Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,800 times

Advertisements

Anyone had actual experience with the Air X sized wind turbines? I'm building a small Granny unit which will be operated offgrid except for water. Since the water is municipal and already available, sinking a well isn't practical. Permits aren't an issue and neither is late afternoon winds that come around like clockwork.

Experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM

389 posts, read 616,636 times
I suggest this forum Solar Electric Power Discussion Forum by Northern Arizona Wind & Sun They are very active. And to support the community, you just buy some stuff from the store (or not).

Old 10-28-2014, 07:05 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
I ran the figures on a home that was off-grid, had two small wind generators. Home was located up on the plains above Dallas where the winds blow pretty much continuously.

Actual return as approximately 50% of costs over the life of the unit.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:43 PM

I'm on over at ASW but thought I'd check here to see if anyone had been there, done that for discussion. Just mixing up sources for variety. I don't need technical help.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
I ran the figures on a home that was off-grid, had two small wind generators. Home was located up on the plains above Dallas where the winds blow pretty much continuously.

The key to reasonable return is wind speed, because the power in wind rises as the cube of the wind speed. That is to say, if the wind speed is increased by 2X the power will increase 8X

Wind turbines are designed to operate at different speed ranges, and matching your equipment to your wind speed is critical, because spinning at low speed 24/7 won't produce as much power as spinning at high speed only part of the time.

In other words, ignore generalities. There is no substitute for actual measurements and careful calculations.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post

Can you recall the size of the house and some other information like how the owners liked having them?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
North of Dallas, I would have utilized solar in addition to wind. (I used to live in Irving)

Old 10-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
North of Dallas, I would have utilized solar in addition to wind. (I used to live in Irving)
That will be the case here, solar, wind and passive solar radiators that are inside east, west and southern facing rooms. I'm making the solar radiators myself so they are more of an experiment than anything else. The plans are already done so heres hoping.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:43 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
2525, the home was about 1600 SF, well insulated, insulated windows, etc. single story 3/2 rancher. Where that house was, southern facing, but cooling is much more important, not heat (105 degree heat in the summer). Cost figures were based on the actual savings (he was not completely off-grid, coop electric, but was most of the time) compared to electric charges, calculated over the probable life of the unit, and factoring in probable electric cost increases.

Owner liked the turbines, but they did make noise. Smaller units make a high-pitched whine as the equipment works faster as opposed to the OMG wind generators you see dotting the hills. Think about hearing that at 11 pm when trying to sleep. Also, reliability can be iffy. Wind stops, no electric. There was a brown-out in West Texas a few years ago because of too high a reliability in an area on wind turbines...and the wind stopped blowing. I have also seen many in North Texas down due to equipment failure, and repairs can be very pricy. Finally, too much wind is just as bad as no wind. The units will shut down if the wind exceeds design standards, and this is lower than one would expect. It varies by design, manufacturer.

So, just really run the figures before investing. Same with solar. Equipment changes are coming in the next 5 years which should really increase efficiency and cut purchase costs.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:04 PM

I have left over but new panels so the cost is already absorbed. I know what you mean about the noise from larger turbines, couldn't imagine living close to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living