U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:15 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,629,691 times

Advertisements

I looked at so called organic milk in a local grocery store, the sell by date was over a month away. So how organic can it really be ? I know the raw milk I get lasts maybe a week before it starts turning cheesy. Also the organic milk in question was ultra-pasteurized which of course destroys all the good stuff so then they have to add more stuff to bring it up to nutritional standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 06:35 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,941,768 times
Last I checked, and this could have been fixed. There are no standards in how a product can be labeled "Organic". So you have to read the fine print.

Chocolate milk can have sugar and/or artificial sweetners in it.

I have gotten almond milk at times and I check to see what is in it, but that is mainly because some of us in the household have food sensitivities. One of the reasons we drink almond and not soy.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:09 PM

51,641 posts, read 41,596,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The difficulty is that the people who get sick from raw milk are often young children. Hemolytic uremic syndrome from E. coli O157:H7 is devastating.

E.coli (Escherichia coli) | E.coli | CDC

Would you do away with all laws designed to decrease the chance that tainted food makes its way into our stores? There is no way to absolutely guarantee that we will never be exposed to food borne illness, but some things are risky enough to be rigidly controlled. Raw milk is one of them, and there are no benefits from it to justify giving it to a child. You might as well feed him raw hamburger.
I just can't get that excited about protecting people from their own choices.

If they want raw milk, dirt bikes, in-ground swimming pools (a big killer) then fine with me.

Your comment about doing away with food protection laws for the GENERAL PUBLIC not making a conscious choice is an illogical argument that I thus reject.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I looked at so called organic milk in a local grocery store, the sell by date was over a month away. So how organic can it really be ? I know the raw milk I get lasts maybe a week before it starts turning cheesy. Also the organic milk in question was ultra-pasteurized which of course destroys all the good stuff so then they have to add more stuff to bring it up to nutritional standards.
Big money to be made labeling things organic or pesticide free blah blah blah.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM

23,270 posts, read 28,068,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Ultra high temp pasteurization sterilizes the milk. That is why it has a longer shelf life and does not need to be refrigerated.

All the heat process does is kill bacteria. They do not have to "add more stuff to bring it up to nutritional standards." Vitamin D may be added but that is because milk itself does not naturally have high levels. Once it is on the shelf, it might lose some nutritional value, but that would be trivial assuming the milk is not the sole thing in a person's diet.

Why does organic milk last so much longer than regular milk? - Scientific American

Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 PM

23,270 posts, read 28,068,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I just can't get that excited about protecting people from their own choices.

If they want raw milk, dirt bikes, in-ground swimming pools (a big killer) then fine with me.

Your comment about doing away with food protection laws for the GENERAL PUBLIC not making a conscious choice is an illogical argument that I thus reject.
How are laws concerning food handling in restaurants fundamentally different from laws concerning raw milk? Does the general public not make a conscious decision to eat in a restaurant?

Unfortunately people want to feed raw milk to toddlers. Get back to me when two year old kids start making their own food choices.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine809 View Post
People drank raw milk for 1000's of years before pasteurization, etc. It's all about money...
People went 1000's of years without anti-biotics or dental care too.

Average life expectancy was about 40.

The "all about the money" argument is a cheap cop-out to a more complex problem.

Big ag doesn't give a poop about raw milk anymore than Miller brewing is worried about home beer brewing.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How are laws concerning food handling in restaurants fundamentally different from laws concerning raw milk? Does the general public not make a conscious decision to eat in a restaurant?

Unfortunately people want to feed raw milk to toddlers. Get back to me when two year old kids start making their own food choices.
Again, an irrational, emotional post.

*sob* But WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!!! *sob*

Old 02-25-2015, 08:02 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,097,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Again, an irrational, emotional post.

*sob* But WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!!! *sob*
Agreed. The "do it for the children" is just about the weakest, laziest argument there is. It has to be terrible going through life being petrified of everything, including things that only kill a handful of people every year.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Agreed. The "do it for the children" is just about the weakest, laziest argument there is. It has to be terrible going through life being petrified of everything, including things that only kill a handful of people every year.
Yeah, I wasn't going to waste my time explaining to someone being irrational how food safety laws applying to whats cooked out of sight back in the kitchen have zero to do with the risks accepted by people that knowingly drink raw milk.

Really, that's some horrid logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or