U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:21 AM

34,189 posts, read 41,138,091 times

Advertisements

Some deniers are so vacuous that they believe global warming cant be happening because there's snow in their back yards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 04:47 PM

2,778 posts, read 1,415,652 times
Good article... but as is usual with AGW stories, so very very depressing.

I often wonder if we'll ever even get to the point where this issue will be decisively acted upon. The bit about the incompatibility of climate change mitigation and democracy was especially terrifying... mostly because it makes fascism seem inevitable. I would guess that environmental catastrophes aren't necessarily good for democracy either... but then there's also the prospect of people being forced to choose between freedom and the future and choosing freedom.

Given some of the comments on this thread, I have to wonder if the reason that the official scientific statements on warming aren't as glum as they probably could be is because if they were, people wouldn't even be reachable anymore.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:17 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,436,319 times
What we know...

We do not know enough to build a global climate model that can accurately predict anything. Basing any decisions or government policy on them is pure folly at this point.

The biggest front men for pushing for law and policy changes based on global warming fears are heavily invested in the same. Anything they say is suspect.

There is a lot of money getting pushed into "proving" AGW. Scientist have a lot to gain by keeping the money train moving, its no surprise we are seeing cases of data fudging. Also we have rampant corruption in all other sectors from government, wall street, sports and to private companies so its no surprise its bleeding over into science.

Conclusion.....

You want to do your part to keep the air, water and land clean? Fine, so do I. No need to go crazy and run around spouting doomsday nonsense and demanding that we cut our own throats to stop a crack-pot theory. The people who are gonna pay the most for this nonsense is middle and lower class.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:54 AM

208 posts, read 279,024 times
Quote:
Conclusion.....

You want to do your part to keep the air, water and land clean? Fine, so do I. No need to go crazy and run around spouting doomsday nonsense and demanding that we cut our own throats to stop a crack-pot theory. The people who are gonna pay the most for this nonsense is middle and lower class.
Agree.
Just follow the money.
The ignorance of some is astounding!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 AM

3,926 posts, read 4,723,235 times
The IPCC models have shown more and more to be inaccurate. Actual temperatures, not the 'adjusted' temps released by NOAA, show zero warming since 1997. Sea levels have been shown to increase 1.3mm per year, the same rate as historically measured. Article ice has declined, but Antarctic ice levels are at record levels. This is a historical trend that the 'warmests' ignore. Of CO2 emissions, the great bulk are natural emissions, not man-made. Further as CO2 increases, historical data from ice cores show a decline in temps, not an increase.

Just the facts.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,299,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Did any of you actually READ the article?

Annuvin in particular sounds like the knee-jerk denier response of someone who hasn't looked at statistics. FYI, your personal experience of winter isn't indicative of the whole planet.
For once I'd like to see one of you hippie alarmists explain the Medieval Warming Period and the subsequent Little Ice Age that took place hundreds of years before the worldwide burning of hydrocarbons as a fuel source. Talk about ignoring statistics...

BTW: Using a term that (up until this global warming nonsense) was reserved for those who vehemently refused to recognize the Holocaust makes you sound like a typical knee jerk insensitive. Seriously, I'm not sure how offensive you can conduct yourself within the constraints of the forum's EULA, but I am sure you could probably manage if you tried really hard.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:24 PM

8,657 posts, read 7,607,881 times
1. the "tipping point" is just another theory intended to scare people to "do something" about global warming now.

2. There is no global warming. The Antarctic ice sheet continues to grow. The amount of Arctic sea ice increased dramatically this past year. The great lakes almost froze over the last 2 years, which usually did not happen. Everyone who lives in the north knows the winters have gotten colder, and winters are more like they were in the 60's. Texas even is much cooler now in the summer, fall comes earlier, and my cotton farmer friends are now saying that if the season gets any shorter, the season will to too short for cotton. That was never the case before. Global Warming? Get in touch with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or