Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:41 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,144,924 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned about the number of villages that have seriously misplaced their idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:53 PM

77,744 posts, read 59,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"Destroy the organic market place", yes, that reason to do so would be for money. I fail to see why you think no one understands Monsanto's motive for what they are doing is for money. Destroying the organic competition is a great way to increase their profits, as it removes competition from their bread and butter. I already stated what this is, "anti-competitive practice", tactic is "absorbing".

This practice and tactic is not anything new, companies do this.

I apologize for the "duh", but it reads more severe than what I meant. But in any case, it is all about money, it is just you are viewing it from Monsanto wants to get in on the organic biz to promote it more, whereas I see this as just the typical absorption strategy. The end result of either view point is to make money.
Considering the passionate views on organic food in this forum and so forth, I don't think it's reasonable to think that Monsanto can win over those people by buying organic farms and converting them.

The people whom demand\prefer organic will be an unserved market and that would entice other farm operations to switch over to organic.

Lastly, Monsanto has a market capitalization of 45billion and revenues of about 15billion.

US Organic sales are around 40billion (and growing)

There are over 20,000 organic farms in the US.

Total US farmland is worth over 3 trillion.

The idea that Monsanto is "taking over the organic marketplace to shut it down" would be like seeing a garter snake near a bison and claiming that the bison was in danger of being swallowed whole.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:36 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Considering the passionate views on organic food in this forum and so forth, I don't think it's reasonable to think that Monsanto can win over those people by buying organic farms and converting them.

The people whom demand\prefer organic will be an unserved market and that would entice other farm operations to switch over to organic.

Lastly, Monsanto has a market capitalization of 45billion and revenues of about 15billion.

The idea that Monsanto is "taking over the organic marketplace to shut it down" would be like seeing a garter snake near a bison and claiming that the bison was in danger of being swallowed whole.
And they have a goal of increasing shareholder wealth, that is it. I am sure Monsanto, and other large companies in other industries, are looking at the decline of the once invincible macro-brews, and the strategy large, corporate pet food companies are successfully using to combat against the small, independent companies (Purina acquired yet another on just this summer).

Monsanto does not have to win them over, nor are they trying. They just have to create barriers that will severely limit the ability for people to purchase organic, non-high profit Monsanto products. Just look at the history of Monsanto, they use the same strategy for everything. They know they will never win over those who really want an organic product, their goal is for the common person who is indifferent not to be swayed to organics, or develop a real want for organics.

Monsanto's biggest fear in my opinion is not the physical organic product, but the tide of legislation could be turned against them, this is entering the organic business is just part of the strategy.

I am not a "Monsanto hater", because it is a large company that has done a lot of great things that span much more than this topic. However, I strongly disagree with them in this area of their business.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,965,482 times
Monsanto is awesome. Why would I be worried?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:44 AM

191 posts, read 162,922 times
I think the term people are looking for here is "monopoly." That's what they're worried about. The concern is that Monsanto is attempting to monopolize the market for their own monetary gain, and they are using unfair and unscrupulous means to do so. Did I get that right?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,144,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Agreed. Anybody with half-functioning brain cells and minimal reading comprehension should be able to figure out how utterly nonsensical this conspiracy theory is.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,630,044 times
Monsanto used to be here locally and now gone. There still is cleanup going on years after they left. They are in many foreign countries now as their job is grow it faster while to many they are threatening health of populations. To many around the globe just the word monsanto makes even the poorest of nations cringe and they have come up with their own common sense plans for growing that arent poisoning the people and land. Alot of programming on this subject. Some of the smartest people on the planet are those with no education just a boatload of common sense and one person to tell them how to do it.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 PM

102,062 posts, read 106,950,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azula View Post
I think the term people are looking for here is "monopoly." That's what they're worried about. The concern is that Monsanto is attempting to monopolize the market for their own monetary gain, and they are using unfair and unscrupulous means to do so. Did I get that right?
Monopolies used to be illegal. Whatever happened to that?

Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM

77,744 posts, read 59,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Monopolies used to be illegal. Whatever happened to that?
They still are. Logically, you should question the persons claim rather than accept it from some anonymous internet person and then surmise that somehow the nefarious company is now monopoly-proof as well. lol.

What you have here is a classic case of media influence on perception.

Monsanto is to the left what the "liberal media" is to the right.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:31 PM

4,153 posts, read 4,394,540 times
What does Monsanto and the food manufacturers have to hide?
Koch-backed law seeks to block GMO labeling | Environment | Wisconsin Gazette - Smart, independent and revealing. News, opinion and entertainment coverage

I'd like to know what I'm eating what about you?

Dr. Philip Regal, professor emeritus of Ecology, Evolution and Behavior at the University of Minnesota: "Over the last 15 years, I and other scientists have put the FDA on notice about the potential dangers of genetically modified foods. Instead of responsible regulation we have seen bureaucratic bungling and obfuscation that have left public health and the environment at risk."

Regal is a plaintiff in a suit brought by concerned scientists and consumers against the federal U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for failing to protect public health and provide consumers with relevant information about GM foods.

Before the FDA and USDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, their own scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases and nutritional problems. They urged long -term safety studies, but were ignored. Since then findings include:
1) Thousands of sheep, buffalo and goats in India died after grazing on GM cotton plants
2) Mice eating GM corn had fewer and smaller babies
3) More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks
4) Testicle cells of mice and rats on GM soy change significantly
5) By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies
6) Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity
7) Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK soon after GM soy was introduced
8) The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth a condition that may lead to cancer;
9) And studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels

Unlike safety evaluators for drugs, there are no human clinical trials of GM foods. The only published human feeding experiment revealed that the genetic material inserted into GM soy transfers into bacteria living inside our intestines and continues to function. This means that long after we stop eating GM foods, we may still have their GM proteins produced continuously inside us.

I won't go on but if anyone is interested there is information. As for Monsanto in "organic", I surmise it would be like when Walt Disney extended their movie production realm to adult oriented productions via Touchstone Pictures and other corporate entities of various broadcast media.

These types of concentration on a public good (food supply) are not good. Sort of like letting banks become able to engage in all manner of financial activities... that one turned out real well didn't it?

Just some things to think about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living