Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned. Monsanto's plan is to control what we eat. They give large quantities of money to governments so they can get their way. If all Americans united and fought Monsanto their plan would be defeated. The more I live the more I wish I had lived during the Western Frontier days (think Bonanza).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
I see these threads a lot, and have to ask, Has Monsanto applied their Chemicals to anything? NO. They develop products that are asked for by farmers, then the farmers apply them. They do not have to, and sometimes apply them in concentrations way over than recommended. But everyone loves the farmers and hates Monsanto.

Kind of like blaming a gun manufacturer for every wacko that decides to shoot someone.

Disclaimer, I have no affiliation with Monsanto or any other manufacturer but spent a career in Agriculture processing and packaging. I dealt directly with Farmers for years.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
I am worried.
Worried the anti-GMO idiots will prevent advances in food technology.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:21 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I am worried.

Why does Monsanto have to strong arm the farmers? Why is Monsanto shielded from lawsuits? Why does Monsanto pay millions and millions of dollars in lobbying? Why aren't they more transparent if their products are good and healthy for human consumption? The market should decide what WE want to eat and not be forced to eat what a company wants us to eat.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/mpa.asp

http://naturalsociety.com/sued-class...-false-claims/

Last edited by MountainBiking; 08-27-2015 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: added a link

Old 08-28-2015, 04:22 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Why does Monsanto have to strong arm the farmers? Why is Monsanto shielded from lawsuits? Why does Monsanto pay millions and millions of dollars in lobbying? Why aren't they more transparent if their products are good and healthy for human consumption? The market should decide what WE want to eat and not be forced to eat what a company wants us to eat.

snopes.com: Monsanto Protection Act

Major Lawsuit Targets Monsanto for Selling Cancer-Linked Herbicide | Natural Society
Name one major company that doesn't pay millions for lobbying. How much do the farming organizations spend?

GMOs are safe. AMA, AAAS, and many others say so.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
This is disturbing. Thank you for posting it. You might also post it in the Food forum.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
I am worried.
Of course, because there is nothing I like better than to eat food that was genetically modified to be able to accept and retain a larger dose of Roundup.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:02 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,117 times
I wonder if it would be illegal to develop round-up ready weeds and release them on your own property? Who knows where the birds and wind would spread them... the easiest way to make sure round-up isn't used would be to make it ineffective.

The only problem with that is the solution might be worse than the problem. There's no guarantee that whatever Monsanto develops as a replacement isn't 10 times worse than round-up.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Monsanto is evil, and yes their goal is to destroy organic markets so that they control the food supply.
Wish it would let me rep you and yes Monsanto is right up there with Josef Mengele's human experiments devision within the SS or the global banking and oil cartels.

Monsanto wants nothing less than the ability to control whether you (and 7 billion other people on the planet) eat or do not eat and to profit tremendously by making it so we can only eat what they have a hand in providing.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
I am worried.
I'm more worried about idiots who think for-profit multinational corporations (often with proven immoral track records) are a better food option for the world than hundreds of millions of years of natural evolution and diversification + 10,000 years or more of sustainable agriculture experiences world-wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living