U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,565,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I just mowed my lawn, but I did not hear any screams, so I'll say no.
Next up for discussion: Does your hair feel pain when you get a haircut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,044,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Next up for discussion: Does your hair feel pain when you get a haircut?
Or do your nails feel pain when cut?

What about all those poor bacteria when you brush your teeth? Destroying perfectly happy families doing nothing more than building homes on your teeth and gums.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,859,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabel teaberry View Post
I have always been told that grass,plants and trees have a nervous system. Plants are supposed to respond to talking and music. Do you believe grass feels pain?
I really do not know but I still remember my teacher in school telling us about a scientist who did an experiment with plants. He hooked two of them up to sensors and then took one and threw it on the floor and stomped on it . Apparently the other plant reacted strongly to this on his sensors. I don't remember the details only that one plant reacted to the other being harmed.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:49 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,565,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I really do not know but I still remember my teacher in school telling us about a scientist who did an experiment with plants. He hooked two of them up to sensors and then took one and threw it on the floor and stomped on it . Apparently the other plant reacted strongly to this on his sensors. I don't remember the details only that one plant reacted to the other being harmed.
Probably reacted to the strong air movement. They do that, the same as they do when they turn toward light. It doesn't mean they have a nervous system, which is required in order to feel pain.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:55 AM

17,785 posts, read 53,968,601 times
The issue is partly semantic and partly not understanding the science involved.

Do humans feel pain?

Yes and no. Anesthesiologists will be the first to say that they simply don't understand how anesthesia works. There are a number of theories, and somehow either blocking signals, disrupting them, or disrupting brain function appear to eliminate them during the occurrence and any conscious memory thereafter.

If you sever the nerves to a limb first and then run the limb through a wood chipper and no "pain" will be felt by the person attached to the limb. The arm may still react, and within the structure remaining individual cells will be putting out distress calls.

Are the distress calls "pain?" If you think that each cell has some degree of cogent thought to go along with a stimulus, you could argue it feels pain and pleasure. If you think that the chemical/electrical signals put off by a damaged cell constitute pain, you could argue the point. Most scientists would disagree without more proof.

Culturally, some cultures have minimized or ignored pain to the point that it is only minimally recognized. Hypnosis and moving the mind into a different state or distracting it with other sensations such as the adrenaline of fight or flight will minimize and/or remove pain for a period.

Life inherently reacts to stressors of any type. We feel sensations when we are hungry, need to poo, are thirsty, have too much pressure or heat. We can call those pain or not. We can ignore them or not.

In short, the very CONCEPT of "pain" as defined by western culture is a highly structured construct and cultural artifact. Last time I checked, I did not see evidence of grasses conforming to western culture and creating governments, pop singers, or other common cultural artifacts. I see no reason for them to understand pain in our fashion.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:56 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,201,719 times
There are foods that taste wonderful to one person while another gags at the thought of eating it. Some people enjoy pain, there is even a word for it so is that really pain to them?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 AM

234 posts, read 251,741 times
Yes, but on a different frequency.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 AM

186 posts, read 129,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabel teaberry View Post
I have always been told that grass,plants and trees have a nervous system. Plants are supposed to respond to talking and music. Do you believe grass feels pain?

Is this for real??? LOL, oh my gosh

Old 11-15-2014, 02:17 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,739,874 times
they don't have a brain so how could they??

Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,044,250 times
My grass is shivering outside now, because it is so cold. I'm thinking of knitting little sweaters for each blade in my spare time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living