Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:09 AM

338 posts, read 421,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Taking an hour stroll on the Internet makes me feel like I live under my parents' roof again!"
Not sure about the Internet as a whole, but the World Wide Web really started giving me that impression by about 2003 or so!

Quote:
"I'll warm 'em up."
Ah, kay. Though wrapping them in fleece before putting them in the freezer might also help. ;o)

Last edited by ratchetjaw; 11-29-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 03:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
The extra fridge (not frig) we have means we don't have to go to the grocery store as often. We save money by buying things on sale and stocking up. We freeze milk, cheese and lots of fresh produce from the farmers market. We save gas and wear and tear on the car and we eat out less often cause we always have ingredients on hand. It also means in the summer when the kids are playing outside they just reach into the garage fridge for a cold drink or popsicle and they don't open the door to the house as often. its all win win for us.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Ha ha! I have 3 sliding glass patio doors in my house.

Guess I may as well just stop recycling, turn up the thermostat in the winter, and should probably just throw away all my plastic bags instead of reusing them.
Just make sure you carry a house key outside. We had one, but used a rod to keep it secure. Went out with the rod next to it, look back and the cat is playing with it and it... falls in place. Had no key. Mom had to break the bathroom window and I climbed in to open the door. We kept keys on us after that.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:48 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Most of the posters here have missed the point, which is not about how much electricity you can afford to pay for.

It's about considering the environmental costs associated with your choices. Fossil fuel powered electrical plants generate carbon pollution, and using less electricity means less pollution is generated. That's the real point.

Many people are simply not aware that refrigerators over about 7 years old use more energy than modern designs do, and nearly empty "beer fridges" waste the most.

And it's a common-sense consideration. Sure, if you live in the boonies and keep a second fridge full because it saves trips to the city to shop, then that's a reasonable justification.

Since the incandescent light bulb situation was brought up, hoarding them was truly a case of missing the point. They are the cheapest to buy but the most expensive to operate. LED lamps use 1/10 the electricity. And as I pointed out earlier, that means LEDs are not only cheaper overall, but are responsible for only 1/10 the carbon pollution. Individually it's no big deal, but collectively it adds up to quite a lot.

That's the point.
But what if your frig is seven or older and you simply can't afford to replace it. That is a LOT of people. If I had an older one which ran reliably I'd keep it over a new one which seems to die so much quicker. As a matter of fact, the one I have which is 'efficent' and has been serviced within the first year probably won't make it but I'll look for an older refirb. Partly because I'm tired of appliance which go belly up in a few years and partly because I can afford a refirb, NOT a new one.

The simple fact is people can buy what they can afford, and if the washer or frig or ? is working it stays until it dies.

And as winter arrives, I need a nice warm incandescent light to sit under the sink and keep the stupid plastic pipes from freezing. I like the new ones, but they won't do that. I need to find a package. Items in a house have often got multiple uses and new versions don't replace old ones.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:58 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Just make sure you carry a house key outside. We had one, but used a rod to keep it secure. Went out with the rod next to it, look back and the cat is playing with it and it... falls in place. Had no key. Mom had to break the bathroom window and I climbed in to open the door. We kept keys on us after that.
Oh those rascals! I have the locks with the codes on my other doors, so luckily, I do not have to remember a key...just the codes!

Old 11-29-2014, 08:14 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
I have three fridges as the second one is always too full.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:15 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Having the Washington Post tell me it's a bad idea makes me feel like buying a third fridge.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
He would do better filling it with jugs of water. Paper doesn't retain its temperature well. Water, once frozen, would go much further in assisting the freezer with not needing to run.
The papers are not a good idea and the water is even worse. Any idea how much energy it takes to cool down that water? Unless you are actually going to use the frozen jug for something you're wasting money. What you are trying to achieve when filling a fridge/freezer is preventing a large volume of cold air spilling out when you open the door. The best thing you can use is empty jugs because it requires very little energy to cool the air down.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Guess we should all turn off our computers now and shut off rooms not in. LOL

Old 11-29-2014, 11:29 PM

723 posts, read 868,168 times
How about not having that extra kid? Abortion is green and you rarely hear that being promoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living