U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2016, 10:06 AM
 
12,267 posts, read 15,136,119 times
Reputation: 8068

Advertisements

Did you know that Texas, the oil producing State filled with Republican politicians who never miss a chance to criticize renewable energy, is the nation's leading wind power producer?
Texas Wind Farms Generate So Much Power Utilities Are Giving Electricity Away for Free
I heard of an experiment in lower night rates. Utilities found some customers started doing laundry in the wee hours.

Last edited by pvande55; 01-09-2016 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Add line (written, not electrical)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Minnysoda
8,586 posts, read 8,500,535 times
Reputation: 5153
And they learned the painful price several years ago...

Loss of wind causes Texas power grid emergency | Reuters

Texas Power Grid In State Of Emergency CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM
 
Location: DC
6,510 posts, read 6,431,855 times
Reputation: 3112
A George Bush initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,163 posts, read 2,962,213 times
Reputation: 9377
We had night rates in Arizona, we loaded the washing machine earlier and started it at 9 pm. Same with the dishwasher.

In Boca Raton there were no night rates, but we had a timer that shut off the water heater during the night.

In another home we had a heat exchanger that heated our hot water with waste heat from the air conditioner. The hot water heater was switched off all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 04:32 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 9,830,913 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not so painful, mostly Drama.

---------------------------

First Story. Some large users are on First to Fail contracts. They agree to a Cheap Price in exchange for being the customer who goes without.

Real Bargain for all sides, overall.

--------------------------

Second Story. Summer Peak Use due to Air Conditioning. Gets Hot, here. Has nothing to do with Wind or the Lack of.

A better overall design would have been More Solar and Less Wind for Texas.

But like DC noted -- there was a 2.2 centavo per Kilowatt incentive created for Big Wind.

More Solar would have / will hit the Daytime Peak use much better than Wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM
 
Location: DC
6,510 posts, read 6,431,855 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Not so painful, mostly Drama.

---------------------------

First Story. Some large users are on First to Fail contracts. They agree to a Cheap Price in exchange for being the customer who goes without.

Real Bargain for all sides, overall.

--------------------------

Second Story. Summer Peak Use due to Air Conditioning. Gets Hot, here. Has nothing to do with Wind or the Lack of.

A better overall design would have been More Solar and Less Wind for Texas.

But like DC noted -- there was a 2.2 centavo per Kilowatt incentive created for Big Wind.

More Solar would have / will hit the Daytime Peak use much better than Wind.
If this is the outage from some years ago, it was primarily a failure to forecast a weather related peak and secondly the failure to perform by several fossil fueled units. Wind was a distant 3rd on the list of causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2016, 09:49 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 9,830,913 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
If this is the outage from some years ago, it was primarily a failure to forecast a weather related peak and secondly the failure to perform by several fossil fueled units. Wind was a distant 3rd on the list of causes.
Yeah fortunately I had not worked on those new Coal Plants (I only got projects on upgrades to the old Legacy Plants )

The Instrumentation and Controls were not very well insulated and not heat-traced enough and the New Plants' control systems froze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 AM
 
Location: DC
6,510 posts, read 6,431,855 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Yeah fortunately I had not worked on those new Coal Plants (I only got projects on upgrades to the old Legacy Plants )

The Instrumentation and Controls were not very well insulated and not heat-traced enough and the New Plants' control systems froze.
Places like PJM are starting to put significant penalties on capacity that fails to start when called upon. The biggest issue from my perspective was to poor forecasting. That's more critical within the ERCOT region of Texas because they have chosen not to interconnect with other regions. It is hard to fix stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 PM
 
554 posts, read 898,174 times
Reputation: 418
We get TX wind power here with Austin Energy green choice. It's like $5/month more than coal/default power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,574 posts, read 8,402,034 times
Reputation: 29141
I just love it when the first sentence of a post and thread starts by bashing our state and the politics of SOME of its elected officials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top