U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:02 PM

8,882 posts, read 5,040,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Hello

I am hoping someone here has experience building an outhouse.

I want to make a simple and least costly outhouse.
Although, I don't just want a pit toilet.

why? serious why an outhouse, why not a simple septic system, some pvc pipe, couple gallon of water and a cheap toliet. why not have indoor plumbing, it be a hell lot cheaper than an outhouse.

why? serious, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,942,502 times
I always thought that having an outhouse was a real chitty idea over indoor plumbing myself.

Although, if you have to have a separate "bathroom" located outside of the main house - why not a really nice outhouse with psuedo running water? There have been some pretty amazing looking "outhouses" posted on the forum here. You'd have to search for it. Some have power and heat and you can get to them under an outdoor roof from the main part of the house...

It doesn't have to be something that looks like a port-o-potty...

Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 28 days ago)

17,988 posts, read 8,120,965 times
Personally, I like a nice outhouse with a view. Never need a plumber! And there are some really beautiful ones out there.

But the old fashioned hand-dug pit privy is not a good way to go. Too much chance of groundwater contamination, and while they don't have to stink, too many of them do.

OP, you don't say where you are, but you might check with your local permitting authority and ask about composting toilets. In my neck of the woods, more counties are permitting some kinds of composting toilets in certain situations. The classic on this is "the humanure handbook" which is a free download, and googling on these terms will bring up all kinds of ideas.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:16 AM

34,242 posts, read 41,253,416 times
If you are going to be digging the pit more than 3-4 ft have a buddy on hand just in case the whole thing caves in.
You may also want to explore local backhoe operators who may for a few bucks dig the hole for you. Or just rent one for a day from a tool/equipment rental place Example=http://www.alpharettaequipmentrental.com/

Last edited by jambo101; 03-01-2015 at 05:24 AM..

Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 AM

5,659 posts, read 2,699,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why? serious why an outhouse, why not a simple septic system, some pvc pipe, couple gallon of water and a cheap toliet. why not have indoor plumbing, it be a hell lot cheaper than an outhouse.

why? serious, why?
Because this property has no plumbing and no electricity, and no septic.
It is not my property to do that with.

I can put an outhouse on it though per owner.

I am just using property on occasion for the time being.

Did those answer all your "whys?"

Old 03-01-2015, 09:07 AM

5,659 posts, read 2,699,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post

why? serious, why?

I have not heard of this.
How does this work?

Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,104,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Because this property has no plumbing and no electricity, and no septic.
It is not my property to do that with.

I can put an outhouse on it though per owner.

I am just using property on occasion for the time being.

Did those answer all your "whys?"
That was my situation, owner/boss said I could put in a pit or septic system, but on my buck. At a price of $25,000 for a pressure mound system, that was too much, the incinolet and its house was affordable, portable and when I moved, I kept the house and still have it, sold the incinolet for what I paid for it, so broke even. No septic system is simple or affordable and if it is, it likely does not comply with safety or health codes. If you can carry in a composting toilette, you could do the same with an incinolet and small generator to power it, put them on a pallet and surround them with a privacy wall or screen, or put it on a small skid or cart an pull it to where you want it. I made a skid from 3 water ski's with their fins removed and a platform put on them that was 3 feet by 6 feet long. Our cabin was 750 down a trail, 200 feet down a hill side, the most weight I moved with that skid was 500 pounds. I dragged a propane refrigerator to that cabin and back out when we moved, used it to haul firewood from the woods that I would cut with a one man bowsaw, one strong man can move 500 pounds of firewood with a skid or cart, even up a hill. You could make a skid and put a composting toilette or incinolet on it and drag it in along with any supplies you need. If the owner will allow an outhouse, build one and put a solar operated composting toilette in it. No digging or digging a new pit when the old one reaches capacity, which when full should not reach above 6 feet from the surface, that is why they are dug deep. Otherwise you have to keep digging a new pit every 2 years. How many will be using this privy?

Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,294,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
When I first moved here to Humboldt county in 1992, I lived way back in the woods on acreage in an old cabin that had a pit privy. It has to be deep to last any time, like 12 feet and preferably a bucket for old ashes to sprinkle on the pit to keep odors and insects down. Typically they are between 3 and 4 feet wide when hand dug. I helped in digging a few and got to about 6 feet when it became too cramped for me and a smaller guy took over and he got to about 10 feet and stopped, it was his privy. It lasted them about 4 years, but they used it steady. We hired a local with a bachoe to dig us a pit privy, he hit rock in 3 feet and tried to get deeper and broke a tooth on his shovel. We were limited to an expensive pressure mound system that in 1996 was going to be more then $25,000, about half the value of the land we were on . I was reading a Popular Science and I read everything, including the ads and in the back saw an ad for a toilette called Incinolet that is powered off of electricity that runs an incinerator in its base. Four people generate about 8 cups of ashes in a week. We built a 4 foot by 8 foot house that had a generator in a 3 foot closet and a 4 x 5 room for the incinolet. And the incinolet and house cost less then $2,500. We were the first in Humboldt county to use the electric toilette and it has since been approved for situtions that we were in. It is real easy to build a small toilette house on a trailer that houses the incinolet and a small generator to supply the electricity, like an outhouse on wheels. Just a suggestion instead of digging a pit, which is not fun, but is an experience if you are young and strong. Makes you wonder how we survived before the flush toilette . Good luck if you dig the pit privy, it is exhausting work and dirty and best done with 2 people, three is better since someone has to pull the bucket of soild up and another dump it, the deeper you go, the longer it takes to go each foot.

Thanks a bunch Dragonslayer! I want to have "indoor plumbing" in my seasonal camp but not have to pay in the neighborhood of $5-10K for a septic system. This may be it!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:54 AM

7,098 posts, read 8,107,282 times
If you find the digging and building of the outhouse to be rather burdensome, you can try a "portable restroom", otherwise known as a "porta-potty". These are really nice, require no digging, easy to keep clean, and moveable if you leave the area and wish to set up elsewhere.

They are expensive as all heck to rent, so don't go that way. Buy one - you can get 'em new from China for $6-800. Better yet, see if you can find a used one. It's cheaper than many outhouses, a lot less work, and WAY cheaper than the commercial composting toilets. You can empty it out yourself, and compost the waste (but I wouldn't use it on the veggie garden for a few years).

BTW, if your town/county does not allow pit privies, they will probably allow portable restrooms.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 AM

34,242 posts, read 41,253,416 times
If residence at this locale is on a temporary basis you could use something like this with a privacy curtain installed.
Restop Commode Sanitation System

http://au.thepandacover.com/176-349-...hower-tent.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or