U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 AM

6,509 posts, read 6,429,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
make sure you won't need to replace your roof in the neat future either....

unfortunately here in AZ, it is not cost effective for me. Solar City came out and quoted me a price that would take me close to 15 years to break even. And the lease price wasn't any better either, it was about the same price per month! He said you would lease to just be green.
Any good solar installation company will cover removal and replacement when you do roof work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:11 PM

12,667 posts, read 9,909,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know have you ever thought about getting solar panels on the roof of your home? If so when and why?
I would totally go for it, but don't own a home yet.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:24 PM

738 posts, read 809,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Are there certain brands of panels you recommend? Brands to avoid?

And are there 2 major types of panels?

Thanks
We had really good results with Kyocera. They were made well and had an excellent warranty. When one of the panels began to "nod", we contacted Kyocera, they issued a return authorization, we went to the distribution center and they just exchanged our panel for a new one.

Panels as well as mounts are specific to your installation. A full site survey should be completed so that you get the best possible installation. Prices vary by location.

RVcook

Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM

9,762 posts, read 8,099,612 times
question, can solar panels made for home roofs withstand hail and hurricane strength winds? Does home insurance cover weather related damage to solar panels?

Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
question, can solar panels made for home roofs withstand hail and hurricane strength winds?
When properly made and properly installed, yes.

Quote:
Does home insurance cover weather related damage to solar panels?
Generally, yes, but read your policy.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 AM

1,234 posts, read 937,573 times
Hmmm, when ROI/payback is right I'll do it, but out here on the west coast (LA) there are a lot of scams with small time Solar equipment providers.

They advertise "no costs upfront", that's because you are purchasing a lease-back deal where it will take 10-15-20 years to pay off the contract.

The cost of electricity, including city taxes and surcharges runs about 15.3 cents per Kwh ($113 for 734Kw), which rough-averages to about $1356 per year. I don't ever go over Tier I. Spending a couple hundred dollars in all CPF bulbs, newer efficient refrigerator/washer/dryer/water heater was about the best for me in the short run.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,108,375 times
There is a current effort for Floyd County residents to go solar:

http://www.vasun.org/wp-content/uplo...et_final-2.pdf

A 5 kW system costs $17,500 installed. There there is a 30% federal tax credit which is $5,250.

I met with the guy today and I have just about the perfect situation. The 48' garage faces due south and there is no blockage/shading from trees or other buildings. I have an all electric house with a heat pump and whole house A/C (although I don't use the A/C very much, many days not at all, others for a few hours to cool the house just a bit withe the t-stat set at 75F). My location has 187 nights a year on average when the temp drops below 40 degrees, at which point the aux. system kicks in and that consumes lots of juice even though in winter I set the t-stat at 62F during the day and 55 at night.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 AM

6,509 posts, read 6,429,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
question, can solar panels made for home roofs withstand hail and hurricane strength winds? Does home insurance cover weather related damage to solar panels?
Wind related damage is cover by homeowners insurance.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,108,375 times
My consideration of going solar just got a big monkey wrench thrown in to the plan because AEP is trying to get the state commission to allow them to charge net metering customers a monthly fee.

Appalachian Power's proposed fee targets users of solar panels - Roanoke Times: News

AT this point in time they are only asking it for units of 10 kW or larger but if they get that I think that it won't be long before they try to impose such a fee on all units. They want to justify the fee by claiming that owners of systems are in effect selling their excess power without having to pay any of the cost of the power lines, fuel (in our case mostly coal) etc. They will sell what ever excess power I generate to another customer at the same retail rate that they are "crediting" me on my bill but they do not have to pay for the fuel to generate that power, just the equipment to move it. I must assume that the retail price that they charge does factor in all their costs, including long term equipment purchase and maintenance plus enough to make a profit. It seems likely that the cost of fuel would be a big part of their expenses.

I might understand it if they wanted a one time fee but a charge month after month seems excessive to me.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM

12,971 posts, read 23,542,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
My consideration of going solar just got a big monkey wrench thrown in to the plan because AEP is trying to get the state commission to allow them to charge net metering customers a monthly fee......
I might understand it if they wanted a one time fee but a charge month after month seems excessive to me.
Hawai'i has had net metering for some time now, which allows the homeowner to feed electricity into the grid and roll back the meter at the same rate they are charged for electricity they consume from the grid. Power fed into the grid in excess of the homeowner's usage is banked as a credit against future use, which offsets seasonal variations. The minimum charge from the utility is $20 per month. Effectively this means that most people pay $20 per month, and run a bit ahead on their balance in sunnier months.

I think this is fair, and most of my friends seem to think so to. The utility is not only furnishing the poles and wires and transformers etc. that make up the physical grid, but also the conventional generating capacity that provides stability to the grid when demand exceeds supply, and in addition is managing the whole operation. And when Tropical Storm Iselle struck recently, and literally thousands of power poles and transformers and connected lines were downed, it was the utility company that brought in workers and equipment and supplies from all over the state for the massive cleanup operations.

And of course there is an alternative to spending that $20 per month, which is to spend a few thousand$ on a battery bank and a backup generator so you don't have to connect to the grid at all. It's your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or