U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,961,353 times

Advertisements

You also forgot - large families may need two fridges. I buy things in bulk and a freezer in the garage helps with that. I almost want a fridge that just has the fresh food side and then get another one the same size for the freezer part....

I'm all for green living and saving the environment, but at the same time I still have to live...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 11:48 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,876,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You also forgot - large families may need two fridges. I buy things in bulk and a freezer in the garage helps with that. I almost want a fridge that just has the fresh food side and then get another one the same size for the freezer part....

I'm all for green living and saving the environment, but at the same time I still have to live...
I heard of a couple that lives in South Dakota has 3 fridges. The ideal is they like to buy Asian groceries, but the closest place is in Minnesota. Those extra fridges let them buy in bulk and store them for the long haul. While costing extra energy, I'm sure their CoL is cheap enough to make up for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
On the high end.

Besides, you could say that about most anything. You want to do something really beneficial for the environment and your wallet? Get rid of your second car.
There are quite a lot of candidates that while this fridge one sounded a preachy, at least it was a decent read. Then you have those that use microwave ovens to excessively heat and reheat food, and those that throw only one item into the washer rather than at least a half load.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:35 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
First frig after moving was two years old, newly repaired. The compressor bit the dust three years later. Next was new, and before the warrenty was up had a repair. Now I've had it two and a half years. The freezer section doesn't freeze right.

I can't afford to replace it again with a new one so it better last. I'd LOVE one like the one mom and dad had which ran for twenty years. You had to defrost it but it I have a stand alone freezer since with the icemaker the freezer in this is teeny.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:12 AM

12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times
If you so an energy audit, you will find the second refrigerator pretty far down the list. Sliding glass doors are far worse.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 AM

9,662 posts, read 18,852,256 times
In the article they said the national average for a kilowatt is 13 cents. Here, it's 44 cents, so folks are pretty careful about what they plug in. We keep an energy star refrigerator as well as a small freezer, but we've also got 3.9 kW of solar panels on the roof to power it with. Ecologically as well as economically speaking, if it's driven by solar power, I suppose it doesn't matter how much power it uses?

Old 11-28-2014, 05:00 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,133,940 times
If someone has 2 or more refrigerators it's none of my business.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:30 AM

7,110 posts, read 8,147,355 times
As someone who lives off grid, I have had to educate myself about appliances and the power they use.

Refrigerators and freezers - old and new - are not energy hogs. Nor are the things you turn on for just a couple minutes (toaster, mixer, blender, etc). The biggest energy eaters are hair dryers (15-1600 watts, and climbing all the time), microwaves (usually over 1000 watts now), well pumps, power tools, air conditioning, water heaters, coffee makers, laundry machines, and clothes irons.

Unless you want to get rid of those things (doubtful...), don't complain about any type of fridge or freezer. It simply isn't what's eating up your watts. These journalists ought to do their homework!

Old 11-28-2014, 09:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
FWIW I love my thirty year old Kenmore side by side. We had to put a fan in it about ten years sgo. I wouldn't trade it fro ten LG's or Samsungs......JMHO

Old 11-28-2014, 09:13 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,868,414 times
This is about control, always telling everyone else what to do, how to do it and when to do it.

Some people need a 2nd fridge, what business is it of anyone else? Until the people asking these questions are themselves doing everything possible (not practical, but possible) to lower their impact on the environment, they have no room to talk.

Some people need 3 fridges, so what?

Why don't we all just like in mud huts, wear burlap clothing and scavenge food?

Watch, someone will come along to proclaim the efficiency of mud huts, burlap clothing...

Old 11-28-2014, 09:19 AM

4,914 posts, read 4,061,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
This is about control, always telling everyone else what to do, how to do it and when to do it.

Some people need a 2nd fridge, what business is it of anyone else? Until the people asking these questions are themselves doing everything possible (not practical, but possible) to lower their impact on the environment, they have no room to talk.

Some people need 3 fridges, so what?

Why don't we all just like in mud huts, wear burlap clothing and scavenge food?

Watch, someone will come along to proclaim the efficiency of mud huts, burlap clothing...
That is exactly what it's all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or