U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM

306 posts, read 90,801 times

Advertisements

What are some good ways to go green? Some ways I do that are not using paper towels, but regular towels and blow driers, as well as reusable water containers instead of plastic bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:09 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,852,224 times
If it makes you feel good great, but really won't make any difference to environment one way or another.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If it makes you feel good great, but really won't make any difference to environment one way or another.
True, but using reusable water bottles does save plastic, and not using paper towels does keep trees from being used as them.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:41 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,583,626 times
I try to keep it simple and manageable, avoiding the "pie-in-the-sky" save-the-world-by-close-of-business-so-i-can-go-party guilt-free type of "green".

One, I use the clothes line when ever possible. Clothes are "stiff" wyaaah deal with it. That's how it was done back in the day.
Using the clothes line leaves the clothes smelling much fresher, they get sunlight that kills germs and the like. They are not worn out as fast and this saves me from paying for newer clothes and for power to run the drier.

I recycle all non-food items to a single point recycling center. The recycling dumpster is free all I have to do is drive over there with the trailer and toss it all in! Glass, plastics metals all go into one dumpster, and it's free. If you're too lazy to go into town now and again you ain't very "green" at all but just a poser.

All food scraps go to the chickens or the pigs or the goats. Virtually no food scraps are tossed out.

I use the wood stove to heat the house as much as possible. Collect free wood and have never paid for it once.

Try using things long ago considered by some to be "dated" "antique" or simply "old" but that are still perfectly functional. If you simply MUST have the latest fashion three four five times a year, you're not very "green". The fashion industry has got to be one of the MOST environmentally IN-sensitive phenomena out there.

Keep your grand-dads tools! Keep them maintained and use them!
Don't buy new unless you have no choice. If you buy, get items that are "user maintained", ie YOU keep it going, instead of just tossing it into the land-fill when it breaks because you CAN'T fix it. Keep it for decades!

Keep the vehicle running. Change your driving habits some, keep it at 60 or below, air up the tires to near max, keep the fluids up and the bearings well lubed. Go with a slightly lighter weight lube oil if you are able. Ditch the stupid looking ghettooo hot-wheels monster tires and rims and go for the tallest and most NARROW all season tire you can get on the lightest weight rims. This will help your mpg! Even the old truck gets 22 mpg! Not bad for a 83' full sized truck. Go 80... and watch your mileage plummet.

Fix everything and use it till it drops. Many things will last decades! If you're the type that needs constantly the "newest" and all that... No.

Learn how to fix and do things for yourself!

Wrap your heater in an insulating blanket. Put in a waste-heat pre-heater for your hot water "IN" line. This will pre-heat the incoming water to the hot side just a bit so the heater does not work so hard. (You use less energy).

Wrap all your hot-water pipes and all your HVAC ducting if possible.
Shoot insulating foam (spray can) into every crevice nook and cranny. Keep the bugs, mice and drafts out. Insulate attic, floors, walls and roves. Initial cost is high but you'll get that back.

Put in as much solar and wind as you can. Even a small set up is something. There should not be a rooftop in this country that does not have a panel on it.

If your place is windy put in a small turbine. Can be done for less than 2k, if you use your resources and imagination. I used an old radio tower and it worked great. Wind will blow all day, all night. What I don't use goes to the grid, I get tax and power company credit. Sure, sometimes I have to "buy" power, but not nearly as much as before. System payed for itself in just under a year, after that... gravy.

Put up rain barrels! Why use water from the system? Rain is FREE!

Be SMART with your money. Do not buy what you absolutely do not need. Reuse and re-purpose anything and everything. Try it! Its FUN!

You CAN do it! Even small scale! TRY!

Last edited by Happy Cells; 10-08-2015 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: ox0

Old 10-08-2015, 05:32 PM

1,601 posts, read 745,588 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3CZBDz7Wg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7czKngCUASM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGdtLxE9nek

Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 PM

39,190 posts, read 40,571,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleTurtle View Post
True, but using reusable water bottles does save plastic, and not using paper towels does keep trees from being used as them.
Trees are a renewable resource and when manged properly can provide an infinite amount of product. The amount of forested area in the US has grown slightly in the last century. It is declining world wide.

Whether the practice of using a regular towel over paper is more environmentally friendly is going to get very complicated and depend a lot on your habits. If I wash my face during the day I want a fresh towel or paper towel to dry it so I just use paper so they don't accumulate.

The big factor in comparing is going to be the energy required to harvest and manufacture the paper vs the energy expense and resources of laundering the fabric. This b rings up other issues such as if you live in area with water issues... I honestly would not be surprised if the paper was better in most places for small things.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,164,019 times
-I don't use paper towels or napkins. Only use cloth to clean.
-Don't buy chemical cleaners. I have used nothing but vinegar, baking soda and lemons for years and my house is spotless.
-Avoid made In China products, and anything built cheaply with disposable planned obsolescence. Shoot for 2nd hand tools, garden implements and kitchenware. There is a reason a lot of it is still around and considered vintage or antique; it will probably still outlast your lifetime too. Most are made in USA also.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
-I don't use paper towels or napkins. Only use cloth to clean.
-Don't buy chemical cleaners. I have used nothing but vinegar, baking soda and lemons for years and my house is spotless.
-Avoid made In China products, and anything built cheaply with disposable planned obsolescence. Shoot for 2nd hand tools, garden implements and kitchenware. There is a reason a lot of it is still around and considered vintage or antique; it will probably still outlast your lifetime too. Most are made in USA also.
I don't use chemical cleaners, either. Everything I use is all-natural and eco-friendly. I care deeply about helping to protect the environment not only around me, but the environment around the world as well.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:00 AM

15,254 posts, read 12,492,836 times
Quote:
I don't use chemical cleaners, either. Everything I use is all-natural and eco-friendly. I care deeply about helping to protect the environment not only around me, but the environment around the world as well.
I havent use strong chemicals for many years because of my health issues.. I do my dishes.. wash clothes,clean floors with Bio products,more shops have to stock good quality cleaning products as smaller shops have nothing to offer in the way of chemical free cleaners.... and continue to stack the shelves with harming cleaners.. time it all stopped.. surely people have realized how dangerous these cleaners are to our health, especially to babies and younger children...

Old 10-09-2015, 01:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,509 posts, read 54,051,619 times
Quote:
True with water bottles, but not for paper towels. It takes water, electricity, and/or natural gas used to wash and dry the cloth towels, over and over again. Most paper towels are made from 100% recycled fibers from other paper waste. They are actually more earth friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or