U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 03:04 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,832,318 times

Advertisements

An interesting article that beings forth some valid questions and observations.

One observation: Wind farms make no sense without massive tax credits.

Clean Energy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:27 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,536,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
One observation: Wind farms make no sense without massive tax credits.
Correction: One person's observation is that wind farms make no sense without massive tax credits.

Here we have another right-wing opinion piece, published on a right-wing site, from a man with a right-wing book to sell.

What he conveniently overlooks is that there is no alternative to replacing the fossil fuel that funds negative pieces like this. Whether you believe that it will all be used up in 80 years or 200 years or whatever your number is, the day will come when it is all used up. There's no more being made, and the stuff that's easy to get is already playing out. It's an inescapable fact that we must change how we power our society. And unfortunately the nuclear disasters at Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima have pretty well cooked the future of that industry as far as the public is concerned, and nothing else is remotely close to replacing it.

Meanwhile the sun shines, and the wind blows - powered by the sun- and it's non-polluting, compared with fossil fuels which are all polluting.

It also conveniently overlooks the fact that in some areas wind and solar have already achieved cost parity with conventional energy generation methods, and even lowered bills to consumers.

There is a HUGE amount of money at stake for the fossil fuel industry in being replaced by non-polluting renewable resources, which is why so many pieces like this keep popping up everywhere in the media trying to slow down the inevitable.

The question I have is, why would anyone of intelligence fall for them? The right-wingers keep crying "follow the money" when it's quite clear that far, far more money is being spent by coal, oil and gas interests to try to slow down what is ultimately unstoppable... a wholesale shift away from fossil fuels.

And those of us who support personal practices and government policies for a healthy planet and a clean environment that are sustainable for future generations... the ones that this forum is meant for, but who the OP constantly attacks as "greeners" and "hippies" and "do-gooders" and the like... can see the difference in where the money is coming from.

Seriously, why can't everyone else?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,832,318 times
Pet for sale. Follows without command. Post and it will immediately bark, sometimes twice. Never pulls the leash but stays just at the heel. Very needy though, requires constant attention and gets emotional when not spoken to constantly.

Any takers? Not sure of the breed though. Eats anything green. Easy to care for though, just say something, anything at all and it is busy for hours.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:52 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,536,189 times
You're so... silly. I'll bet you think Carly Simon's song is about you... don't you?... don't you?

I happen to have the time available to rebut bad thinking and outright deception, such as comes up on this forum frequently from various opponents of environmentalism, who somehow want to use this forum for bashing, rather than being supportive and helpful and forward thinking. They are legion and I take them all on. I consider it a Public Service.

And now that I've found the smoking gun that proves you are a hypocrite, and actually do read my posts, why don't you just drop the pretense and engage directly with what I say here?

Oh, because you can't deal with superior logic and factual information? Sorry, that's not my problem.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-12-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living