U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 03:41 PM

2,730 posts, read 2,071,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I see these threads a lot, and have to ask, Has Monsanto applied their Chemicals to anything? NO. They develop products that are asked for by farmers, then the farmers apply them. They do not have to, and sometimes apply them in concentrations way over than recommended. But everyone loves the farmers and hates Monsanto.

Kind of like blaming a gun manufacturer for every wacko that decides to shoot someone.

Disclaimer, I have no affiliation with Monsanto or any other manufacturer but spent a career in Agriculture processing and packaging. I dealt directly with Farmers for years.

I don't know how it goes on your place but our system let products to go in to markets before they really know what it does.

When just regular gardeners also go to garden shopping or order from the net, how many times they know or they have possibility to know what that stuff really is and what it does?

And yes, even monsanto is the main devil, every covernment and laws could be made by the way that products could not do any harm. Only safe products should be allowed to hit into markets generally.

But money talks once again and for the sad part money talks for regular farmers and families also.

Some people don't care environment at all but some people cannot choose expensive product over cheaper. Also covernments let them hang in loose row as long as they turn into moneys way.

Also food markets as food stores participate into this by keeping unnecessarily high prices to sell -organic- -natural- , clean- foodies. No, organic is not that much expensive what comes to real costs, it is just a company making extra money. Also black deep dealing with other money makers.

But nothing amazes me after this http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/bu...ests.html?_r=1

just think how it would be if monsanto would do same for the food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:14 PM

2,730 posts, read 2,071,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well duh, it is all about money; who ever stated otherwise?

However, Monsanto's move into organic is not about making money on organic and propping up that market, it is about shutting down that market to head off competition to their much more profitable GMO products. The term is "anti-competitive practice", in which the tactic "absorption" is being used.
I am afraid of this and I know our government is just as stupid to fall on this. Even there is many cases from the past from several companies which did this. But also money sadly rules them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
I think the term people are looking for here is "monopoly." That's what they're worried about. The concern is that Monsanto is attempting to monopolize the market for their own monetary gain, and they are using unfair and unscrupulous means to do so. Did I get that right?
And you would not be worried at all? What if you argue with a monsanto worker at train one day and that is last day in your life when you could eat? If someone has fantasy to rule other world by the food that is most cruelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Monsanto used to be here locally and now gone. There still is cleanup going on years after they left. They are in many foreign countries now as their job is grow it faster while to many they are threatening health of populations. To many around the globe just the word monsanto makes even the poorest of nations cringe and they have come up with their own common sense plans for growing that arent poisoning the people and land. Alot of programming on this subject. Some of the smartest people on the planet are those with no education just a boatload of common sense and one person to tell them how to do it.
And some people are gifted to say it never happened.. as leaders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
What does Monsanto and the food manufacturers have to hide?
Koch-backed law seeks to block GMO labeling | Environment | Wisconsin Gazette - Smart, independent and revealing. News, opinion and entertainment coverage

I'd like to know what I'm eating what about you?

Dr. Philip Regal, professor emeritus of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior at the University of Minnesota: "Over the last 15 years, I and other scientists have put the FDA on notice about the potential dangers of genetically modified foods. Instead of responsible regulation we have seen bureaucratic bungling and obfuscation that have left public health and the environment at risk."

Regal is a plaintiff in a suit brought by concerned scientists and consumers against the federal U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for failing to protect public health and provide consumers with relevant information about GM foods.

Before the FDA and USDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, their own scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases and nutritional problems. They urged long -term safety studies, but were ignored. Since then findings include:
1) Thousands of sheep, buffalo and goats in India died after grazing on GM cotton plants
2) Mice eating GM corn had fewer and smaller babies
3) More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks
4) Testicle cells of mice and rats on GM soy change significantly
5) By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies
6) Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity
7) Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK soon after GM soy was introduced
8) The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth a condition that may lead to cancer;
9) And studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels

Unlike safety evaluators for drugs, there are no human clinical trials of GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have their GM proteins produced continuously inside us.

I won't go on but if anyone is interested there is information. As for Monsanto in "organic", I surmise it would be like when Walt Disney extended their movie production realm to adult oriented productions via Touchstone Pictures and other corporate entities of various broadcast media.

These types of concentration on a public good (food supply) are not good. Sort of like letting banks become able to engage in all manner of financial activities... that one turned out real well didn't it?

Just some things to think about....
yeah but of course all that is just false and never happened, lol But also history shows that even they would admit the risks and how dangerous it is, they would allow it.

DDT was a case that "nobody knew what it would do" yet after they knew it was used another part on the world and still those eatable products brought in which were poisoned by DDT. Also workers were not warned etc. Just washing own hands so it would look better. And that is not enough, it still continues on exactly same way. Now it is roundup, if and when they deny it it will be something else. Because the markets, winning and money.. They have to get rich, right? No matter if people get sick and die, someone needs new boat and 200 million dollars

Same with removing factory from own country to another just to avoid environmental laws. It should be illegal! I don't buy much anymore because it is too hard to find out how much bad things they actually do meanwhile shining their covers. It takes weeks and sometimes months to follow what all happends before 1 product is on local shop. And all responsibility once again is left fo a customer. Instead product should have a list with how it show up and why it exist..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
God did a masterful job designing plants, animals and human beings and the entirety of the earth. When man tinkers with it, toxicity is almost assured when it comes to things we select as "nutritional consumables".

READ THE LABELS
and if they use too many 'big words", you probably should leave it on the shelf !!!!!
I don't believe in god but I know that nobody owns the food here. Nobody owns the planet here. Planet is and people are and it is free choice to eat what everyone sees it suitable for self.

It goes into insanity in that point when someone is seriously thinking he or she or them could own the wter of food on the planet. Or mess it so badly that people could not grow anything on it or eat anything wild.

What kind of people and countries let it happend? They try to make it look like it goes with laws but that is worse crime than slavery, that is genodice! And I am happy to see even some people are worried what could happend. I wish our covernment would see it too.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:47 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,023,051 times
Yes I am worried, Monsanto bought and paid for many of our supposed congresspersons way back when...

Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM

26,142 posts, read 18,850,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Not related to food but I have a weed problem in my driveway, in my old days I would buy some roundup to take care of it oh so conveniently. Instead I refuse to give Monsanto even a small amount of my dollars and am out there weeding by hand.
Monsanto's patent on glyphosate expired in 1991.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I wish you anti-GMO anti-Monsanto people would get your act together, NFN on one side of your mouths you proclaim (as in the article you posted) and out of the other side of your mouths (I posted this earlier in this thread)

It's hilarious your article doesn't mention a thing about Monsanto, breast cancer, Autism, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s, not one single mention of it... I assume that scientific research has still not become the norm in Argentina, I mean absolutely nothing could cause the symptoms experienced by this village other than the Monsanto crops...

Wow, just whom did I "slap around"? My "violent urges"? My criminal record over 6 (seis) decades is spotless BTW...

I highly suggest you lodge a complaint with the Mods over the violent emoticons they have here and how upset/disturbed you are concerning their usage...

I guess you know about a persons standpoint when you call someone a shill?

Why Calling Someone A Shill Betrays The Weakness Of Your Position, And Your Inability To Defend It. - Discussionist

Ummm, the URL you posted is over 2 (dos) years old and not from a source that anyone would consider to be very scientific or an accredited news source. The article your article cites? OOPSIES, doesn't exist...

Lumping together "all cancers, disabled kids etc." and placing their causes on GMO foods and Monsanto...

Love the anti-<whatever> crowd. Their mantra(s)?

-------> BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID <-------

-------> PREY ON PEOPLES FEARS <-------

-------> Ideology Trumps Science <-------
thankfully, at least one person on this thread didn't drink the kool-aide

Old 04-22-2016, 05:04 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,030,905 times
I haven't read thru this thread. Based on my previous experiences with this topic, I'm betting the arguments are emotion-backed and science-lacked as usual.

First my disclaimer: I use no Monsanto products. I own no Monsanto stock. I don't know anybody who works for Monsanto or owns any of their stock.

RE: GMO genes: they are naturally occurring genes that have been artificially moved to new species, like soybeans, corn & wheat. Those plants are wind pollinated so insects can't carry the pollen from one field to the next and the wind, shown by numerous experiments, only carries it ~25 ft max-- so no real danger of GMO "contaminating" non GMO crops, given reasonable precautions.* (The genes are out there in Nature anyways.) Use of Monsanto's GMO varieties only adds about $10 to the cost of raising an acre of crop-- an acre that will yield $600 profit- money well spent for the increased security of having a good harvest compared to non-GMO varieties. (GMO doesn't give you an improved yield in a good year, but it gives you a more consistent good yield from yr to yr.)

If you want to deal only with non-GMO products, that's your right. Go for it. But don't force your will on everyone else.

I don't know for sure what Monsanto is thinking, but it would seem more reasonable that they are buying up organic companies so they can expand their market to include organic growersrather than put them out of business. After all, if organic/heirloom seeds are no longer available, those growers may just go out of business rather than buy into GMOs.

Some of us are lucky and have the time, space and means to produce our own organic food. But those unfortunate urbanites and such can't. They have to rely on food produced by high yield industrial agriculture. Remember that producing more food on fewer acres means more natural habitat saved for Nature.

*Monsanto has won its property rights protection cases based on this science. Farmers sign an agreement when purchasing Monsanto's seeds not to save seeds and use them again-- very much like buying Microsoft Word for you new laptop- you can only put it on your own 2 or 3 computers. Farmers who have lost suits were found to have bought seed from the local elevator to plant (not allowed by the agreement) or saved their own seed to grow a second crop, based on the percentage of GMO plants found in the field-- high percentage expected from cheating,very low from inadvertent contamination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living