Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

So after buying cans of paint that say no voc, I read the warning labels on the outside of the can and they all say they contain chemicals that cause cancer. So, they don't list the ingredients, and I'm wondering how am I supposed to know what is good and what is bad. I thought zero voc was good, but not if they contain known chemicals that knowingly cause cancer. Does anyone know of any safe clear gloss like finish that I can apply over painted wood and or metal to protect the color from water damage? I don't want to use anything that is unhealthy in any way. So, homemade or store bought, as long as it is 100% green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
So after buying cans of paint that say no voc, I read the warning labels on the outside of the can and they all say they contain chemicals that cause cancer.
Warning labels as they exist now are a danger to society. Because of overzealous lawyers and over regulation they have become meaningless. There might be a substance in there that caused cancer in rat with an exposure rate 10000 times what you might expect in real world scenario.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
No VOCs is good. Without knowing what is in the can of gloss, hard to know otherwise. I agree with thecoalman here - sometimes the warning labels are a little overzealous. My favorite ones are the ones that warn just people in California that this substance may cause cancer, like if you got exposed to it in another state it is fine. As in "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects, residents in those states should use caution when applying this product."

Wish I had something in mind, but the most benign stuff I find all has some sort of warning on it.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times
I think the whole "California" thing is because that particular state had a law passed. It does sound weird though. But still, there are chemicals that are known to cause cancer, and certain cans of gloss sealant do contain those chemicals. So, I'm looking for a "green" type that is safe and natural.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
So, I'm looking for a "green" type that is safe and natural.
You might find what you are looking for here...

Non toxic low or zero voc protective concrete, roof and asphalt and tile sealants | 1-800-968-9355

Old 05-12-2014, 02:34 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
I think the whole "California" thing is because that particular state had a law passed. It does sound weird though. But still, there are chemicals that are known to cause cancer, and certain cans of gloss sealant do contain those chemicals. So, I'm looking for a "green" type that is safe and natural.
I now that California is ahead of the curve when testing for carcinogens... Just sounds bizarre.

Hopefully OpenD found something good for you.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
You are exposed to things that can cause all kinds of health problems on a daily basis. Drinking a quart of mercury is not a good thing, in the real world breaking a CFL exposing yourself to mercury vapor is not something to be all that concerned about unless it was happening every day.

If we are putting warning labels on everything it becomes meaningless and actually a danger because stuff that is truly hazardous is going to be overlooked.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
So after buying cans of paint that say no voc, I read the warning labels on the outside of the can and they all say they contain chemicals that cause cancer. So, they don't list the ingredients, and I'm wondering how am I supposed to know what is good and what is bad. I thought zero voc was good, but not if they contain known chemicals that knowingly cause cancer. Does anyone know of any safe clear gloss like finish that I can apply over painted wood and or metal to protect the color from water damage? I don't want to use anything that is unhealthy in any way. So, homemade or store bought, as long as it is 100% green.
The wood you're trying to seal can cause cancer. The metal most likely as well.

Why would you think that "green" anything means safe or healthful?

You know, often, coating materials that can cause concerns when in their pre-applied state become rather inert after application.

While your wish to avoid using things that are unhealthful is a good idea, it isn't often very practical because even many things in nature are unhealthful for humans. Non-VOC does not mean not harmful.

Consider that some coatings that are stable and durable when applied are better for the environment than those that break down or are less durable and as a result, end up in the environment as waste product even though they are considered "green". What would you rather have, something you need to coat and recoat or coat once and have it last?

Proceed carefully when coating over existing paint. The coating that will be compatible will depend on the over coating and how it reacts with the paint. Use the wrong over coat and the result will be a mess and the original paint will need to be removed and then, so much for being green.

Last edited by Mack Knife; 05-12-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 02:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Y Drinking a quart of mercury is not a good thing, ...
I don't think drinking mercury regularly is a good idea, but it is not as poisonous as you might think. In fact, metallic mercury was used as a treatment for syphilis as late as the early 20th century. As the saying goes, "One night with Venus could result in a lifetime with mercury."

Mercury salts are pretty nasty, and organomercury compounds, especially dimethylmercury, are lethal in milligram quantities.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 AM

732 posts, read 968,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The wood you're trying to seal can cause cancer. The metal most likely as well.
Only the dust of certain woods can cause lung & throat cancers. There are lists of which ones can cause what problems on the internet.

Also, not all metals can cause cancer. Most metals are even ingested as minerals. Some are required and unhealthy to NOT ingest enough of and some aren't good to ingest in excess.

If you think labels on products that warn about cancer risks of products is over-cautious or alarmist, how is your exaggeration about wood & metal causing cancer different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living