Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:20 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,882 times

Advertisements

"Why it's not okay to have ___________"
"Why you should not say ____________"
"The 10 things you should say to your kids at age 10 ____________"

Sheesh, the Internet is getting awful bossy and nanny-like these days. Taking an hour stroll on the Internet makes me feel like I live under my parents' roof again!

I love my second refrigerator and second freezer, thank you very much. I stock up on soda and extra meat while I can because I live 40 miles from civilization. And if the WaPo doesn't like it, too bad! By the way, I proudly make my trips to buy all that stuff in my evil, gas-guzzling SUV too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:35 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
This is why entertaining in winter is so convenient. S long as the drinks don't freeze outside on he deck,it's all good!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:49 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
This is why entertaining in winter is so convenient. S long as the drinks don't freeze outside on he deck,it's all good!
For a Christmas gathering a few years ago, I stuck bottled beer in a snow drift right outside the deck door. I thought we had either consumed it all or retrieved it all after the party. It was not until all the snow melted a few months later that I found a few bottles that had gotten really buried!

Old 11-29-2014, 08:56 AM

338 posts, read 421,236 times
Quote:
"Maybe this scene sounds familiar: It's Thanksgiving, you're sitting and watching the American football game, and you want a tin of alcohol. So what do you do? If you're like many Americans, you won't go over to the kitchen fridge, which is now crammed with leftovers. Rather, you'll trek down to the basement or out to the garage to the second refrigerator (A.K.A., the 'alcoholic fridge')."
Yes, there is a 30-year old Frigidaire in the garage and no, that scene sounds completely alien to me. I never take alcohol and I avoid watching American "football" like the plague. (Think I'd rather floss with razor wire.)

And yes, it's perfectly okay to have a second refrigerator.

Quote:
"As the freezer gets emptier, I move the jugs from the fridge part to the freezer part, or as the freezer gets filled back up, I move jugs from the freezer to the fridge."
I'd be kind of worried about having jugs in the freezer. Sounds like a case of hypothermia waiting to happen.

Last edited by ratchetjaw; 11-29-2014 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Here's another reason not to have a second fridge, besides the energy wastage:
It makes you look like an over-consuming Ugly American. Maybe you are one. But you don't have to advertise it.

Actually, that statement makes you look like an officious busybody, passing judgment on one thing you've decided makes others look like "over-consumers." Gimmeabreak.

Also, the Washington Post dictates, like Al Gore, that something's verboten, so we're all supposed to fall in line? Not this little girl.

We pay for our energy usage (which pales, BTW, in comparison to Al Gore's and the rest of the private-jet hypocrite crowd), and others can do the same. And in the interest of full disclosure, we have a small, old, little fridge in the basement which we move to the Florida room in the summer. And we did what we read museums around the world did before the incandescent lightbulb phaseout began--we stocked up.

The world would, indeed, be a better place if people minded their own dang business.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:48 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
I'd be kind of worried about having jugs in the freezer. Sounds like a case of hypothermia waiting to happen.
I'll warm 'em up.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm sure the WP didn't include the many Americans who don't live a block from the grocery store and have to drive miles to the nearest grocery store. That ends up costing much more than having several extra refrigerated appliances at home.
I could see that- we find a full-size freezer in addition to the refrigerator ( we just have one) helps a lot to minimize those long trips to the grocery store.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Most of the posters here have missed the point, which is not about how much electricity you can afford to pay for.

It's about considering the environmental costs associated with your choices. Fossil fuel powered electrical plants generate carbon pollution, and using less electricity means less pollution is generated. That's the real point.

Many people are simply not aware that refrigerators over about 7 years old use more energy than modern designs do, and nearly empty "beer fridges" waste the most.

And it's a common-sense consideration. Sure, if you live in the boonies and keep a second fridge full because it saves trips to the city to shop, then that's a reasonable justification.

Since the incandescent light bulb situation was brought up, hoarding them was truly a case of missing the point. They are the cheapest to buy but the most expensive to operate. LED lamps use 1/10 the electricity. And as I pointed out earlier, that means LEDs are not only cheaper overall, but are responsible for only 1/10 the carbon pollution. Individually it's no big deal, but collectively it adds up to quite a lot.

That's the point.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:06 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
It would be a good idea for you to avoid this forum completely, then, since talking about reducing pollution and awareness of the environment is the whole point of this forum.

Coming here and bashing "tree huggers" is akin to going on the Vegitarian forum and telling everyone they need to eat bacon. It's not only a violation of the premise of the forum, it's also a violation of the special rules that apply.

Here are ours. Bashing the principles of sustainability and the people who adhere to them is not a "respectful" discussion.
Attention Posters: Restricted Topics

Old 11-29-2014, 11:08 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I wonder how much energy the California Consumer Energy Center uses in a year. Perhaps if we stuffed all of the pundits there into a large refrigerator, they would use less energy than by allowing them out in public.
You know, this isn't a bad idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living