Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,626 times

Advertisements

Ive got a 2500 lumen led flashlight. It will throw a beam through your eyeballs and leave smoking holes in the back of your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 04:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
Does this mean we're going to have to go with those horrible new things that give off a dead white light that always reminds me of doctor's office waiting rooms? I'm going back to candles and kerosene lanterns in that case, I literally cannot tolerate that color of light, the spectrum has some direct effect on the depression and panic center of my brain.
I was hoping someone would bring up the horrible affect fluorescent lamps have on people.

I was taking a counselling course at a college. We were learning how important it is to set up the counselling environment to put clients at ease. The instructor had an incandescent lamp lit as she talked to us and we were all nodding and going along with what she was saying - we were getting it. She didn't say a word and flipped on the overhead fluorescent fixtures and *ZING* my nerves were instantly jangled. This was before LED's became available - I want to say it was in the late 80's. It would be interesting to try the same demo with LED's.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:55 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I was hoping someone would bring up the horrible affect fluorescent lamps have on people.

I was taking a counselling course at a college. We were learning how important it is to set up the counselling environment to put clients at ease. The instructor had an incandescent lamp lit as she talked to us and we were all nodding and going along with what she was saying - we were getting it. She didn't say a word and flipped on the overhead fluorescent fixtures and *ZING* my nerves were instantly jangled. This was before LED's became available - I want to say it was in the late 80's. It would be interesting to try the same demo with LED's.
The irritation with florescent bulbs is more associated with the imperceptible flicker than the color temperature.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Thanks to those who have provided helpful and useful information about LED bulbs that may fit my antique fixtures. I've purchased several that don't work, I will certainly look into this next trip to the hardware store.

Either that, or I'll buy LED bulbs for the fixtures where size and shape doesn't matter, and hoard all the incandescent bulbs that are in those fixtures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This is certainly not true. You might have to find different shades, but life is full of challenges. But nobody really cares if you want to keep using incandescent bulbs.
And apparently you don't care that you've missed the point. Again.

I'll buy bulbs off the black market before I'll get rid of beautiful lamps and fixtures that still function. Why contribute to today's throwaway society by trashing something that is still perfectly useful, not to mention more pleasing to the eye than modern fixtures?

Old 05-25-2015, 12:41 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
black market
No doubt some forward thinking folk are buying old school bulbs by the shipping containerfull. I know I'd pay anything for a bulb if the other option was that crazy-making flat white light that makes me feel like a bug in an experiment.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
And apparently you don't care that you've missed the point. Again.

I'll buy bulbs off the black market before I'll get rid of beautiful lamps and fixtures that still function. Why contribute to today's throwaway society by trashing something that is still perfectly useful, not to mention more pleasing to the eye than modern fixtures?
The reason to get rid of incandescent bulbs is that the are environmentally harmful. This is the "green forum" not the "I don't want to change" forum.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:39 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
The reason to get rid of incandescent bulbs is that the are environmentally harmful. This is the "green forum" not the "I don't want to change" forum.

Once again, you missed the point. How "green" is it to throw away a useful, decorative item in working condition, and purchase another?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Once again, you missed the point. How "green" is it to throw away a useful, decorative item in working condition, and purchase another?
It's very green if you stop to consider all the acid rain pollution and carbon dioxide emitted by Ohio utilities that supply the energy to your incandescent bulbs. In addition, an incandescent bulb only lasts about 1000-1500 hours. When it burns out replace it with an LED that will last 50,000 hours and use 1/6 the energy. Then you'll be a more responsible citizen and you'll save money.

How is that for a lesson? Learn anything?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:

ugh please, after all these years, NOW they discover they are harmful???? to what????

my father is 88 mother is 79, guess they werent harmed too much from the lightbulbs...

Old 05-27-2015, 03:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I just to moved to a new place and EVERY SINGLE LIGHT FIXTURE has incandescent light bulbs in them. This is annoying to me as I don't enjoy heating a living space with constant waste heat from inefficient bulbs in the year 2015. Therefore, I am going to have to go out and purchase some efficient bulbs for only the fixtures I use the most that do not act as a space heater and cause me to use the AC more.
Save them for the winter. That way, your heat bill won't be so bad then.

That's what I use my remaining supply of incandescent bulbs for... it's actually proven that switching to CFL's or LED's causes heaters to work overtime in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living