U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 11:00 AM

5,090 posts, read 9,816,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Lower gas prices = less fracking, less tar sand recovery. All in all, it may be a wash as far as the environment is concerned - IF - all factors are taken into account.

Thorium based nukes might be an answer down the road. Research continues.
You follow that Thorium sourced Electricity (or cheaper Clean Renewable), or Coal or Nat Gas, or whatever sourced Electricity does not mean much in the Cross back and forth to Oil? Lot of folks confuse that because both Electricity and Oil are (mis)labeled as "Energy" in general use of the words.

Reason they are not really interchangeable is because Electric Motors and Internal Combustion Engines are very different animals. Oil (or Gasoline, as this thread started) is primarily used for Internal Combustion Engines.

Does not seem to matter how much Electricity we produce . . . without replacing the ICEs with Electric Motors, we never get off the Oil.

But back to the start -- Cheap Gasoline. It buys US some time to get off ICEs as much as we will before the other side of the price wave hits. If we keep moving away from Oil, we will be safe. If we rush back to Oil . . . we are screwed -- both in terms of Environment and Economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,953,400 times
I believe they are, although I think the net of more gas consumption versus less refining and f-ing up the environment to find oil is probably zeroed out. Just take a look at the destruction in those Canadian oil sands...Yuck.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:32 AM

12,245 posts, read 15,087,587 times
If car buyers are sure gas prices will be low as long as they own it, many will buy large vehicles. Less interest in hybrids and electrics, only tree huggers will buy?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:15 PM

16,488 posts, read 20,864,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm not sure what sort of scenario the OP is referring to but I believe all gas pumps in NM and TX have signs that require you to kill your engine before refueling.

Around here, if you leave your engine running and unattended for long, you may find your vehicle in Mexico.
That's what happened in my area just last week. I live in western Colorado in Mesa County. A couple years ago the state passed a law regarding vehicles that are running and no one in sight regarding the operator of the vehicle.

Until last week we had single digit temps at night, one day Mesa County Sheriffs office reported 14 vehicles stolen in a days time. Now that sounds like a big city stat except where I live is not big city by ANY stretch! A good portion of the Grand Junction area is retirees, they're the ones who are victimized.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM

12,489 posts, read 16,545,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
That's what happened in my area just last week. I live in western Colorado in Mesa County. A couple years ago the state passed a law regarding vehicles that are running and no one in sight regarding the operator of the vehicle.

Until last week we had single digit temps at night, one day Mesa County Sheriffs office reported 14 vehicles stolen in a days time. Now that sounds like a big city stat except where I live is not big city by ANY stretch! A good portion of the Grand Junction area is retirees, they're the ones who are victimized.
My small town has only 1200 people but, whenever I'm in the local convenience store or the post office, my vehicle doors may be unlocked but I have my keys with me.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:21 PM

24,509 posts, read 35,270,218 times
Quote:
My small town has only 1200 people but, whenever I'm in the local convenience store or the post office, my vehicle doors may be unlocked but I have my keys with me.
You don't need the keys to drive most modern cars if the engine is already on....

Old 02-14-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You don't need the keys to drive most modern cars if the engine is already on....
There's not many new cars in this poor town. My own vehicle is 19 years old.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 35,270,218 times
Quote:
There's not many new cars in this poor town. My own vehicle is 19 years old.
I remember that my dad had a 1981 Buick Century where you could actually remove the key while the car was on and it would still drive. I never saw that in any other car.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I remember that my dad had a 1981 Buick Century where you could actually remove the key while the car was on and it would still drive. I never saw that in any other car.
I've only seen that in a few broken ignition switches in the old cars. Unfortunately whenever my own ignition switches broke, the ignition also failed.

Are you saying the Buick Century was built to work that way?

Old 02-15-2016, 12:17 PM

1,516 posts, read 948,966 times
In short, yes.

Just look at what the car companies are doing with their production facilities for your answers- the demand for gas guzzlers is at its highest point in a decade, to the point that carmakers are retooling their factories to produce more SUVs and fewer gas sipping sedans and compacts.

It's unfortunate- I'm a battery geek and dream of owning an EV with great range one day, and batteries have been advancing by leaps and bounds during high gas prices, but now that the prices are low I doubt companies will continue dumping cash into their EV fleet. Even hybrids are in danger at these prices.

I'm not really an environmentalist but I just love EV and also just efficiency. The payoff period for an EV is now much longer than the life of the car, especially since electricity prices haven't dropped in tandem with gas prices. I once looked at buying a Chevy Volt, and here in NJ with our high electricity costs, the cost of the first 40 miles of driving in terms of electricity were actually almost higher than a gallon of gas back when gas was around $2 per gallon. Now that difference is even worse. I'm better off with a hybrid that gets >40mpg. At today's prices, I'm better off with a car that gets even ~28mpg. Electricity is just so darned expensive in this state (over $0.18 per KwH)

But, at least in the US, cars are not a major contributor to pollution as our EPA has done an amazing job at making cars clean. It's the trucks, planes, and boats that are the major transportation polluters, and now with low gas prices and low airfares, air travel will increase as will certain types of shipping. The only thing holding this growth in check is the near-recession that the market is experiencing.

I know it's blasphemous, but I really hope we start seeing really high gas prices again so that we can keep seeing more and more advances in the alternative energy space. People can compensate for high gas prices as we've seen during $4+ gas (i.e. live closer to work, drive a more efficient car), but the alternative energy industry can't compete against low dirty energy prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or