Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

I by no means have a “green” lifestyle but I do drop in here every once in a while to learn a thing or two. My greenness goes as far as not wasting energy or other natural resources but I am not putting myself through hardship just to be green. This brings me to living “off the grid”. First of all, what does it exactly mean? Does it refer to just electricity or all modern amenities? Given the normal needs of human beings, is it even possible to disconnect from the world? Do you have to live in a cabin in the woods to live off the grid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:52 PM

569 posts, read 552,093 times
I think it means living without the electricity.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 PM

569 posts, read 552,093 times
And when you lived off the grids, you might find out the civilizations were built for you; not the opposites. And that was how we, or at least -me alone, kept the prices of the consumers' products low in Asia. It was because "ye shall be its desires."

The todays' kids were too obsessive with the technologies. My gains though.

Last edited by CPPU12345; 12-01-2015 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: edited: obsessive.....my gains though.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:36 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Off grid means just as is sounds. You are living without having to connect to the utilities. Does it mean you have no electricity or water? No. Does it mean cooking over an open flame and keeping food in ice chests? No.
I lived off grid for many years. We homestead 80 acres of raw land. We found a spring that we could gravity feed to the home flat. It provides water year round for the house and garden. Solar panels provide electricity for all lights and electronics. When laundry needs to be done, that's when the generator gets turned on. Laundry and power tools are really the main need for a generator. Stove is propane. Hot water heater is a Paloma (by demand), but there is also a wood stove water heater if one is so inspired. Heat is wood obviously. The refrigerator is a three way, RV fridge. Runs 110, 12v or propane. We run it on propane, takes about a gallon a month, so a small BBQ tank lasts near half the year just for the fridge.

There is really not much 'added' to living off grid when it comes to the every day needs. And in the end, no bills that one needs to remember to pay. Getting propane bottles filled is nothing more than filling the gas tank or getting groceries.
The biggest difference is AC vs DC and the whole solar power system. Anything that can be had that is DC power keeps the power consumption lower. That requires a different kind of shopping. 12v bulbs can't be had in most general stores. Automotive, RV supply or alternative power stores is where one would have to go to get these. Things like televisions can also be found in 12v, just have to go to the specialty shops. Some things can cost a little more. But I think it works out better in the long run. My 12v tv is small and old, but still works.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:54 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
When I was living in my truck during some pretty bad storms in the Bay Area that was knocking out power to everyone, I never worried because I knew I could always go back to my truck and have light, heat, and hot food (propane). This was over Thanksgiving and I was probably lots more comfortable than a lot of other people. There's something to be said for living off the grid.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 AM

783 posts, read 694,872 times
Living off the grid probably means what it sounds like when someone says it. However the vast majority of people including enviros don't want to actually disconnect from the grid. Most enviros live in cities and I doubt that they would seriously en masse leave the city for a rural lifestyle supported only by a solar panel. Most people actually mean that they want to live net-zero, which is essentially that they no longer consume more energy from the grid than what they can produce. So living "off the grid" is really more of a calculation of total energy use. This is mainly for efficiency and conservation.

Don't get too hyped up about it. I think living net-zero is a fine goal to have, I can't take anything else seriously for any significant group of people in reality. Even having all people become net-zero would be tough for cities. So I don't foresee that anytime in the future... EVER

Old 12-02-2015, 12:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
It does not necessarily mean living without electricity, it means not being tied into the utility grid. Many off the grid folk make use of solar and wind energy sometimes supplemented by gas generators, propane, etc.

The appeal is self sufficiency for most folks.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:45 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
^^^ This

For people who are alarmed about an uncertain future, the ability to survive and thrive independently provides comfort.

Imagine what will happen in the cities if the grid goes down and doesn't come back up for one year.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:12 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
People love the (mostly) false idea that they can survive on their own without the need for other people.

Try fixing your heart attack without someone to help you. I wonder how many heart attack survivors still want to live "off the grid."

Old 12-02-2015, 07:13 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It does not necessarily mean living without electricity, it means not being tied into the utility grid. Many off the grid folk make use of solar and wind energy sometimes supplemented by gas generators, propane, etc.

I would say the appeal is living in an incredibly beautiful and private place.
And having it mostly to myself because the power companies have decided not to serve the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living