Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

Advertisements

Did you ever think about all the pollution that's being caused by low speed limits?

Just as an example; My car doesn't get out of second gear until above 30mph, then above 35mph to get out of third, the torque converter doesn't lock until above 50mph, and that's when I'm driving lethargically.
Just think of all those extra revs per mile being done, and all that extra friction wasting energy, making pollution, and wasting fuel.

I'm thinking pollution should be taken into consideration, when speed limits are planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Logic is not allowed.
STOP IT!!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
True, but far more pollution is caused by the lack of sufficient roads to handle the traffic. All of those cars idling at red lights and in freeway traffic jams are contributing far more smog than the low speed limits. Speed limits are supposedly set strictly on the basis of safety, without regard to pollution, however in many cases it's political, when people whine about cars zipping by their homes the city reduces the speed limit.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Did you ever think about all the pollution that's being caused by low speed limits?

Just as an example; My car doesn't get out of second gear until above 30mph, then above 35mph to get out of third, the torque converter doesn't lock until above 50mph, and that's when I'm driving lethargically.
Just think of all those extra revs per mile being done, and all that extra friction wasting energy, making pollution, and wasting fuel.

I'm thinking pollution should be taken into consideration, when speed limits are planned.
The solution to the problem you have is called a manual transmission. This solution has been around for a very long time.

For some it is inconvenient. Then the question is what you value more, inconvenience or saving fuel?

Another solution readily available to you is a car with an 8 speed automatic transmission. You old car will be recycled or reused, about 100%.

It isn't all that difficult.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The solution to the problem you have is called a manual transmission. This solution has been around for a very long time.

For some it is inconvenient. Then the question is what you value more, inconvenience or saving fuel?

Another solution readily available to you is a car with an 8 speed automatic transmission. You old car will be recycled or reused, about 100%.

It isn't all that difficult.
So your answer is to throw money at it, to solve a problem that's been engineered, just to make a problem.

I've got a manual, and that's why I have an automatic. Having the 8 speed won't solve the problem, the car will still stay in a low gear if that's where it wants to be for the speed.

You can only make an engine labour so far, before you start to do damage.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I like our Volt. No pollution when stopped at a light. It only has a one speed transmission in it to. it handles reverse and forward.

In certain circumstances I think you are correct in low speed limits and stop signs. I don't like round a bouts, even though they supposedly may traffic flow better.

8-speed transmission is so last year. The new thing is 10-speed automatics for non-ev drivetrain vehicles.

Ohh and my Volt gets better mileage the slower you go. But all cars have a sweet spot for mileage. Some are higher than others.

Now, my diesel truck... Idling in it stinks. And going over abut 55 you start to lose MPG. Although I can't really stand going 55 in a 65 for very long. I have to set cruise or I end up at 80...

I miss my manual cars - however - unless it is going to be a collector car at one point I won't buy one as the percentage of people that can drive them are going down and even those that can drive them prefer not to.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:36 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

As the speed increases so does the pressure from the air. As the air pressure increases so does the energy required to propel it forward. Low RPM's doesn't necessarily mean low fuel usage either.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-01-2015 at 01:44 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
There are way too many people who do not live close enough to where they work. Having millions of cars idling in rush hour traffic for hours on end every day is insane.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Wait... You want people to live CLOSE to where they work? I thought we already decided logic wasn't allowed here.

After years of a long commute to work and not really being able to live close to work as my employer kept changing my work assignment, I can tell you, I hated it. And they provided the car and gas to go to and from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living