Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Wow, this is shocking even to someone who's as cynical about the American plutocracy as I am. And of course it happens in the most right wing "small gov't" states. What hypocrisy.

Living off the grid becomes illegal in Florida | praag.org

This time, it’s Robin Speronis that’s come under fire. She lives off the grid in Florida, completely independent of the city’s water and electric system. A few weeks ago, officials ruled her off-grid home illegal. Officials cited the International Property Maintenance Code, which mandates that homes be connected to an electricity grid and a running water source. That’s just like saying our dependency on corporations isn’t even a choice.
Where's the OP who made the absurd leap to blaming this illegal squatter's plight on the most right wing state?

Doesn't he or she have the guts to return to this thread and apologize for it? Or defend it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Hmm, a bit more on the story:

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/odd-new...234050584.html

She's also apparently tangled with the legal system over not returning earnest money in real estate transactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
A freeloader !

Surprised so many posters support the freeloader !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This story was already debunked on here a couple of weeks ago. The woman is a squatter in the house illegally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If this lady wants to live this way, she can move to the unincorporated part of the county and no one would bother her.

Cape Coma is one big HOA and she knew that when she moved there and knew that when she decided to live 'off grid'. I'm not against her living this way, but in this city, she doesn't have a choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Since when is Florida one of "the most right wing" states? Florida went "blue" the last two presidential elections.
Truth doesn't matter to some. It's just a drive-by posting without the guts to back it up.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Living in TX, I can assure anyone that it's not illegal to live off the grid. In fact, in some places you have to, because there is no sewer/water service, and while there may be electric, if you wanted to install solar panels and produce your own electricity, you certainly can. In fact, you can even produce more than you need and the power company will pay YOU for the surplus you generate.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It is up to her to find a way to dispose of waste. Other than that, unless they can prove that anything she does is a threat the public health they should leave her alone.
The way she'll probably find is to bag her waste and deposit it in some down-the-road dumpster a local business rents. She helps herself to things other people pay for. Cliven Bundy's probably her hero.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I live in the very next town to this lady and it is not simply a case of someone not wanting city services. She has a history of problems, the most notable the fraud case where she kept people's money. She is also living in unsanitary conditions, her home is a dump inside and out, and her neighbors hate her. They even took her dogs away because of the inhumane way they were living in that place.

So before people start defending her they need to know all the facts. This woman has some serious problems IMO.

Don

Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times
But is she a right winger, or victimized by the right wingers? The OP owes us an explanation.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:59 PM

256 posts, read 342,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have heard city council meeting where they were proposing water lines in areas that did not have any residences simply so they could tax people more for the water CAPABILITY in the area.
Greed is the word folks .
This is currently happening in my area. A bunch of homes have been already switched over, my street is in the next area to cover. -_-

I HATE city water. I'll take well water anyday.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Where's the OP who made the absurd leap to blaming this illegal squatter's plight on the most right wing state?

Doesn't he or she have the guts to return to this thread and apologize for it? Or defend it?

Truth doesn't matter to some. It's just a drive-by posting without the guts to back it up.

Truth? What part of my post wasn't the truth? She can move herself into a trailer out in BFE Lee County and live on a well and septic and no one would bother her. In Cape Coma, she cannot. In the City of Fort Myers, she cannot. In the unincorporated areas of Lee County she can pretty much do whatever she wants.

Years ago Cape Coral used to be well and septic only...over the last 20 or years they've been expanding their water lines to the whole city so everyone is on city water/sewer...no more septic, no more well...and no choice in the matter.

Do you live in Cape Coral? This was a hot topic a long time ago and no one here feels sorry for her. Did you know her dog was recently taken away from her because of neglect? Or is that just Big Brother trying to 'run her life'?

Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
I've lived in a box truck, cargo trailer, warehouse etc and I recently checked with a city planner about living in a Home Depot shed.

He said that wouldn't be legal anywhere in Idaho

The Tiny House gang is skirting some hassle by building on trailers but it seems like The Machine really wants slaves tied in at all points.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
move out of Florida or Texas

Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Still waiting for the Texas story? Only one poster responded that you CAN live in Texas off grid.

Notoriouskelly - Yep - mobile home makes the have to connect a non-issue. A person around me inherited a house but couldn't keep it up. Eventually, the county dozed it as it was unsafe. He pitched a tent on the property and lives in it instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living