Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 04:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

The U.S. Could Switch to Mostly Renewable Energy, No Batteries Needed | Science | Smithsonian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND ACRES have been destroyed in Washington state alone by Industrial Wind Areas.

I don't have an accurate estimate for Oregon, but with a new project covering a HUNDRED miles north of Bend, Oregon we are probably looking a half a million acres.

Go on Google earth and see how much land is covered by that amount of acreage.

Do we really want to destroy that much of our natural landscapes??

PS. I have NO objection to placing Industrial Windmill areas INSIDE of urban areas.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND ACRES have been destroyed in Washington state alone by Industrial Wind Areas.

I don't have an accurate estimate for Oregon, but with a new project covering a HUNDRED miles north of Bend, Oregon we are probably looking a half a million acres.

PS. I have NO objection to placing Industrial Windmill areas INSIDE of urban areas.
Yes, let's put a wind turbine on top of the Sears Tower, and the Empire State Building, and the Washington Monument, etc.
When I drive up U.S. 191 from Harlowton to Judith Gap, it seems like much of the time the windmills are idle. The same goes for the massive "wind farm" between Cut Bank and Browning near U.S. 2!
If they are not turning, they are useless!

Old 01-26-2016, 08:16 PM

783 posts, read 694,872 times
I 100% agree with the article. I think it would be awesome if we would spend this next decade investing in our infrastructure.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:47 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Pure Pie-in-the-Sky speculation ...

too bad Smithsonian bought into this nonsense.

and, FWIW, many of the coastal areas of the USA have high average annual wind energy densities. So the transmission distance and costs would be substantially lower than bringing electricity a thousand or more miles from it's point of generation to it's point of use with all the transmission losses. But the folk who would be using the electricity can't be bothered with the possibility of having their view spoiled by those ugly wind farms.

Nor do they recognize all the wildlife losses due to the wind farms, nor the downtime due to mechanical failures in this industry.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:35 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
I live offgrid, I've got 1290W (of solar) , but only have wired up 760.
(1100 amp hour battery bank)

I live just fine. (Watching a movie as I type this)

Key is conservation.

That's all we need to do.

Americans won't

Old 01-26-2016, 10:45 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
There was a man named Tesla who did a lot of research on this subject, as a result the nation went with high voltage AC power. It is still working today.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Wind farm encumber very little ground. About an acre per turbine and they are widely spaced.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:33 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Why all the Wind Drama?

Only reason it is so popular at the Corporate Level is the combination of the Recovery.gov Grants + the 2.2 Centavos per kWh tax credit.

And Wind tends to be a little sorry when it comes to Time of Production v. Time of Use. Wind produces best at night (very little power use then) and Spring and Fall -- which are also low demand as there are much smaller Heating or Cooling loads than Winter or Summer.

Give the Grant Money and Tax Credits to General Purpose (not the Huge Utility Arrays) Solar PV and Solar Thermal (which does produce when power is needed, as it closely matches the Daily Use Peak) and we could already be turning off more Coal and Nukes.

Solar does not even need to take up any land -- as overhead cover for parking lots, roof-tops, and placement overhead along roadways (all near places where power is actually used) could handle all the power the US uses -- including replacing the Oil/Internal Combustion Engine Ground Vehicles.

Some of the Make-Believe Problems are just silly.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Agree it is silly -- as so little power is used in those areas -- it forces the creation of the Second Blight -- Transmission Towers.

(WE) Engineers -- it seems especially Utility Electrical Engineers -- have a hard or slow time with this . . .

You may be a bit interested in this perspective >>>

http://ideapete.com/pdfs/ThePowerofU...urIndustry.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living