Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
In a free country raw milk would not be made illegal, nor the transportation or commerce of it. What kind of a government is this that "allows" us to have stuff?

Rights are innate. They are natural. Rights do not come *from* a government.

I don't drink raw milk, but it's none of my business if other people choose to.

It's also none of my business to dictate what others can buy and what others can sell. Besides, how do we even know people buying raw milk are using it to drink? What if it's for their animals? What if they want to dump it into the toilet? Who cares? It's no one else's business.
It becomes the business of us all when we have to pay for the aftermath of the illnesses from drinking raw milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It becomes the business of us all when we have to pay for the aftermath of the illnesses from drinking raw milk.
*shrug* that's a huge slippery slope.

Motorcycles, sky-diving, swimming.....I just don't see raw milk being too far up the scary list.

We just can't nerf-proof society.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*shrug* that's a huge slippery slope.

Motorcycles, sky-diving, swimming.....I just don't see raw milk being too far up the scary list.

We just can't nerf-proof society.
The difficulty is that the people who get sick from raw milk are often young children. Hemolytic uremic syndrome from E. coli O157:H7 is devastating.

E.coli (Escherichia coli) | E.coli | CDC

Would you do away with all laws designed to decrease the chance that tainted food makes its way into our stores? There is no way to absolutely guarantee that we will never be exposed to food borne illness, but some things are risky enough to be rigidly controlled. Raw milk is one of them, and there are no benefits from it to justify giving it to a child. You might as well feed him raw hamburger.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM

685 posts, read 720,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
In a free country raw milk would not be made illegal, nor the transportation or commerce of it. What kind of a government is this that "allows" us to have stuff?

Rights are innate. They are natural. Rights do not come *from* a government.

I don't drink raw milk, but it's none of my business if other people choose to.

It's also none of my business to dictate what others can buy and what others can sell. Besides, how do we even know people buying raw milk are using it to drink? What if it's for their animals? What if they want to dump it into the toilet? Who cares? It's no one else's business.
mapmd: I agree with you within limits of the law. Would you clarify what rights are innate? Being born seems intuitive enough but that's changing... Being able to be who I am but that comes with caveats. Drinking raw milk is my right (but that's not what I consider innate) as it would be to give it to my child. Flushing raw milk is also my right and then it becomes part of the water supply one way or another.

Keep your noses out of other people's business. That's often a theme here in many different threads. That's a good mantra.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Does raw milk taste significantly different from pasteurized and homogenized milk? I have never had it but I love milk so much that I would like to try it at least once to see if there is a difference.
I drank raw milk, yogurt,, cream, and ate raw milk cheese. Never got sick and it is worlds apart from the crap that they sell in the store.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:48 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If the customer is knowingly going to accept that risk it's up to them. Eating raw oysters has risks, eating undercooked meat has risks, eating spinach has risks... yet we do it all the time.
Let's carry this idea about "freedom and choice" just a bit further:

Would it be acceptable to you for a restaurant to post a sign for its customers saying: "This food may be spoiled. Eat it at your own risk".

Than, the restaurant goes on to violate all sanitary food regulations. Staff does not wash their hands. Food is left unrefrigerated. Uncooked or half cooked meat is frequently sold to customers. Dishes, pots, and pans are often left unwashed and used again.

The restaurant does this because it has an economic motive to do so. Serving food this way is cheaper and more profitable than abiding by health department regulations.

Let's take this further. Let's say ten people are hospitalized because of food poisoning due to salmonella.

Should the restaurant be able to keep doing what it is doing?

In essence, if you allow a farmer to sell raw milk to anyone seeking to buy it than it amounts to the same thing.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:58 PM

To those who say they grew up drinking raw milk with no problems, the dangerous e. coli bug has only been around for about 35 years:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/files/...debar-copy.gif

Modern medicine may prevent deaths, but some of these infections still cause severe illness and major morbidity:

Real Life Stories - The Dangers of Raw Milk - Real Raw Milk Facts

We are not talking about a little 24 hour bout of vomiting and diarrhea here.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:09 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I'm obviously going to disagree with you and we're both entitled to our opinions. I've seen the corruption in government and for the first part of my life, grew up in the old burbs of D.C. where a family member worked for the Dept. of Commerce, the IMF, the House of Economic Advisers, and the list goes on. I have my own reputable sources.

We do agree that good health is important and your path to good health will likely be different from mine. It doesn't negate what you believe and it doesn't negate what I believe. I don't know about the CDC but I do know enough of what the FDA and the SEC have done or maybe a better word is what they ignored.

My father was given 3-6 months to live when he was diagnosed with a late stage neck and throat cancer. He took time to look at different approaches. He used a combination of Western and Eastern medicines with the knowledge of his oncologist and lived @9.5 years longer. Coincidence? Maybe. It also doesn't work for everybody.
Interesting about your father. My father-in-law was forced to retire from his orthopedic surgery practice when he was 57 years old because of prostate cancer that advanced rapidly before it was diagnosed. He was given a year to live. In reality, he lived almost 17 more years before succumbing to another form of cancer just before his 74th birthday. Odd things can happen to individual patients. Sometimes a prognosis can be too bleak. Sometimes the patient responds better to treatment than expected. Sometimes the cancer is not as aggressive as one thinks.

Nevertheless, while interesting it really has nothing to do with the harm that can be caused by food tainted with disease.

The struggle in this country to achieve a safe food supply has been a long and more difficult one than people imagine. It all began in the early 1900's, during the Progressive Era of American history. Teddy Roosevelt was President and a man named Upton Sinclair wrote a classic book, The Jungle about horrific and unsanitary conditions in the meat packing industry. As a direct result of this book, TR proposed that Congress pass a law mandating inspection of foods by government inspectors to stop the sale of unsanitary food and beverages to the public. This law became known as the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1904.

There have been a number of situations where unpasteurized milk, raw milk, has lead to deaths and serious disease in this country.

MMS: Error (raw milk caused scarlet fever)

MMS: Error (unpasteurized milk caused q fever)

Remembering the Sad 1985 Listeriosis Outbreak | Food Safety News
(1985 outbreak of illness due to eating of listeria contaminated cheese, made from unpasteurized milk in the Los Angeles area---caused 28 deaths, including many very young children)

Some people are too young to get a choice. Some parents choose badly for their children.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has spoken out against the consumption of raw milk precisely because of the potential for the above-mentioned diseases.

AAP Policy Statement Against Consumption of Raw Milk Products by Pregnant Women and Children - NEJM Journal Watch

The AAP is not the government. Its a private professional organization of physicians. If you won't listen to your government, perhaps, you will heed the advice of physicians in private practice.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 AM

74 posts, read 98,717 times
It's strange..you aren't allowed to drink raw milk but in Colorado, you can smoke all the marijuana you want??

Old 02-25-2015, 12:06 AM

74 posts, read 98,717 times
People drank raw milk for 1000's of years before pasteurization, etc. It's all about money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living