U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,561,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Wow. Reading through this thread, there is certainly a great deal of disrespect being given......Hint: It's not the OP
Hint: If you read through all the threads the OP has posted here recently, you'll see the common thread... disrespect for anyone who in any way espouses environmental concerns, and particular scorn for specific individuals with whom he does not agree. The slur in the title of this thread should be a good indication of why he gets so much pushback for his deliberately controversial postings. "Green groupie hypocrisy"? How is that supposed to engender respectful discourse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,613,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hint: If you read through all the threads the OP has posted here recently, you'll see the common thread... disrespect for anyone who in any way espouses environmental concerns, and particular scorn for specific individuals with whom he does not agree. The slur in the title of this thread should be a good indication of why he gets so much pushback for his deliberately controversial postings. "Green groupie hypocrisy"? How is that supposed to engender respectful discourse?
Although I agree with you, it doesn't give a green light to light him up (in nature it would, but this is a forum and you shouldn't feed the fire). We can disagree respectfully with this intentionally disrespectful individual, no need to fall down to their level.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Although I agree with you, it doesn't give a green light to light him up (in nature it would, but this is a forum and you shouldn't feed the fire). We can disagree respectfully with this intentionally disrespectful individual, no need to fall down to their level.
I agree totally, and I do endeavor to remain civil in the face of passive/aggressive insults and nastiness and screeching diatribes. But when anyone shows no respect for others, or for the environmental efforts which are foundational to this forum even existing here, they drag down the tone and the mood here, and turn what should be polite discussions into a combative slop pit.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see others call out bad behavior when they see it, rather than just ignoring it.

I mean, just look at the current list of topics. It's dominated by hostility and anger and disrespect. Not very welcoming, and not encouraging for people who just want to read about and discuss green living and sustainability and working with the environment, is it?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM
MJ7

Quote:
I agree totally, and I do endeavor to remain civil in the face of passive/aggressive insults and nastiness and screeching diatribes. But when anyone shows no respect for others, or for the environmental efforts which are foundational to this forum even existing here, they drag down the tone and the mood here, and turn what should be polite discussions into a combative slop pit.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see others call out bad behavior when they see it, rather than just ignoring it.

I mean, just look at the current list of topics. It's dominated by hostility and anger and disrespect. Not very welcoming, and not encouraging for people who just want to read about and discuss green living and sustainability and working with the environment, is it?
We are welcome to our opinions, if he upset you, then you are welcome to your own opinion. Like I said above, this isn't nature, because it isn't real, this is just the internet. People will say many things, but we can't fall for their antics. If we simply ignore or disagree and then ignore it would probably be best for this forum. Engage your opinion and leave it alone, no need to call people out. If they disrespect you, don't waste your time with them. The regulars here know what is happening, there is no need to remind us all.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
We are welcome to our opinions, if he upset you, then you are welcome to your own opinion. Like I said above, this isn't nature, because it isn't real, this is just the internet. People will say many things, but we can't fall for their antics. If we simply ignore or disagree and then ignore it would probably be best for this forum. Engage your opinion and leave it alone, no need to call people out.
I am bemused that you are calling me out for calling someone out for bad behavior.

If it were just a matter of differing opinion, I'm really OK with that. But when someone continually mocks and ridicules me personally, and bashes others, my interest in responding is... umm... somewhat heightened.

Quote:
If they disrespect you, don't waste your time with them. The regulars here know what is happening, there is no need to remind us all.
How would I know that unless others call out habitual bad behavior? To tell you the truth it has seemed as though the silence from others is assent.

I'd just like to see civil, respectful discussions here and hope others are aligned with that wish.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:50 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,845,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
How much money are you talking about that's got you so upset...a couple of bucks a month? Sheesh...take it up with whoever hauls your garbage away.
I rarely speak about topics here as personal issues. First, everyone has different experiences and lives in different places. Given that, no one could ever make a point because someone else will have an individual experience that could make it irrelevant.

I make it a point to tell readers that when I use the word "you" it isn't personal to them unless they make it that way first. So it isn't the few dollars I pay for the service.

Think about how things affect us individually, none of us can easily justify much of going green can we? Isn't the whole idea to affect the global environment and that trickles down to each of us?

The fees will propagate out to other cities and states and then like any fee, it becomes not a small number. Each person has limited resources and fee always impact the less affluent the hardest. In that, I can afford the fees, it doesn't make a difference in my life. But what about everyone else and to benefit whom and take from where?

Why should I care about anything if in my lifetime it won't matter much? Lowering green house gasses? Why should I care? By the time I leave this earth green house gases isn't going to matter, I've been hearing about rising temps and so on for decades and every 20 years someone comes out and says it's another 20 years. Sure, eventually an asteroid will hit the earth too. So should I not care or should I consider how much my life impacts the environment?

I find it strange how people are willing to just give a pass about things like fees or fines to pay for something you're already paying someone else to do and that they are the ones issuing the fees or fines. Individually the money isn't a big deal but all those small amounts are going into one pocket, using the environment as an excuse.

Using the above idea, is it a wonder many people think there is rampant hypocrisy in the green movement (if there is such a thing) and when asked to cut this or stop doing that they turn a deaf ear?

Looking at the environment from an individual perspective is the reason there are so many environmental issues.

Either there is a collective effort or there is none. I can easily pay any fee or fine for dumping food waste into the trash receptacles. Should I because it doesn't bother me? Should I water a nice lush green lawn because I have my own water and some distance away there is very little? Should I use as much public transit that relies on EV technology or other clean air tech when I can easily afford to fire up the diesel and spew particulates into the air because I sit in a sealed air conditioned cab and shouldn't car less?

Lots of people think that way and now perhaps you'll know why.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:55 PM
MJ7

Quote:
I am bemused that you are calling me out for calling someone out for bad behavior.

I'd just like to see civil, respectful discussions here and hope others are aligned with that wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living