese sandwich with ketchup on it.

The thing to watch out for would be bicycles, one of them hits you and it's over.
I put in the class of motorcycle in terms of safety... As in, not very... I put the smart car in that category as well. I am with you Mack Knife - for my normal regular everyday car, I kinda want something safer. If I had to take a job far away in order to make ends meet and I needed to save every penny -- then maybe. Which is why I would never say never... At $6800 it could be bought with a cheap car payment and obviously you won't be putting alot of fuel in it.

Funny thing, this car is 14 feet long. (168") which is longer than the first car I owned back in 1990. (Honda CRX which was only 148" long)

Old 04-26-2014, 01:40 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Something like that is OK for puttering around town at low speed, but I would never drive one at speed, or attempt to corner at above 15. If you think it can't roll over and toss you, I have a three wheel vehicle to sell you.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:43 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We really like our Prius. It comfortably carries five adults. I routinely load it up with livestock feed, and it has done very well driving on ice and snow.

I do like motorcycles, but obviously they do not work as well for hauling others or stuff.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 PM

I can see it now:

Hey, did you just run over something?

Naw, that was a soda can someone threw out the window.

You sure? Thought I heard a scream.

Nope, that was the soda spraying out as I ran over it.

Hey, I see all kinds of red stuff on the road behind us.

Cherry soda I think.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Would you buy a vehicle like this one? Elio
Since the Elio is a concept and not a car, no. I can't drive a concept to buy groceries or anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living