U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2015, 10:20 PM
 
39,230 posts, read 40,610,623 times
Reputation: 16082

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
How much of our country are we going to dig up, contaminate, and destroy the land, for low quality oil?
And your alternative is what? The fact is the need for these products is not going away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2015, 12:24 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,197 posts, read 3,064,831 times
Reputation: 5892
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Fracking was done on a smaller scale early on. Massive hydraulic fracturing as it's referred only began in the 70's. Moreover, your argument is illogical. Just because something has been done for a while doesn't mean it's good.
Fracturing is not being blamed for earthquakes, disposal wells are.

The simple fact is that if disposal wells cause an increase in earthquakes, then the increase in earthquakes would've happened shortly after SWDs began operation.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Fracking could be why a lot of lakes are drying up also.......

Lets say you have 10 bowls, fill the top one with water, set off and explosion in the bottom bowl and the other 9 bowls crack and the water goes where? Same as fracking when you set off and explosion under ground, the lower level breaks up and the rest just kinda crack and sag and the water goes where???
FYI, a frac job doesn't involve explosions - it's fluid (water or gel) being pumped under very high pressure. Also, fracturing doesn't open up an entire formation, it only affects a small area surrounding the wellbore.


If the "bowl" hypothetical were true, then:
1. surface cracks would be visible
2. groundwater would leach down into the oil-bearing formations, and we'd be hearing about how the aquifers are drying up.
3. Rock quarries wouldn't be able to perform surface blasting as part of their operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 AM
 
Location: The Woods
16,936 posts, read 22,215,733 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And your alternative is what? The fact is the need for these products is not going away.
We need to realize as a country we have a big sustainability problem. The path we're headed down now leads to certain disaster eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 07:25 AM
 
39,230 posts, read 40,610,623 times
Reputation: 16082
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
We need to realize as a country we have a big sustainability problem.
I don't think that's an issue at all, clearly there is a huge amount resources available. For the rest of the world in particular Europe, China and India that is another matter.

Oil may be an issue but there is alternatives to that too, you can make diesel from coal. For that you can even use the low quality coal that is often waste or not mined at all. For that you can actually make electric and liquid fuel in co-gen facility greatly increasing effciency. The reason there has been no private investment is the same issue the oil fracking industry is facing with OPEC dumping product on the market.

Fossil fuels will go away but in the meantime there is plenty of supply to meet demands here in the US for a long, long time. The coal supply itself represents the single largest amount of fossil fuel energy held by any nation. What is known to exist and can be feasibly mined is about a 150 year supply adjusted for increased usage etc. That is a guaranteed supply with no questions asked, the unknown is most likely much more than that.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-27-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 03:39 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,936 posts, read 22,215,733 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think that's an issue at all, clearly there is a huge amount resources available. For the rest of the world in particular Europe, China and India that is another matter.

Oil may be an issue but there is alternatives to that too, you can make diesel from coal. For that you can even use the low quality coal that is often waste or not mined at all. For that you can actually make electric and liquid fuel in co-gen facility greatly increasing effciency. The reason there has been no private investment is the same issue the oil fracking industry is facing with OPEC dumping product on the market.

Fossil fuels will go away but in the meantime there is plenty of supply to meet demands here in the US for a long, long time. The coal supply itself represents the single largest amount of fossil fuel energy held by any nation. What is known to exist and can be feasibly mined is about a 150 year supply adjusted for increased usage etc. That is a guaranteed supply with no questions asked, the unknown is most likely much more than that.
There's not enough oil considering how much we use, how much the rest of the world uses, and what it would take to get all of it.

How many of our mountains would need to be blasted away to get all that coal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,197 posts, read 3,064,831 times
Reputation: 5892
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's not enough oil considering how much we use, how much the rest of the world uses, and what it would take to get all of it.

How many of our mountains would need to be blasted away to get all that coal?
Stop repeating empty talking points. If you've got some facts to back up your opinion, then let's hear 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 02:45 PM
 
208 posts, read 279,572 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's not enough oil considering how much we use, how much the rest of the world uses, and what it would take to get all of it.

How many of our mountains would need to be blasted away to get all that coal?
Most ridiculous post ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 04:36 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,936 posts, read 22,215,733 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
Most ridiculous post ever!
In what ways? Do you understand what it would require to extract all of the coal in Appalachia? All of the tar sands in the Midwest? We need to come up with real solutions to our problems not go down the path of destroying what we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 04:50 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,936 posts, read 22,215,733 times
Reputation: 9026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Stop repeating empty talking points. If you've got some facts to back up your opinion, then let's hear 'em.
U.S. Crude Oil, Natural Gas, and Natural Gas Liquids Proved Reserves

36.5 billion barrels proved reserves. U.S. consumption last year was 6.95 billion barrels.

How much oil is consumed in the United States? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Including other (unproved) sources, the best estimates are that we have 134 billion barrels total. That's a 20 year supply at current consumption rates if we attempted to use only our own oil.

http://www.boem.gov/uploadedFiles/20..._Factsheet.pdf

http://certmapper.cr.usgs.gov/data/n...summary_07.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2015, 05:00 PM
 
2,907 posts, read 3,029,405 times
Reputation: 8343
I'm assuming that fracking caused the earthquake on Mt. Everest too ? Or maybe it was global warming. Hard to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top