Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,157,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Houses can be constructed which don't have tall tall celings which take all the warm air.
In hot climates, high ceilings are almost a necessity to keep rooms from getting stuffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
put a system which creates a downward flow so the heat circulates
That's what ceiling fans are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 10:50 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,789,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Solar power is feasible here. I am not in the Southern half of the US, but instead in the Southern half of Maine. I am not using any subsidies.

The new Tesla battery pack is suggested to be on a 10-year lease. When amortized it's annual expense is not much better than any other battery-bank.

It is being discussed on Off-Grid forums. We were all eagerly awaiting the announcement. But for a 10-year battery, you can not own, that still requires certified installers, it may not be the battery bank we were hoping for.
Sold for $3500. 7 KWH for $3,000. Comeon it is all over the internet.

Powerwall | Tesla Motors

It does require skilled installation which I believe will be required for any system that interacts with the grid.

You heat with solar? In a conventionally built house? I don't believe it.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 AM

37,437 posts, read 61,329,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Sold for $3500. 7 KWH for $3,000. Comeon it is all over the internet.
Yes, as I said, it is on my off-grid power forums.

Quote:
... You heat with solar? In a conventionally built house? I don't believe it.
We currently heat with wood. 3 to 4 cords a winter.

Within 2 years will be be heating with Solar-Thermal.

Solar-Thermal heated homes do exist here.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, as I said, it is on my off-grid power forums.

We currently heat with wood. 3 to 4 cords a winter.

Within 2 years will be be heating with Solar-Thermal.

Solar-Thermal heated homes do exist here.
Do you read what you write? I quoted you saying the batteries must be leased. Not true.

Conventionally built homes? Please cite a source.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:10 PM

Hoping between this forum and another, over there the 'deal' is some much up-front and so much a month for the duration of the lease. Propitiatory technology no private ownership.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Hoping between this forum and another, over there the 'deal' is some much up-front and so much a month for the duration of the lease. Propitiatory technology no private ownership.
Again source? I quoted you Tesla. You have some one better?

There appears to be some monitoring by Tesla though it is not listed as mandatory nor is the charge discussed.

I would believe they are selling it so no it is not proprietary. Might get into the battle about the software in the system which is becoming an issue in a lot of stuff...the auto makes are trying to get their car systems covered as copyrighted software but hopefully won't succeed.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:37 PM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
...the auto makes are trying to get their car systems covered as copyrighted software but hopefully won't succeed.
It is copyrighted, the battle is to make it an exception. Matter of fact as I understand it they are seeking an exception to the DMCA which doesn't specifically address copyright but copy protection schemes.

Going completely off topic here but one good thing I did come across while researching that is after 2017 all cars will come common connector like a USB for diagnosing problems. The only question is the cost/availability of the software.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Again source?
Here you go:

Tesla's big April 30 battery announcement - Business Insider

Quote:
The system is offered, currently, in 10 and 15 kwh configurations to solar customers who do not own electric vehicles or plug-in hybrids; the battery pack costs about $13,000, and Pacific Gas & Electric offers a 50% rebate for using the system (presumably because it can be used to decrease load on the grid during peak use hours); financing is set up for the customer to make an initial $1,500 payment, followed by $15 monthly payments for 10 years (at the end of which the battery is returned to SolarCity) ...

Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:

That is simply speculation before the announcement and specs for the system that was used before the power wall.

Why not simply look at the actual Tesla announcement?

Powerwall | Tesla Motors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living