U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 AM

7,233 posts, read 6,398,105 times

Advertisements

Wind power has a lot of potential but placement is important. Keeping them away from major migratory routes for birds will help. I doubt any bird species will ever go extinct from them.. if anything the transmission lines required to get the power out from these relatively rural areas provide them a safe perching spot from ground predators that makes up for any deaths that might occur.

As far as cluttering up the view, they don't bother me in the least seeing them around here.. it's mostly farmland and very rural area. It's an imperfect solution for an imperfect world... a way to supplement the main grid in a way to reduce pollution. I think they do more good than harm. You could power a big chunk of the country from just putting wind power in the purple areas in South Dakota, but you need transmission lines, like already mentioned.

It probably is best to avoid putting them on federal owned lands or major natural areas where it might disrupt the scenery and affect people's perception of them negatively. Stick them in the great plains.. that's where they belong.
Attached Thumbnails
Wind Turbines to continue killing Eagles.....with Obama's Permission-sd_80m.jpg  

Last edited by stockwiz; 03-16-2017 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,406,493 times
As far as I know, there aren't wind farms being built on National Parks.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 PM

12,489 posts, read 16,541,586 times
Unfortunately, I have just learned of another environmental effect for wind turbine towers and their associated power lines that feed into them, e.g. wireless internet. Ever since one of these power lines went in directly between my farm and the radio tower of my ISP, I have a difficult time receiving a wireless signal from any of the three wireless ISPs in our area. Wired internet is not available out here and, although satellite internet is, the costs are prohibitive.

Luckily I don't yet have any turbine generators near me but it is my understanding that living near an actual turbine can dramatically affect internet signals.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:29 PM

12,422 posts, read 4,677,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Unfortunately, I have just learned of another environmental effect for wind turbine towers and their associated power lines that feed into them, e.g. wireless internet. Ever since one of these power lines went in directly between my farm and the radio tower of my ISP, I have a difficult time receiving a wireless signal from any of the three wireless ISPs in our area. Wired internet is not available out here and, although satellite internet is, the costs are prohibitive.

Luckily I don't yet have any turbine generators near me but it is my understanding that living near an actual turbine can dramatically affect internet signals.
Start a dicker. Involve the FCC. Interfering with such signals is generally not allowed.

Practically they may be able to do a repeater or even a transmitter for one or more ISPs. You might end up with a winner. And if all else fails they may pay for satellite to avoid having to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living