Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 01:32 AM

566 posts, read 592,701 times

Advertisements

I'd like to compare the price of having a modest sized green home built compared to buying an existing home in the NorthEast.

Anyone out there have any input to new construction? How to keep costs below the real estate market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
hi countryswan

I think in Vermont you can find builders who build very green and will build spec homes to sell. You may find some in Maine, New Hampshire, Mass. etc.

The main increase in cost in a "green" home is triple pane windows , additional insulation and ventilation required on a super tight home which will get too stale/humid if you do not properly ventilate it.

Speaking very very very generally, the additional cost on a modest sized home around 1800sq ft is probably $25,000-35000 for triple pane windows, double wall insulation (R43) and a heat recovery ventilator.

On a house like this, you may save $1000-$2000 a year in utilities so you can see, the added cost will certainly pay off in the life of the home but takes some time. There is also an increase in comfort in these homes.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:59 PM

Great answer! An ah-ha moment. Thanks Joe

Old 11-19-2015, 01:20 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
hi countryswan

I think in Vermont you can find builders who build very green and will build spec homes to sell. You may find some in Maine, New Hampshire, Mass. etc.

The main increase in cost in a "green" home is triple pane windows , additional insulation and ventilation required on a super tight home which will get too stale/humid if you do not properly ventilate it.

Speaking very very very generally, the additional cost on a modest sized home around 1800sq ft is probably $25,000-35000 for triple pane windows, double wall insulation (R43) and a heat recovery ventilator.

On a house like this, you may save $1000-$2000 a year in utilities so you can see, the added cost will certainly pay off in the life of the home but takes some time. There is also an increase in comfort in these homes.
Since you would likely be financing this in your main mortgage assume a 3% mortgage you would be paying about $750-1000 per year in additional tax deductible mortgage payments and save $1000-2000 in after tax utility payments.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Now I am really paying attention. I didn't know that. I don't think many people do either.

That's encouraging.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:50 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
I'd like to compare the price of having a modest sized green home built compared to buying an existing home in the NorthEast.

Anyone out there have any input to new construction? How to keep costs below the real estate market?
We started construction of our home in 2005. We moved in with much of it still in progress. We have then continued the rest of the projects to get us off-grid and net-zero. We did not have the funds to do everything up front.

Building a new house for 50% of the real estate market is easy.

Quote:
... The main increase in cost in a "green" home is triple pane windows , additional insulation and ventilation required on a super tight home which will get too stale/humid if you do not properly ventilate it.
Some items are lower priced when you select a size that is mass produced.

We selected 6'wide by 3'tall triple-pane argon-filled windows at $115 a piece, they are mass produced so they are cheap. As compared to more common sized windows. Our windows are marketed as 6'tall by 3'wide sliding door replacement doors.

One builder quoted us a 'Heat-Recovery Ventilation' system at $8,000. We asked around and found poor reviews. We went instead with a whole house exhaust fan for $40.

We finally made it to Solar-Power this past summer, we hope to finish Solar-Thermal heat next year.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
What brand of windows are those ? $115 sounds very reasonable for triple pane.

The HRV system we got was about $3500 but i think that is still pricey. However i think it makes sense in a very tightly constructed house to keep humidity under control in winter months.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
What brand of windows are those ? $115 sounds very reasonable for triple pane.

The HRV system we got was about $3500 but i think that is still pricey. However i think it makes sense in a very tightly constructed house to keep humidity under control in winter months.
'American Craftsman'

Every tight house needs a system to move air in and out, to control moisture.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:10 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
'American Craftsman'

Every tight house needs a system to move air in and out, to control moisture.

But a whole house exhaust fan will not do that. It simply exhausts and relies on leakage for supply. Not very efficient.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
But a whole house exhaust fan will not do that. It simply exhausts and relies on leakage for supply. Not very efficient.
There comes a point of diminishing returns with every energy saving system.

In terms of getting a big 'bang for the buck', our radiant heated floor and thermal-bank have had a huge effect to lower winter heating costs.

We spoke with home owners who had Heat-Recovery systems, they said that after a year or two they rarely turn them on. Because in reality they simply do very little. Those systems make a lot of sense on paper.

Our home was too-tight at first. We had too much humidity and began seeing mold. Which is rare in a home with wood heat.

You need something to keep humidity under control in winter months, and our whole house exhaust fan does the trick.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living