Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:42 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,481,606 times

Advertisements

Cigarette butts are, by some counts, the world’s number one litter problem.

Butts represent the most numerous form of trash that volunteers collect from the world's beaches on the Ocean Conservancy’s cleanup days. More than two million cigarette parts were recently collected in a single year around the world—double the amount of both food containers and beverage containers.

Watch: Cigarette Butts, World's #1 Litter, Recycled as Park Benches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 06:35 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,225,625 times
Get rid of filters and go back to Camels, Lucky Strikes, Chesterfields, and Pall Malls, all filter-less and fully biodegradable.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,960,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Get rid of filters and go back to Camels, Lucky Strikes, Chesterfields, and Pall Malls, all filter-less and fully biodegradable.
That will help get rid of the smokers, too.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,903,005 times
What is very ironic about this is that many, if not most smokers want to be courteous about their smoking and not toss the butts. But the anti-smoking movement has gotten so overzealous with their stamping out smoking campaign that all the ashtrays and butt cans have been removed. In my city, a city where it is legal to smoke outside, and even indoors at bars in the city limits, I rarely see any ashtrays or butt cans ANYWHERE any more. The predictable result: discarded butts on the ground.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,486,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
That will help get rid of the smokers, too.
I can't tell whether you are for or against filterless cigs with that comment...

Old 05-11-2015, 04:46 PM

37,011 posts, read 41,057,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What is very ironic about this is that many, if not most smokers want to be courteous about their smoking and not toss the butts. But the anti-smoking movement has gotten so overzealous with their stamping out smoking campaign that all the ashtrays and butt cans have been removed. In my city, a city where it is legal to smoke outside, and even indoors at bars in the city limits, I rarely see any ashtrays or butt cans ANYWHERE any more. The predictable result: discarded butts on the ground.
How do you account for the smokers who empty their car ashtrays on the street or throw butts out the car window?

Dropping butts on the ground outdoors is just lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krYOMc_QBUo

The guy in the video could have torn the paper wrapper into tiny bits or put it into his pocket with the filter.

Visol Glaceau Pocket Ashtray

Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,758,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How do you account for the smokers who empty their car ashtrays on the street or throw butts out the car window?

Dropping butts on the ground outdoors is just lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krYOMc_QBUo

The guy in the video could have torn the paper wrapper into tiny bits or put it into his pocket with the filter.

Visol Glaceau Pocket Ashtray

The same thing applies to people who toss trash out their car windows.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,870,844 times
Way back when I smoked, I carried around an empty metal mint tin as my own portable ashtray. I would put out the cigarette on the bottom of my shoe, make sure nothing was on fire and put the butt in the tin and take it with me.

From what I see on the average day... most smokers have little interest in properly disposing of their butts.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:28 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,923,681 times
American Spirit cigarettes have filters made of 100% biodegradable cotton

Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 AM

526 posts, read 896,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I so agree! When I smoked, I tried to get a puff in whenever I could (didn't smoke in our cars). Regretfully, I didn't always have a container with me to dispose of butt. Butt cans shouldn't be right by doors, but something needs to be available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living