U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 PM

5,227 posts, read 2,299,005 times

Advertisements

God did a masterful job designing plants, animals and human beings and the entirety of the earth. When man tinkers with it, toxicity is almost assured when it comes to things we select as "nutritional consumables".

READ THE LABELS
and if they use too many 'big words", you probably should leave it on the shelf !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:37 AM

5,902 posts, read 5,250,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
What does Monsanto and the food manufacturers have to hide?
Koch-backed law seeks to block GMO labeling | Environment | Wisconsin Gazette - Smart, independent and revealing. News, opinion and entertainment coverage

I'd like to know what I'm eating what about you?

Dr. Philip Regal, professor emeritus of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior at the University of Minnesota: "Over the last 15 years, I and other scientists have put the FDA on notice about the potential dangers of genetically modified foods. Instead of responsible regulation we have seen bureaucratic bungling and obfuscation that have left public health and the environment at risk."

Regal is a plaintiff in a suit brought by concerned scientists and consumers against the federal U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for failing to protect public health and provide consumers with relevant information about GM foods.

Before the FDA and USDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, their own scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases and nutritional problems. They urged long -term safety studies, but were ignored. Since then findings include:
1) Thousands of sheep, buffalo and goats in India died after grazing on GM cotton plants
2) Mice eating GM corn had fewer and smaller babies
3) More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks
4) Testicle cells of mice and rats on GM soy change significantly
5) By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies
6) Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity
7) Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK soon after GM soy was introduced
8) The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth a condition that may lead to cancer;
9) And studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels

Unlike safety evaluators for drugs, there are no human clinical trials of GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have their GM proteins produced continuously inside us.

I won't go on but if anyone is interested there is information. As for Monsanto in "organic", I surmise it would be like when Walt Disney extended their movie production realm to adult oriented productions via Touchstone Pictures and other corporate entities of various broadcast media.

These types of concentration on a public good (food supply) are not good. Sort of like letting banks become able to engage in all manner of financial activities... that one turned out real well didn't it?

Just some things to think about....

So you listen to blog but not the AMA? Anti GMO people are in the same category as anti vaccine people.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:47 AM

51,620 posts, read 41,586,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So you listen to blog but not the AMA? Anti GMO people are in the same category as anti vaccine people.
The war on science rumbles on like Noah riding on a brontosaurus.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:18 PM

2,962 posts, read 2,729,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I thought "Science" was about having as much knowledge as possible? How is requiring GMO based foods be labeled "Anti-Science", when many other countries do so? And US food manufacturers already label and change them frequently for merchandising purposes?

Seguing to a similar 'health' related industry since it provides a good corollary and "Thinkalot" wants to bash the blogger rather than findings....

Read: Side Effects: Death. Confessions of a Pharma-Insider by John Virapen. Virapen is a former managing director of Eli Lilly and Co. in Sweden. A brief excerpt:

"My boss told me, 'Do what you have to do' to get the drug (Prozac) approved. Finding the man responsible for the approval, and researching his background for clues on how to best approach him, they met at an Indian restaurant to discuss Virapen's proposal.

"He was laughing," Virapen said, "and I asked him, what are you laughing at?"
He told me, "This product is no good, it's a load of rubbish"

Around a month later, Virapen's target received a $25,000 check from Lilly, a bribe, plus a promise to do a 10-year study on the drug, "which meant millions for him".
"I had performed a criminal act. I was forced to use bribery to influence drug approval, even though I knew the drug would harm people."

In another transaction, in fifteen minutes, he got a $500,000 government contract to but insulin in exchange for a $10,000 computer system. This practice is part of the daily routine in the pharmaceutical industry, Virapen said.

He added his company would send Doctors and their wives on vacations or we'd give them new refrigerators - In America, I think they'd get swimming pools.

Over the course of his three decades of working in the pharmaceutical industry, Virapen said he only came across one person he couldn't bribe.

"The pharmaceutical industry's lobby is extremely powerful. It constantly lobbies politicians and the judiciary and even blackmails governments by threatening to withdraw investments or to close down sites, thus, creating unemployment in a country."

Do we need to wait until some Monsanto insider tells something, or can we simply get the GMO based products labeled appropriately so the consumer can readily differentiate and choose?

If the GMOs are so good for us why the secrecy and obfuscation?

This is the same corporate entity that had its lobbyists craft a bill to essentially absolve themselves of any liability for their product!

Monsanto Protection Act Resurrected to Grant Legal Immunity

I'd encourage people to read the following and draw your own conclusion on why labeling is being so vociferously opposed.
I Was a Paid Internet Shill: How Shadowy Groups Manipulate Internet Opinion and Debate : Conscious Life News

Monsanto Launches Smear Campaign Against Doctor Oz And The World Health Organization

https://coto2.wordpress.com/2010/09/...rop-saboteurs/

BREAKING: CDC whistleblower confesses to MMR vaccine research fraud in historic public statement - NaturalNews.com

Ask yourself if these actions seem those of a corporation with the consumer's best interests in mind or their 'stockholders'?

Their PR department or firms must spend more time fighting fires than some Financial Institutions.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I thought "Science" was about having as much knowledge as possible? How is requiring GMO based foods be labeled "Anti-Science", when many other countries do so? And US food manufacturers already label and change them frequently for merchandising purposes?

Seguing to a similar 'health' related industry since it provides a good corollary and "Thinkalot" wants to bash the blogger rather than findings....

Read: Side Effects: Death. Confessions of a Pharma-Insider by John Virapen. Virapen is a former managing director of Eli Lilly and Co. in Sweden. A brief excerpt:

"My boss told me, 'Do what you have to do' to get the drug (Prozac) approved. Finding the man responsible for the approval, and researching his background for clues on how to best approach him, they met at an Indian restaurant to discuss Virapen's proposal.

"He was laughing," Virapen said, "and I asked him, what are you laughing at?"
He told me, "This product is no good, it's a load of rubbish"

Around a month later, Virapen's target received a $25,000 check from Lilly, a bribe, plus a promise to do a 10-year study on the drug, "which meant millions for him".
"I had performed a criminal act. I was forced to use bribery to influence drug approval, even though I knew the drug would harm people."

In another transaction, in fifteen minutes, he got a $500,000 government contract to but insulin in exchange for a $10,000 computer system. This practice is part of the daily routine in the pharmaceutical industry, Virapen said.

He added his company would send Doctors and their wives on vacations or we'd give them new refrigerators - In America, I think they'd get swimming pools.

Over the course of his three decades of working in the pharmaceutical industry, Virapen said he only came across one person he couldn't bribe.

"The pharmaceutical industry's lobby is extremely powerful. It constantly lobbies politicians and the judiciary and even blackmails governments by threatening to withdraw investments or to close down sites, thus, creating unemployment in a country."

Do we need to wait until some Monsanto insider tells something, or can we simply get the GMO based products labeled appropriately so the consumer can readily differentiate and choose?

If the GMOs are so good for us why the secrecy and obfuscation?

This is the same corporate entity that had its lobbyists craft a bill to essentially absolve themselves of any liability for their product!

Monsanto Protection Act Resurrected to Grant Legal Immunity

I'd encourage people to read the following and draw your own conclusion on why labeling is being so vociferously opposed.
I Was a Paid Internet Shill: How Shadowy Groups Manipulate Internet Opinion and Debate : Conscious Life News

Monsanto Launches Smear Campaign Against Doctor Oz And The World Health Organization

https://coto2.wordpress.com/2010/09/...rop-saboteurs/

BREAKING: CDC whistleblower confesses to MMR vaccine research fraud in historic public statement - NaturalNews.com

Ask yourself if these actions seem those of a corporation with the consumer's best interests in mind or their 'stockholders'?

Their PR department or firms must spend more time fighting fires than some Financial Institutions.
Wow you swerve all over the place buddy, better get that Brontosaurus checked for alignment.

Especially loved the anti-vaxx stuff from naturalnews which is about as crackpotty as you can get.

The thread is about Monsanto trying to take over the organic market and you go on about paid internet shills? Vaccines?

What? No posts about lizard men and the fake moon landings....soooo disappointed by that.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:13 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,070,929 times
Quote:
Don't be an idiot, dude....

(you know Noah rode a velociraptor )

Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Don't be an idiot, dude....

(you know Noah rode a velociraptor )
Heretic!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:05 PM

4,659 posts, read 2,510,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It's called the "enlightened and educated" category.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:11 PM

77,913 posts, read 69,860,626 times
Quote:
They still are. Logically, you should question the persons claim rather than accept it from some anonymous internet person and then surmise that somehow the nefarious company is now monopoly-proof as well. lol.

What you have here is a classic case of media influence on perception.

Monsanto is to the left what the "liberal media" is to the right.
Well, how many other companies are there, that are selling GMO seeds? They certainly have a monopoly on those. And they're being very aggressive in other countries against farmers who stick with heirloom seeds/crops. Seems to me that what we have here is a classic case of the facts' influence on public perception.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:15 PM

77,913 posts, read 69,860,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Monsanto is awesome. Why would I be worried?
Right. They've got their guy, Jeffrey Sachs, Master Economist, pushing their products on the World at the UN, shilling GMO's as the global solution to poverty and hunger (and enabling Monsanto to sue traditional subsistence farmers when a Monsanto seed lands in their fields). What could go wrong?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-27-2015 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living