U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:51 AM

14,310 posts, read 9,061,711 times

Advertisements

When push comes to shove most Americans can't cut it in small home. They need their stuff their 60 inch plus TV screen. Four guest rooms an over sized living room a three car garage, etc. Most Americans are just too spoiled to make the change & stick to it. It's like asking them to give up their over sized truck/SUV. It's not going to happen. They can't understand that they don't need these thing but they do want them they feel entitled to them. Small homes might be a cool quest house or a retreat but in the end they will crave their bigger homes, the easy answer to someone feeling a bit stir crazy.. step outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
I would recommend at least 800 sq ft. I live in a 550 sq ft house, with one other person, and more then a few cats, it is really miserable due to the smallness. As of just a few minutes ago I just scrapped open my elbow.

We live in a 500 sq. ft. apt now & it's great! Beautiful front porch with a swing on it. Our bedroom closet could be a bit bigger though. Like someone else just said it's the layout of the place you would be surprised just how nice they can be. Oh, & the one we like is 2 bedroom 1 bath, with a tub in it. Yes, we want a loft in it & a porch which would go around the whole house. We spent more times outside anyhow even in the winters unless it's just bitterly bone chilling cold.

I put up a picture of the floor plan below. My mistake the place is 510sq. ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Why tiny houses can save the earth! (Info graphic)-our-home.jpg  

Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 AM

1,245 posts, read 756,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We live in a 500 sq. ft. apt now & it's great! Beautiful front porch with a swing on it. Our bedroom closet could be a bit bigger though. Like someone else just said it's the layout of the place you would be surprised just how nice they can be. Oh, & the one we like is 2 bedroom 1 bath, with a tub in it. Yes, we want a loft in it & a porch which would go around the whole house. We spent more times outside anyhow even in the winters unless it's just bitterly bone chilling cold.

Looks good. I agree it is all about the layout. I like that the living room kitchen is open concept according to the floor plan. My next place won't be even close to 500 Sq ft. I would go for 800 to 1000.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:24 PM

2,114 posts, read 3,860,191 times
Quote:
When push comes to shove most Americans can't cut it in small home. They need their stuff their 60 inch plus TV screen. Four guest rooms an over sized living room a three car garage, etc. Most Americans are just too spoiled to make the change & stick to it. It's like asking them to give up their over sized truck/SUV. It's not going to happen. They can't understand that they don't need these thing but they do want them they feel entitled to them. Small homes might be a cool quest house or a retreat but in the end they will crave their bigger homes, the easy answer to someone feeling a bit stir crazy.. step outside.
Quote:

Your place is almost 3x the size of an average tiny home. Is it only people with homes larger than yours that are wasteful Americans?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,059,837 times
Quote:

Nope, no way that would work for me. First, to get to the only bathroom, I'd have to go into the kitchen.
Second, where do you store things? Winter things...boots, jackets. Luggage. No entry closet? Where do jackets and shoes and rain boots go? Where is the Christmas decor stored? Very little counter space. Next to no kitchen storage. Where do you keep the blender, stand mixer, big roasting pans? No pantry? No laundry room? No space for cats or a dog.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Your place is almost 3x the size of an average tiny home. Is it only people with homes larger than yours that are wasteful Americans?

Yes, it is bigger then most at the same time it's still much smaller then an average home.
We don't see the point in having a 2,500 sq. Ft. home or bigger. I never used the word wasted I said spoiled.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Nope, no way that would work for me. First, to get to the only bathroom, I'd have to go into the kitchen.
Second, where do you store things? Winter things...boots, jackets. Luggage. No entry closet? Where do jackets and shoes and rain boots go? Where is the Christmas decor stored? Very little counter space. Next to no kitchen storage. Where do you keep the blender, stand mixer, big roasting pans? No pantry? No laundry room? No space for cats or a dog.

You create space & a place for those things, again it's not for everyone I will easily admit to that.
Swap out your winter clothes when summer comes. You can have a storage shed to put your Christmas decorations in. There is always a way it sounds like you cook a lot so you would have to find what would work for you. You make your own floor plan & your own space.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:55 AM

16,945 posts, read 22,257,781 times
With a free standing cabin/small house that size, you can always have a cellar or an attic space for storage. Personally I prefer the idea of more outdoor space (undeveloped land around me) over more house. Even where it gets cold I get outside all winter. You have to no matter how big your house is to avoid cabin fever.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
With a free standing cabin/small house that size, you can always have a cellar or an attic space for storage. Personally I prefer the idea of more outdoor space (undeveloped land around me) over more house. Even where it gets cold I get outside all winter. You have to no matter how big your house is to avoid cabin fever.

It's interesting that you mentioned that. Outdoor space is very important & if you watch some videos on tiny homes you'll see that many people have a great outdoor space.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,059,837 times
Quote:
It's interesting that you mentioned that. Outdoor space is very important & if you watch some videos on tiny homes you'll see that many people have a great outdoor space.
Well, you'd HAVE to if you did not want to go CRAZZZZZY in such a tight space. I'd be certifiably insane if I had to stay in such a space. Heck, a hotel room drives me nuts if I am in there too long. LET ME OUT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living