Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The Stone Age ended when easier, cheaper, better materials came along. Alternative energies are none of the above. A recent study cited in on the other thread shows a new solar plant would cost more than 10x the cost of a new gas-fired plant. It would also be more intrusive on the environment.
Slow down a second. You really do not follow what you have cited (with the apparent "Free" Natural Gas) is just about a parody -- or if real -- was written by dummies for dummies?

Real question -- you really did not follow that? Where does the "Free" Natural Gas come from?

The Free Sunlight Falls out of the sky daily just about everywhere most humans actually live.

Over the Service Life (about 25 years) the total cost of owning and operating the Natural Gas Plant would cost about 3 to 5 times as much as the Solar.

And I agree with you regarding Land Use.

Distributed Renewable Generation -- like say Solar over commercial roofs and parking lots -- that uses NO Land -- and where the Power is Generated close to the End User is FAR BETTER than Central Plant Solar -- which may have to sent 100's of miles. But that wipes out the Corporate Utility Cash Flow. Such a problem.

Quote:

I can't wait to see the Indy 500 go electric. Instead of pit crews feverishly changing tires and pouring in fuel, they'll be sitting there on barca lounges, smoking pipes, reading the paper or playing bridge while the car is plugged into the outlet for an hour ;-)
Welcome to 1980.

About the time Rechargeable Cordless Power Tools came out.

Did you ever notice that most of the commercial Rechargeable Tool Kits come with TWO Batteries?

One Battery in the Charger, while the other battery is in use? hmmmmm. Let's think about that for a minute.

Well, probably a minute is too long. Batteries swap out in Seconds.

Means my Electric just beat your Oil Burner.

In and out of the pits, as well as around the track.

Real Question? How old are you?

I don't mean to pry or be too personal -- just seems you have the Old Dog + New Tricks problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
My Indy reference was meant to be humorous.

Yes, I am an old flatus--old enough to to remember how things were 60 yrs ago and how we've advanced, but more importantly- how that advancement has plateaued. It took 55 yrs to go from the first powered flight to the first space flight, then 10 more yrs to the first moon landing. We haven't been back to the moon in 40 yrs.

Battery technology hasn't really advance a whole heckuvalot in the last 50 yrs. Solar cell tech has made only minor improvements over its whole lifetime.

All growth phenomena follow a sigmoid curve, approaching the limiting capacity asymptotically. Until a new break thru and fresh paradigm comes up, I think we're really close to our limit in energy tech.

Your point about continuing cost of fuel as opposed to sunlight is well taken. But at 10x start-up & replacement cost for the solar array, fossil is still the most economical. (Just like I've argued here about personal PV systems: just about the time they've paid for themselves, they have to be replaced.)

It's not a matter of "either fossil or alternatives." It's a matter of judicious use of both. Fossil fuels won't kill us and alternatives won't save us.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
It's not profitable to have a gas station in NYC because the land is more valuable having something on it and stacked as high as possible.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:51 PM

199 posts, read 141,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
(Just like I've argued here about personal PV systems: just about the time they've paid for themselves, they have to be replaced.)
I thought we made a lot of advancements in solar power over the past decade.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jate88 View Post
I thought we made a lot of advancements in solar power over the past decade.
Thanks to child & slave labor and the use of coal for production in China, the cost of solar cells has come down considerably, but the technology in today's product hasn't improved a whole heckuvalot since the 1960s--> 60 yrs ago.

1957-- first cells with 8% efficiency
1980-- first cells with 20% efficiency
2018--we're still at 20% efficiency except under unusual lab conditions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_solar_cells

Old 01-11-2018, 04:39 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
But how does the number of stations compare to the number of pumps? It seems they're measuring each plug a as a charging station, when each gas station has a minimum of four pumps if not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living