Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
It would have been amazing if he drove the scenic routes instead of the drag route but then he'd still be out there somewhere waiting for a solar powered rescue vehicle and hoping a Priius didn't want to race.
You clearly missed the point. The infrastructure for charging stations is still being built out. If they had a charge station everywhere they had a gas station today, then he could have taken the scenic route.

Alternatively, he could have plugged into any outlet... which there are more of than gas stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:13 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
In a drag race, the standard Tesla S sedan will beat the majority of cars on the road. 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds, quarter mile in 13.7 seconds.

Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster Electric Sports Car, Model S and Tesla Model X SUV 0 to 60 stats!

The following quote, from the article linked in the first post, has significant information that seems to have been missed by several of the commenters...

Quote:
Fritts filled up at 10 super charge stations each way, following an interactive map on a large computer screen inside the car.
Here's one version of that map which gives an overview. He obviously planned his route to recharge at Tesla Supercharger locations, which provide an 80% recharge (about 150 miles range) in 20 minutes, at no cost to the car owner. That's a standard perk to all Tesla owners at Supercharger sites.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Quote:
"At their stations it charges about 150 miles worth of travel in 20 minutes," he said. Fritts wanted to prove he could make the coastal trip without spending a penny.
Following on the heels of recent NY to LA and LA to NY trips by different teams in Tesla S sedans which had made the news...

Quote:
In January, Model S owner John Glenney and his daughter Jill made a cross-country trip from New York to Los Angeles, racking up 3,619 miles on their electric car. They recharged their vehicle at 28 of Tesla's Supercharger stations.

Man Drives Tesla From NY To Miami Without Spending A Cent
... and celebrating 10 years since his heart surgery, Fritts obviously was out to have some fun with this Herkimer to Miami round trip of about 3,000 miles. And though he wasn't doing a Cannonball Run, a little pencil-to-napkin noodling shows that if his highway driving speed averaged 65 mph, each leg of about 150 miles would take about 2 1/2 hours, add 20 minutes for each recharge and personal pit stop, for a total of 2' 50" per leg, times 20 stops = 56 hrs 50"... only about 3% off the 58' 15" he reported total... so he was driving normal speeds.

Here's a brief video piece that shows details of the car, for those who are unfamiliar...

Man drives Tesla from New York to Miami at no cost - Orlando Sentinel

Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In a drag race, the standard Tesla S sedan will beat the majority of cars on the road. 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds, quarter mile in 13.7 seconds.

Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster Electric Sports Car, Model S and Tesla Model X SUV 0 to 60 stats!

The following quote, from the article linked in the first post, has significant information that seems to have been missed by several of the commenters...

Here's one version of that map which gives an overview. He obviously planned his route to recharge at Tesla Supercharger locations, which provide an 80% recharge (about 150 miles range) in 20 minutes, at no cost to the car owner. That's a standard perk to all Tesla owners at Supercharger sites.

Following on the heels of recent NY to LA and LA to NY trips by different teams in Tesla S sedans which had made the news...

... and celebrating 10 years since his heart surgery, Fritts obviously was out to have some fun with this Herkimer to Miami round trip of about 3,000 miles. And though he wasn't doing a Cannonball Run, a little pencil-to-napkin noodling shows that if his highway driving speed averaged 65 mph, each leg of about 150 miles would take about 2 1/2 hours, add 20 minutes for each recharge and personal pit stop, for a total of 2' 50" per leg, times 20 stops = 56 hrs 50"... only about 3% off the 58' 15" he reported total... so he was driving normal speeds.

Here's a brief video piece that shows details of the car, for those who are unfamiliar...

Man drives Tesla from New York to Miami at no cost - Orlando Sentinel
Well, yes.... There's a lot of ignorance shown in this thread. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:24 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
That's nice... meaningless, but nice...

Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 PM

384 posts, read 349,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The driver didn't pay for recharges but someone did, I fail to see how this is any different than someone making the same trip in a normal car and arranging for other people to buy his fuel.
I'm looking to purchase a car. Who currently offers an option of unlimited fuel other than Tesla?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Sounds like Tesla has solved the problem of recharging the car on long distance trips if you stick to the main interstates but theres still no where near enough charging stations to make me think of buying an electric car.
Do these Tesla charging stations accommodate electric cars other than Tesla products?
How much does one of these Tesla S cars cost.?

Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
A bit of information now, and it seems some of the figures that are quoted in this thread, are a bit out.

You may need to switch the map to North America, to see the distances involved. It looks to me like he was cutting it a wee bit close with some of those legs of the journey.

There would be a cost to the owner, fast charging any battery, shortens its useful life.

If all cars became electric, just think how large the charging stations would need to be, a car park, no doubt. Remember 75 minutes for a full charge, and that's the Supercharger!

I've just realised I could buy one of those Tesla Motors here in the UK, but I'd have to be happy with driving around London!

Last edited by BECLAZONE; 07-17-2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like Tesla has solved the problem of recharging the car on long distance trips if you stick to the main interstates but theres still no where near enough charging stations to make me think of buying an electric car.
The Tesla model won't fit every lifestyle, to be sure, but since the everyday use is for commuting, and the average American commute distance is only 13 miles, people are buying other brands of electric cars which only have 50-65 mile ranges and finding them adequate to their needs, while the Tesla S has a 210 mile range with the 85 kWh battery. And in so doing they are cutting their "fuel" costs in half over a gasoline engine car, and are enjoying driving a quiet, non-polluting car, with the convenience of being able to "fill up" at home in their own garage.

Quote:
Do these Tesla charging stations accommodate electric cars other than Tesla products?
Not at the moment, but BMW and other car companies are in discussion with Tesla about utilizing the Tesla model as their standard.

Quote:
How much does one of these Tesla S cars cost.?
It's a luxury sedan that starts at $70,000, but most buyers are loading on extra features that add another $10-20 thousand or more to the purchase price. And at that price level they are selling all they can build, with waiting lists.

Yesterday Tesla showed a prototype of their new Model 3, which will sell for about $35,000 and be available for purchase in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
A bit of information now, and it seems some of the figures that are quoted in this thread, are a bit out.
Not so. Tesla figures really are that good.

Quote:
You may need to switch the map to North America, to see the distances involved. It looks to me like he was cutting it a wee bit close with some of those legs of the journey.
The computer navigation system in the Tesla is superb, as is the battery management system, so he had no real worries.

Quote:
There would be a cost to the owner, fast charging any battery, shortens its useful life.
The warranty on the Tesla battery is 8 years.

Quote:
If all cars became electric, just think how large the charging stations would need to be, a car park, no doubt. Remember 75 minutes for a full charge, and that's the Supercharger!
But remember, most Tesla drivers, most of the time, are going to "top off their fuel" at home, overnight. The Supercharger stations are mostly for the purpose of extending range on longer trips.

Quote:
I've just realised I could buy one of those Tesla Motors here in the UK, but I'd have to be happy with driving around London!
Or as much as perhaps 100 miles out into the tulies and back.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
But remember, most Tesla drivers, most of the time, are going to "top off their fuel" at home, overnight. The Supercharger stations are mostly for the purpose of extending range on longer trips.
This is something a lot of people don't get. If you start out every day with a "full tank" you really aren't very limited in where you can go. And for most people, the "full tank" range of a Telsa is VASTLY more than they wil ever use in day to day operation. The Supercharger stations are for those few times when you absolutely need to go somewhere else.

And, as was mentioned, who else offers this for your car?

Hell, I only pay $10 a month for the electricity to commute on now with my Volt. A Tesla would be no more expensive to operate for me.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Hell, I only pay $10 a month for the electricity to commute on now with my Volt. A Tesla would be no more expensive to operate for me.
Yes, and when the Model 3 debuts in 2016, with a price of around $35,000, I think the demand will be much larger than the supply. I think that until Tesla gets their battery giga-factory built that battery availability will be the limiting factor on sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living