U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:06 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,049,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Do you realize that there's less oil in the ground every second, and it's a one-time energy source?
Do you realize that technology is making it possible to unlock oil & gas reserves that were once considered unrecoverable?

Also, do you realize that a process called hydrothermal liquefaction allows scientists to convert a batch of algae into crude oil in 30 minutes' time? Green Oil: Scientists Turn Algae Into Petroleum In 30 Minutes - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,504,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Do you realize that technology is making it possible to unlock oil & gas reserves that were once considered unrecoverable?
Sure it is, but we should leave as much of that in the ground as possible. Unlocking more oil reserves translates into unlocking more carbon pollution, when we really need to be going in the opposite direction.

According to the latest UN IPCC report, we need to reduce carbon pollution by 40 to 70% by 2050, and eliminate it completely by the end of the century, in order to avoid the 2 degree centigrade global temperature change that is estimated to cause irreversible damage to our environment.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...e-environment/

Last edited by OpenD; 12-22-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,815,999 times
The UN had better start figuring out what they're going to do with a about a billion refugees because if anyone thinks the oil producing countries are going to transition away from their primary sources of revenue its time to wake up from the dream.

If that is even tried, carbon pollution will be the last thing anyone needs to be worried about. There is an entire 3rd world out there that will use oil for energy and all the countries that produce it willing to sell it to them, including the USA.

Sure, lets go tell them they can't and see what happens. 2050 is a mere 35 years from now. In that time somehow the entire 3rd world is going to find the wealth to eliminate completely (since they are adding right now and just getting started) their use of oil? Since the 3rd world is just emerging into the age where their energy requirements are going to skyrocket, not only would any increases in the use of oil from this point have to be eliminated but that is added to the 40-70% reduction if everything remained the same as today.

Just when do all the social fixes begin, before or after the big leap to that 40-70% reduction? Is there a single world government part of this plan too or are all the countries on the African Continent, India, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and Russia just going to go along with this idea?

Sure, tell the Russians that they need to buy Evs from the US and Japan or Korea. Good luck. Tell the Saudis that the deadline for their form of government will cease to exist by 2050 and their entire country by the end of the century.

Does the UN have any of the answers or just directives and deadlines? While they are at it, make sure they have tea with the Chinese so they can break the news to them too because they aren't going to be able to get oil after 2050.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 PM

208 posts, read 279,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The UN had better start figuring out what they're going to do with a about a billion refugees because if anyone thinks the oil producing countries are going to transition away from their primary sources of revenue its time to wake up from the dream.

If that is even tried, carbon pollution will be the last thing anyone needs to be worried about. There is an entire 3rd world out there that will use oil for energy and all the countries that produce it willing to sell it to them, including the USA.

Sure, lets go tell them they can't and see what happens. 2050 is a mere 35 years from now. In that time somehow the entire 3rd world is going to find the wealth to eliminate completely (since they are adding right now and just getting started) their use of oil? Since the 3rd world is just emerging into the age where their energy requirements are going to skyrocket, not only would any increases in the use of oil from this point have to be eliminated but that is added to the 40-70% reduction if everything remained the same as today.

Just when do all the social fixes begin, before or after the big leap to that 40-70% reduction? Is there a single world government part of this plan too or are all the countries on the African Continent, India, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and Russia just going to go along with this idea?

Sure, tell the Russians that they need to buy Evs from the US and Japan or Korea. Good luck. Tell the Saudis that the deadline for their form of government will cease to exist by 2050 and their entire country by the end of the century.

Does the UN have any of the answers or just directives and deadlines? While they are at it, make sure they have tea with the Chinese so they can break the news to them too because they aren't going to be able to get oil after 2050.
Excellent !
Try telling most Americans the UN rules.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:50 AM

4,914 posts, read 4,021,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
People have been sitting and idling long before smart phones were ever invented, long before cell phones were invented. These items as some posters have stated, have nothing to do with each other.
Truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
And FYI, a person can charge their phone without the car running.
My car's engine must be running to charge my phone. I found that out a few summers ago when we had a power outage due to storms and my cell was almost dead. I plugged it into my car. Checked on it in hour or so, and nothing had happened. I had to start the engine to charge it. No biggie. I don't do it much. Usually I am driving somewhere anyway if I need to charge it in the car.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:49 PM

24,509 posts, read 35,289,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post

Also, do you realize that a process called hydrothermal liquefaction allows scientists to convert a batch of algae into crude oil in 30 minutes' time? Green Oil: Scientists Turn Algae Into Petroleum In 30 Minutes - Forbes
That technology isn't cheap. At oil's current price-point, it's not even practical.

Scientists can do a lot of things. They can even generate power from nuclear fusion. There's a big difference between what scientists are doing and what the industry is doing.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 35,289,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My car's engine must be running to charge my phone. I found that out a few summers ago when we had a power outage due to storms and my cell was almost dead. I plugged it into my car. Checked on it in hour or so, and nothing had happened. I had to start the engine to charge it. No biggie. I don't do it much. Usually I am driving somewhere anyway if I need to charge it in the car.
I had a post earlier in this thread with a better solution to this.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:41 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,021,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I had a post earlier in this thread with a better solution to this.
This one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If it bothers you, there are alternative options.

1. A simply line to the battery will allow you to draw power even while the car is off. You can pull from either the small battery or the large prius battery. The small battery is 12v while the large one is 244v... so manage your power transformation properly. Also, don't plug anything bigger than a phone or laptop into the batteries with the car off.... you don't want to kill the battery.

2. Get a battery backup charger like the one linked below. You can charge your smartphone phone 8-10 times on a single charge. A bonus with this device is that you can charge your phone while you are out and about... you aren't tied to your car.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-High-Cap...attery+charger

I don't drive a Prius.

I had one of those portable chargers once. Never worked well. It would get EXTREMELY hot, never held much of a charge, and generally did not work as promised. Waste of money, IME.

So I will continue with what WORKS for me, thanks.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:42 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,243,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, good grief ... Now we have the Idling Police after us.
Yea....just for his sake he says nothing to me if I'm idling; he won't like the answer.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 PM

981 posts, read 1,963,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Despite the wasted fuel, I'd rather have people sit idling their engine while texting rather than driving while doing the same.

Texting and Driving Statistics
Those are somewhat separate issues, but I get the point. I just think AGW (which idling needlessly contributes to) is also a major "safety" hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living