U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,730,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Just for starters:

Destroying Golden Rice. (they had no right, it wasn't theirs to destroy)
Destroying coral reefs and claiming to help save them
Destroying GM wheat

the list goes on, searching for it is quite easy.

And BTW, the Peruvian government is pursuing ...wait of it...FELONY charges against Greenpeace because ...wait ...the damage they caused will remain for a very long time.

Perhaps learning a bit about the fragile environment they tromped on might provide a different perspective other than they simply walked on some place walked on long ago.

Oh the hypocrisy of the environmental group that seems to care only for it's agenda than the environments it uses for its own purposes.

Do tell, if Greenpeace decided to use the landscaping of your neighbors, maybe tromping footprints all over say, some newly planted whatever, just what do you think the neighbor might do if they caught them in the act? Another use for a always handy 2x4 which being both natural and renewable, would serve the environment just as well.
You know I don't really advocate for the left. I am anti right. And this is a beautiful example. Though he is right on one of the three. Two Australian women did chop down the GM wheat and Greenpeace paid $280,000 in damages.

But one and two are flat lies and OP knows it.

I would think this whole thread needs to move to P&OC. The sort of lying going on here is better handled there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 PM

24,509 posts, read 35,320,646 times
This is a shame. Sure, microscopic compared to the damage oil has done to nature, but still a shame.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:36 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,940,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Here are a few Greenpeace stunts. Which ones do you find evil?

Greenpeace climbs the Shard in London
Big Ben scaled
Whale freighter interrupted
scaled the London Treasury building
An aerostatic Greenpeace balloon was seen next to the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza
scaled the City Hall building in Mexico City
placed a large banner on a rail bridge at the entrance to Jerusalem
free bio-diesel to motorists in Edinburgh in 2001
And if that was all they did, then they would get my support but it isn't... So some good deeds just cancel out all of the bad things that they do?

I know a lot of politicians that got caught with their pants down/hands in the cookie jar and/or with dope that would love the way you think.

Can GP change their tune, yep.... But apparently that isn't on the agenda at the moment.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:28 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,251,292 times
Quote:
The lettering is an overlay of plastic. It does not stay or do anything bad to the underlying structure. Are you missing that?

They get a picture and then pick it up.

The argument in Peru is that they walked on the desert near the hummingbird. That drove rocks into the desert mantle disturbing the smoothness and leaving foot prints behind. The issue is whether or not you can just brush that out and wait a few years and all is as it was.

I have no problem with a little bit of politically motivated disturbance...particularly if clever. Destruction is totally unacceptable. So there is the issue. What actually happened here?

YOU JUST DON"T GET IT, DO YOU?

If Greenpeace pooped in your morning cheerios you would say it was ok and for a good cause.

I give up. Typical, so long as it is a so-called environmental group they can do NO wrong.

Have a nice life. I need to burn some more oil....,

Old 12-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
YOU JUST DON"T GET IT, DO YOU?

If Greenpeace pooped in your morning cheerios you would say it was ok and for a good cause.

I give up. Typical, so long as it is a so-called environmental group they can do NO wrong.

Have a nice life. I need to burn some more oil....,
More of the standard right wing tactics. Attack a made up straw man.

You have no idea what I believe. In fact in this thread I expressed disapproval of the stunt involved.

That Greenpeace is successful at message delivery by their use of publicity stunts is not of itself evil.

My personal views of Greenpeace tend to be issue specific. For instance I think they are way wrong on GMO and have been unable to sort out their views on nuclear power.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,829,402 times
Quote:
Snip

That Greenpeace is successful at message delivery by their use of publicity stunts is not of itself evil.

My personal views of Greenpeace tend to be issue specific. For instance I think they are way wrong on GMO and have been unable to sort out their views on nuclear power.

Your approach, it is a bit to think of Greenpeace as issue specific since it is an organization, not a bunch of individuals all doing their own thing. They have a centralized directive, organization leaders and structure. If that approach is used, then the person who repeatedly murders but has otherwise lives a good life isn't defined by the fact they took another life and snuffed an individual from living but the good things they did. The degrees of damage can be argued but nevertheless, picking and choosing don't align themselves with responsibility attributed to Greenpeace.

When an organization violates its own principles, the good it might have done (which is subjective) is diminished. It would be one thing if the issue was the only time they've destroyed something but it isn't. They have shown a pattern of doing such things.

As for not being evil, I don't think that was in my OP. Somehow that got injected into the thread as did the idea of the damage not being a felony. Where did that come from?

If the methods used destroy or damage something, then the publicity stunt being the method is indeed destructive. Likewise, if (for example) a publicity stunt resulted in evil, then so was the stunt. Separating one from the other is simply the ends justifying the means.

If the ends justify the means, then the next ocean vessel that Greenpeace encounters would be justified in thrown a next over the Greenpeace vessel and dragging it until it sank.

If the ends justify the means, then the Peruvian government would be justified with putting any Greenpeace member they can find in prison for life so that they couldn't do it again. It cuts both ways.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You know I don't really advocate for the left. I am anti right. And this is a beautiful example. Though he is right on one of the three. Two Australian women did chop down the GM wheat and Greenpeace paid $280,000 in damages.

But one and two are flat lies and OP knows it.

I would think this whole thread needs to move to P&OC. The sort of lying going on here is better handled there.
Greenpeace paid $280,000 for something they did not do?

To be clear, no one brought up politics until you did in another post by claiming to be anti-right.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Greenpeace paid $280,000 for something they did not do?

To be clear, no one brought up politics until you did in another post by claiming to be anti-right.
It hurts your feelings when I agree with you?

You lied out right about the other two items which show no signs of Greenpeace involvement.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
It hurts your feelings when I agree with you?

You lied out right about the other two items which show no signs of Greenpeace involvement.
Greenpeace destroys GM wheat - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

You were saying? (2 down one to go but find it yourself, it is easy)

Before saying someone lied, at least conduct yourself honestly and do some DD.

"Greenpeace protesters have broken into a CSIRO experimental farm in Canberra to destroy a crop of genetically modified wheat." and:

"Greenpeace says it has taken action because of concerns over health, cross-contamination and the secrecy surrounding the experiments."

From the cited source. Care to apologize yet?

Old 12-27-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Greenpeace destroys GM wheat - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

You were saying?

Before saying someone lied, at least conduct yourself honestly and do some DD.

"Greenpeace protesters have broken into a CSIRO experimental farm in Canberra to destroy a crop of genetically modified wheat." From the cited source.
Yes that is the one I agree with. You lied about the other two. Want to try again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or