U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:42 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,454,525 times

Advertisements

The op is gonna freeze his you know what off in that thing.

People build off the grid all the time in Hawaii and New Mexico. Much easier in Hawaii, as heating and cooling are not needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:14 PM

30,648 posts, read 49,319,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

People build off the grid all the time in Hawaii and New Mexico. Much easier in Hawaii, as heating and cooling are not needed.
People do it all the time here in Maine, and in Wyoming, Alaska, etc.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:30 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,220,713 times
A good woodstove can keep an insulated structure very warm.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:28 PM

7,238 posts, read 6,435,487 times
I agree you should be able to experiment and build what you want as long as its advertised as not being to code when you try to sell. Sell it as is. I'd love to build a dome home but I own a home and work a full time job and don't feel like rocking the boat. Codes are their mostly for sheeple buying contractor garbage to make sure home doesn't burn down or fall over.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:04 PM

2,822 posts, read 2,728,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

The first pics were of a greenhouse dome before I actually lived in it. If you click on my link to the other thread on the last post of page 3, you'd see I built a bigger dome (~ 1100 square feet) and covered it with 6+ inches of closed cell spray foam. It has a half of a mile worth of steel piping as the frame as well. It's currently 80 degrees inside here and -20 degrees outside. It's dropped down to -40 a few times and I had no problem maintaining the inside temperature at 80 using only a wood stove.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:06 PM

2,822 posts, read 2,728,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I agree you should be able to experiment and build what you want as long as its advertised as not being to code when you try to sell. Sell it as is. I'd love to build a dome home but I own a home and work a full time job and don't feel like rocking the boat. Codes are their mostly for sheeple buying contractor garbage to make sure home doesn't burn down or fall over.
Yes, I have no intention of ever selling my land. If I do, I wouldn't be looking for any value in my structures. Don't understand why this is illegal in many rural areas.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:07 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,495,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
The first pics were of a greenhouse dome before I actually lived in it. If you click on my link to the other thread on the last post of page 3, you'd see I built a bigger dome (~ 1100 square feet) and covered it with 6+ inches of closed cell spray foam. It has a half of a mile worth of steel piping as the frame as well. It's currently 80 degrees inside here and -20 degrees outside. It's dropped down to -40 a few times and I had no problem maintaining the inside temperature at 80 using only a wood stove.
who wants it that hot inside a house (80 ) ?

Old 12-24-2016, 08:30 AM

3,567 posts, read 1,756,814 times
Folks still have a shred of faith in governmental institutions? There may be no codes or relaxed codes today. Then the code guy gets fired/quits/retired and big government does what big government does......wreck lives.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 8 days ago)

9,788 posts, read 21,094,891 times
I had a college class that dealt with green living and zoning codes. You have to be in a very rural county in a less regulated state to build how you want to. I have a cousin in a remote part of Kentucky that lives off the grid in a house made of stone salvaged from a driver in theatre that was torn down and she's never been hassled. But many counties even in Kentucky required huge roads for fire trucks and high minimum requires for electric and water hookup.

I think the solution to affordable housing is ending all these over the top zoning and building codes for single family units. Think it's unsafe? Don't buy it. Current laws basically ban the building of green affordable housing, forcing poor people into lead filled old homes or mobile homes which are death traps in high winds.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 1,112 times
Yes, I am getting ready for my move to the lower 48 to live in the desert. I plan on to moving about the spring of 2019. And yes, there is land with no building codes in the USA. Desert land you can find for $400.00 dollars an acre. I havn't found any in the northeast, however there is land in Arizona and southwest Texas. I'm sure there are other places I my self have been focusing on these two states. Finding some place in the north is getting harder to find. I myself don't know of any state in the north that has non-buildings code land. I would love to find some, at this time I havn't found any. I'm gearing up and should be ready for my move by the spring of 2019. Feel free ta ask any questions you may have. North
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living