Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times

Advertisements

Vinegar is cost-efficient and environmentally friendly for housecleaning.

However

1) In my opinion Vinegar doesn't smell very good. How to feel clean with that smell? Mix in essential oils like lavender?

2) I have used vinegar to clean before and it just seemed so watery (and I'll repeat- smelly) and didn't seem to clean up the surfaces at all, no more than water would.

3) And as far as using it for laundry...some sources say it's good for washing, other sources say it's good as fabric softener.

Please share your thoughts & tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Vinager is no more smelly or watery than bleach or ammonia.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The smell of vinegar disappears after it dries. You only smell it when it's wet. But you can add a few drops of essential oil to a solution of one part vinegar and one part water, plus a few drops of dish soap. That will help the cleaning solution cut grease. If you have gunk that's hard to scrub off, use baking soda with the cleaning solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
3) And as far as using it for laundry...some sources say it's good for washing, other sources say it's good as fabric softener.
Yes.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I use it to clean and freshen my coffee pot my mr coffee that is and it does a good job as long as you remember to run 2-4 rinses with plain water after the water /vinegar mix. Your coffee will taste so much better when you do this once a month .

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Nothing cleans a car windshield as clear and EASY as vinegar and water.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:15 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Vinegar is cost-efficient and environmentally friendly for housecleaning.

However

1) In my opinion Vinegar doesn't smell very good. How to feel clean with that smell? Mix in essential oils like lavender?

2) I have used vinegar to clean before and it just seemed so watery (and I'll repeat- smelly) and didn't seem to clean up the surfaces at all, no more than water would.

Please share your thoughts & tips?

I do clean with it and I prefer the smell to ammonia or bleach. I mix it with baking soda when cleaning a counter top or stove.

I also use it to wash vinegar.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I use vinegar and baking soda to clean my tub and kitchen sink. I open a window and plug in a fan to help clear out the odor.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
I use vinegar to remove the scale on my shower glass doors and plumbing finish fixtures like the faucets and handles. Also, I've used straight vinegar on my patio's concrete slab and scrubbed it with a nylon brush to clean. Works awesome.

I also use it for:

home windows
car windows
cleaning vegetables
removing dried Simpson Strong-tie epoxy from my hands
coffee maker
refrigerator door water dispenser (scale)
refrigerator interior (doors, shelving)
removing stains on white t-shirts (for more stubborn stains I'll smear some of that Mexican pink bar soap- this stuff is AMAZING and very inexpensive)

-Cheers

Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Mexican Pink Bar Soap???

This stuff?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:14 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I don't mean to intrude on the thread. I recycle, but I'm not what you'd call a "green" living person.

I noticed the title of this thread, and just wanted to say that I've read in many different places that white vinegar is the best thing to use for cleaning laminate floors.

I used it last Friday on my floors in place of my regular cleaner, hoping that the floors would shine like new, the way all the things I'd read said it would!

Alas, it did clean, but certainly no better than the commercial cleaners I usually use, and there was no nice lingering scent like I usually have.

I think water alone would have cleaned just as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living