U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,066 times

Advertisements

I don't want a house with asbestos or other toxic/synthetic crap....so I'd build my very small house for something like 30-50K from materials I know to be clean, instead of buying older big house on the cheaper side, then deal with asbestos. Been there, never again.

Not sure how one is going to "make money" by building a big house (what another poster said)? I'm not a builder and don't build houses for sale, so certainly not trying to "make money". One thing I won't lose as much to taxes with small house. Plus, I consider bigger house a waste for me, been there done that, never walking into any of the rooms, just extra roof and foundation to worry about. Houses branded as "tiny house" are usually very overepriced, per square foot -- but there're many alternatives to build something very small, it doesn't have to be branded. And it can be meeting the codes, unless the jurisdiction has outlandish requirements.

Last edited by siberia_; 03-05-2015 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Tiny houses are not really legal anywhere. Code enforcement could sweep all of them up tomorrow if they saw fit. There is always a minimum square footage for livable structures, and they don't even come close to meeting fire code. Unless you can change these laws, tiny homes are doomed to be just another fad. Comparing them to mobile homes is like apples and oranges. Modern mobile homes are rigorously tested, most of them are 1000-1200 square feet (single wides) and meet modern fire code. They are built to be safe homes. Tiny homes are a neat idea for certain people, but in the end "the system" will bring about their end. How many middle class families will not call the code officer in their county when two 25 year old hippies move their tiny home in next door??? That tiny home wont be there long.
I am not aware of "safe" mobile homes out there. Unless someone considers breathing formaldehyde to be "safe".

As to the neighbors calling the code... I guess such "hippies" (except some of them might be 40-something engineers making much more than envious neighbors) would chose an area where they'd be either out of sight out of mind or a location which wouldn't be stuck up in their middle-classeness (which they'll probably have to say bye-bye to, soon...due to political climate). The neighbors must sure own up-to-the code house themselves and enjoy the inspector coming for tea.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
When push comes to shove most Americans can't cut it in small home. They need their stuff their 60 inch plus TV screen. Four guest rooms an over sized living room a three car garage, etc. Most Americans are just too spoiled to make the change & stick to it. It's like asking them to give up their over sized truck/SUV. It's not going to happen. They can't understand that they don't need these thing but they do want them they feel entitled to them. Small homes might be a cool quest house or a retreat but in the end they will crave their bigger homes, the easy answer to someone feeling a bit stir crazy.. step outside.
I lived in a 12 sq. ft tent for a while -- happiest time of my life, wouldn't change for anything.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 AM

242 posts, read 287,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberia_ View Post
As to the neighbors calling the code... >snip< The neighbors must sure own up-to-the code house themselves and enjoy the inspector coming for tea.
If you are insinuating that folks who are required to meet code should call and report that their neighbor's house may not meet code/etc....keep in mind that having tea or coffee with the Inspector is no threat to the neighbor. Whether the neighbors house is within current code doesn't matter as long as they are not involved in the construction on or remodeling of said home. It isn't as if the Building Inspector is out looking at EXISTING homes for code violations...their job is to ensure that NEW homes are to code or that older homes being remodeled are to code.

That is my understanding anyway...and the way I've seen it work here in CO. The Building Inspector I am dealing with drives by a trailer park to get to my place and EVERY trailer there has a makeshift "entry" built in front of the front door (for the cold/snow)...all of which are add-ons and none of which meet code. Needless to say, he isn't stopping, having tea, looking around.... and making them meet codes.

Yet..my place is required to be built like a brick shathouse... LOL.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 AM

30,671 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
If you are insinuating that folks who are required to meet code should call and report that their neighbor's house may not meet code/etc....keep in mind that having tea or coffee with the Inspector is no threat to the neighbor. Whether the neighbors house is within current code doesn't matter as long as they are not involved in the construction on or remodeling of said home. It isn't as if the Building Inspector is out looking at EXISTING homes for code violations...their job is to ensure that NEW homes are to code or that older homes being remodeled are to code.

That is my understanding anyway...and the way I've seen it work here in CO. The Building Inspector I am dealing with drives by a trailer park to get to my place and EVERY trailer there has a makeshift "entry" built in front of the front door (for the cold/snow)...all of which are add-ons and none of which meet code. Needless to say, he isn't stopping, having tea, looking around.... and making them meet codes.

Yet..my place is required to be built like a brick shathouse... LOL.
I have owned homes in cities where we had to get a 'Certificate of Occupancy' every so often [like every 5 years, maybe?]

A Building Inspector, Fire Marshal, and Housing Inspector each had to walk through our building. There was no construction going on before-during, nor even planned for after these visits.

The worse home inspection we had was in a building 120 years old. No where near new construction. Every time those idiots walked through, we were given a list of things that had to be changed. Rip-out this, move that, completely change another thing. We learned to never allow them to be in the building at the same time. They each have different code books, and their codes contradict each other.

That was also in a neighborhood, where homeowners loved to rat on their neighbors, and get inspectors to be walking around in other's backyards and peeking through windows.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:50 PM

9,870 posts, read 8,158,454 times
I live in a mobile home built in 1998 that has exterior measurements of 14 feet by 48 feet and has two bedrooms and one bath. The living room & kitchen are open to each other divided by a snack bar and carpet/flooring. The spare rom is 8 feet by 8 feet. The master bedroom is about 11 feet by 12 feet. The bathroom is about 4 to 5 feet wide and 8 feet long. Because I take care of my home, people assume my home is only around 5 years old. I bought it used in 2002 deciding I was going to live the rest of my life alone and this home was a good size for a single guy. Two years later I met the lady who would become my wife. She's tiny (4'10") so she doesn't take up much space. Her dad's health was deteriorating partially due to age. We moved him into the spare room so we could watch and care for him before he died at age 86. Wife decided it was time to move him in with us when she went to check on him on summer and he had turned off the AC and had turned on the space heaters. We live in south Louisiana and it was over 90 degrees outside. Since he passed away, our highest electric bill has been around $120. Our home is all electric and there is no shade from the sun. To increase my energy saving when I bought the home I installed heat reflective window tint Heat Control Energy Saving Window Film & Tint - DIY | Gila Films , solar screens Our Products - Exterior - Sun Control , solar curtains Solar Curtain | Household - Problem Solvers | HarrietCarter.com , CFL bulbs, cleaned my AC coils, adjusted water heater to 120 degrees, installed low flow shower head, and used a refrigerator thermometer to properly adjust the refrigerator thermostat to the lowest energy food safe temperature. Wife keeps the thermostat at 69 in heat and 73 in cool because of her medical problems. We went further and when we replaced our old standard definition tube TVs, we replaced them with LED TVs. As our CFL bulbs go out, we're replacing them with LED bulbs.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 AM

242 posts, read 287,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have owned homes in cities where we had to get a 'Certificate of Occupancy' every so often [like every 5 years, maybe?]
Like I said...I've never seen anything like that happen here. My house was built pre-codes as far as I know, and additions have been completed without permits before I bought it....like a metal roof that was put on in a weekend. There's a house being built across the road and the County boys have been there many times...gotta believe they see what else is going on but nobody around here is reporting any involvement/problems/etc. For sure no one is requiring additional CO's. Those are ONLY done on completion of a home here as far as I know. After that, they have no real jurisdiction and they can't force code changes simply because the code changes.

Even so...and back to the topic at hand...tiny homes won't fly here/will not receive a CO here 'cus they are too small. Most counties here in CO require 600-700 sq ft minimum....and most Building Inspectors/county folks are wise to the whole "we'll just leave the wheels on it and the county can't say anything/etc." BS. Sure thing. Good luck with that.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM

44 posts, read 32,546 times
Thanks, interesting infographic.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:06 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Unless Daniel has moved, he couldn't be more wrong. Just drive down McIntyre off Spring Hill and you'll see them. That area was subdivided in 25' lots, older homes were built on 2 lots together, but the newer rental homes are narrow and small so the lots didn't have to be resubdivided.

Our City follows the International Residential code. Which allows a house under 200 sf if you lay the bathroom out carefully. Well even if you don't as the habitable room needs to measure only 120 sf.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 AM

902 posts, read 909,886 times
I have a really big feeling that this fad will be just that... a fun fad that people in 50 years will laugh about and go "wasn't that a cute time in old 2015-2020? Aw." Saving the earth seems like a losing battle, too. This isn't to say that I don't think tiny houses are great. How about tiny cars? Or tiny restaurants? Or tiny office buildings? Or tiny cities?

I can't see this being a long lasting thing. Sorry if I'm repeating what other's have said, just felt like throwing my two cents in about tiny houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living