Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 08:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Cheese-based power station in the Alps produces enough power to supply a community of 1,500

Bacteria are added to the whey to produce the gas, which is then used to generate electricity that is sold to the energy company EDF.

“Whey is our fuel,” said François Decker of Valbio, the company that designed and built the power station, which opened in October. “It’s quite simply the same as the ingredient in natural yoghurt.”

French power station generates electricity from cheese - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 04:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
nothing new just digester gas...Anything that can be digested will create methane....

Old 12-23-2015, 04:41 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Very interesting John, thanks for the link.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:49 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
here's one that uses food waste a bit closer to home...
BioPower - Avant Energy

P.S. what they don't tell you is is down for maintenance 65% of the time.....

Old 11-17-2020, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,882 times
I think solar energy is not enough for our needs. I am thinking of installing solar plants, but I heard it is expensive and doesn't provide enough power. But please, don’t think that I’m against green energy. I installed a few solar plants on my roof. I noticed the bill reduction, but I cannot say that I completely stopped using power supplied by our city. The same thing with my RV, I installed solar plants on a top, but during our trip, I noticed that the battery supply is not enough power to satisfy our needs.

Last edited by RobiN0963; 11-17-2020 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 06:45 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Every "new" technology is constrained by the discipline imposed by the market -- if something doesn't cover all its costs and "pay its way" over the long run, it won't be used to any degree that has a meaningful impact.

This is called economics, and no bureaucratic fiat can overrule it for any length of time.

BUT circumstances change over time, and there is all the time in the word for any process to become more efficient.

These are the laws of a free market in action; enough said?

Old 11-17-2020, 08:45 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Cheese-based power station ....]
Doesn't surprise me a bit...I know that Limburger Cheese made here in WI sure packs a wallop. It's about time someone tried to harness it.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:23 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Here in Chemnitz, the city power and steam plant located a few kilometers north of my apartment burns brown coal from an open pit mine. The coal is hauled by train from 70 or so kilometers north. The tall smokestack of the power plant is the tallest structure in the region. There is a long term plan to convert the plant from burning coal onto natural gas (probably piped in from Russia), but I don't think they have all the details finalized.

The power plant needs to burn something or other to keep the steam boilers boiling. In Chemnitz, most of the large apartment buildings (mine included) and most commercial office buildings are hooked up to the city steam pipe grid, which provides 24x7 pressurized steam for the (tap) water heaters and hot water heating systems in the buildings. No natural gas or supplemental gas fired water heaters are needed in the buildings, which is great. It is actually quite efficient and "green", even though the steam is supplied by a coal fired city power & steam plant.

Somehow, I don't think a cheese fired power plant would "cut it" (pun intended), to replace the big coal fired power plant here. Nor would wind or solar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living