Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 AM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times

Advertisements

Tiny House
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 12:51 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
There's lots of folks on our island living off grid. They build small houses or cabins off in the forest and kinda scrabble around getting by as they can. Their difficulties are:

1. Transportation since there isn't much public transportation and many of the less expensive properties are on rock or gravel roads that are fairly far from supplies.
2. Employment - partly exacerbated by their lack of transportation, but there also aren't a whole lot of jobs in the area. However the living expenses are low, so they don't need to make much if they don't spend much.
3. Location - most everything they need is a drive away. Food, fuel, social interaction, the bank, the library, whatever, most of it isn't within walking distance.

They are in less expensive areas and there is quite a bit of theft in the area, so that's a concern too. Not a lot of violence, but a lot of stuff being stolen.

There isn't a lot of soil, although there is generally adequate rainfall. So folks can grow things, but they are in an entirely different type of climate and soil (or the lack thereof) conditions than they are probably used to. That equates to a huge learning curve in order to grow food.

Property taxes are pretty low, but they are still there. Building codes are in place so little houses should be built to code (2006 IBC for residences) which will increase construction costs somewhat. But, whether it's to code or not, many of the expenses will remain the same. Clearing the land and putting in a gravel driveway is gonna be the same, there's no code for that. Probably about $3K - $5K for a rough driveway and house clearing area with a load of gravel spread on the driveway area. If you clear over a quarter acre or so, you're supposed to get a grading and grubbing permit, which isn't expensive but most folks don't clear that much.

Putting in a cesspool/septic tank should be done and that's not terribly expensive, probably less than $10K to have a plumber come in and do it. Which is required that the plumbing and electrical work be done by licensed folks, but since it's a tiny house, the costs of plumbing and wiring the house won't be terribly high. You could probably get the rough in plumber to install a toilet on the cesspool cover or over one of the septic tank outlet pipes as part of the cesspool/septic installation. Then put a tiny shed around the toilet and you've got "indoor" plumbing while you are building your little house.

Water is usually by catchment of rainwater although there are places along the road where you can fill up jugs of water for drinking. Electricity is usually by solar panels with a battery bank and generator backup although you have to secure the generator or it will walk off. A fence and a dog will go a long way to securing your property.

There are acre to three acre sized lots for usually less than $20K available although check the lava flow zones and maps and don't buy any land in front of the lava flow. Right now there's a lot of really attractive prices down slope of the current lava flow. It's hard to tell if the lava is gonna go that far or not, but it's better to be up slope of Pu'u O'o. (That's the source of the lava).

If you happen to have some sort of non-employment related income or some at home business that doesn't require access to clients, living off grid on this island could be a very good thing. There's plenty of water, you won't freeze to death and once you get the fruit trees and garden established, your food bills will be fairly low. Land taxes if you are on agriculturally zoned land is low and if you can manage to actually do some agriculture, it's even lower.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:10 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Been considering the "tiny house on wheels" thing for a few months now myself.
Not really due to environmental concerns or anything of that nature.

But mainly due to the fact that I'm not finding any one place I'm content with remaining permanently/"swearing some sort of allegiance to".
Pulling the thing along with my pickup truck and renting a space in trailer/rv park with hookups is fine with me regardless of the "space rent vs. apartment cost" thing.
In the end, I don't have to worry about packing things into boxes if the place I moved to happens to be a bust and I must leave before I go mad.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:44 PM

177 posts, read 121,037 times
I built a very small cabin on 10 acres in forest.

It was okay for a while. Cheap. But a LOT of work (taking care of mowing, downed trees, ice storms, unwanted critters, etc.) and finding (reliable knowledgeable) help is difficult. Most people are far too busy taking care of their own property to have time or inclination to do more.

When you are 2 hours from good medical care, and you are getting older, things change. Driving 2 hours every single time you need to see more than a nurse practitioner, etc. gets old pretty quick. And scary. esp. when you get snake bit, or something like that.

It was also 30 miles round trip from anywhere to buy groceries, etc.

Yes, peaceful. Yes, I even put a clawfoot bathtub outside (it was very private) and enjoyed the woods, wildlife, etc.

But there is no work, and it's too far to drive to a job, and medical care, and groceries, etc.

And much worse.....you do lose *social connection* in every way.....including online....... because most rural areas in the US have TERRIBLE internet service. And it is quite expensive (satellite). I also was unable to get much of a cell phone signal so it's not fun using one.

So, I sold it and joined the world again. When I started I was in my 40s. In your 60s, your ability to take care of things, and be remote, becomes problematic. 15 years and then I had to give it up. Chopping firewood, etc. is not as easy as it once was, etc. LOL

Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM

423 posts, read 288,900 times
^^^My place is everything he said^^^ and I love it. I moved there to get away from people. Its across from two Wildernesses and up against 5 adjoining National Forests- total- 11,780 square miles. I have my horse to ride on the forest roads and trails. I am a healthy 64 years of age and am not about to to arrange my life to live near medical care like I am old when I am not old. I go to the nearest fishing village library to use the library internet for free and drive 80 mile round trip through beautiful country to go shopping about once a month for supplies. Its great.

This home is two portable buildings I had custom made and put together. One building is 20'x10' and there is a porch the same size. Up against the side of the porch is the 8'x10' 'utility building'. Its the bathroom and wash room with indoor plumbing. The kitchen is on the porch. There is also a matching 2 stall barn. Water is from a spring. I would not want a mobile tiny house. That is just a glorified travel trailer IMO.

Cost for the place-
$20,000 for three buildings delivered and set up
$26,000 road, septic and utilities
$75,000 land (everything is paid for)

Last edited by BlackberryMerlot; 03-13-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-26-2018, 10:39 PM

177 posts, read 121,037 times
That "he" is a she. And I was a healthy 64 year old......until I wasn't.

Just sayin'.

The tiny house I want is not to be mobile. I want it on a foundation. A real house.........just a very small one.

My cabin was built with a "real" foundation, poured footings, etc. And 2x6 construction, not 2x4s. No way I want to live in AR with straight winds and tornadoes and not be on a foundation. That's just me.

Doing so, as a result, certainly improved the value of my property though.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 AM

12 posts, read 4,907 times
I have been considering the same thing, unfortunately something has to pay the rent, therefore have been considering working from home, my thought is you should stick with it, doesn't have to come true tomorrow but in the next few years. Thumbs up.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:33 AM

423 posts, read 288,900 times
This is what I had built out of portable buildings and a 200 sq ft porch built on. I have a 2 stall barn to match.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:05 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Hi,

Well, I've been watching those documentaries again, mainly on organizing and downsizing, and I've again become interested in saving up and buying land in a rural area, moving a small trailer, cabin, or shed to the area, decorating it to my liking, hooking up plumbing and electricity (preferably off-grid solar), living rent-free, and saving most of what I make.

I'm having a little trouble implementing this idea, though. For one thing, unrestricted land in this area is hard to find, and the cost of commuting back and forth may make up for any savings I gain from living rent-free. I kind of want some help brainstorming. Off-grid living fascinates me, and I really think it is my lifestyle of choice because it is very doable.

Look around for a mobile home for sale, that is already on a private lot. There are often quite a few available in many areas. One that is outside any city limits would be best, unless it's on a street that's already paved and has a sewer connection. Make sure it doesn't have future liabilities, like an ancient plumbing or electrical system or a septic tank that you might be required to remove and connect to a sewer. It should have a dependable supply of clean and safe water.

There are some rural communities of mobile or modular homes, on individually-owned lots. I found a gem of a place like that, with river frontage. But, there was an antiquated water system, run by an out-of-town private company. that bought its water from a nearby town's utility district. The city utility would not take it over, as it didn't want the expense of improving it. It was also outside of any fire-protection district. That and the nearby river, greatly increased insurance costs. There was no public bus service, closer than one mile. So I looked elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living